Morghasts in 2nd ed..

FunkyPunk

Has anyone had success with morghasts in second edition?

I love the models, and am desperately trying to make them work. Not having the summonable keyword, plus their high price tag, makes it a difficult unit to work - especially with the likes of grimghasts flying about.

I feel like there’s two possible options:

1. In grand host for the +1 attack

2. In legion of night for a high chance of a charge off an ambush

But still unsure how to build lists around it. Any thoughts or insight from experience would be appreciated!

Theres kinda option 1.5 of taking Nagash so theyre battleline.

I guess the only thing to do is stockpile command points and buff a big unit of them. GHoN seem a lot better for this as the 5+++ variant is a big deal but with night you probably want the 3d6 more

With night you can fairly easily insert a useful unit of 2 but theyre nowhere near as good defensively or offensively

I dont think theyre bad, they just need support

I do like the morghast!

They are not highly competitive, but still a decent choice.

nagash makes them battleline for the extra trve flvff lists at 1.5k (Nagash a vamp, 10 wolves and 2x2 morghast was great fun)

legion of night ambush: of course... with a 3d6 charge it‘s hammertime 

legion of Blood: extra -1 bravery

legion of sacrament: distraction carnifex, they carry big bullseyes and keep your units unmolested till you have them positioned.

So they have a bunch of good uses throughout the legions. Not award winning cheese, but solid and cool options. Just don’t leave them alone out there...

I take Morghast Arcai in nearly all my armies other than Nighthaunt.

In grand host they get plus one attack and if you keep a vampire lord nearby to pop bloodfeast on them they get another attack (at -2 rend 3 damage, I could be wrong on the rend don't have the book on me) and give the vampire lord vile transference so he can attempt to heal them when possible. even a unit of 2 usually does all right for me

My experience with them is they are mega cool, but they just don't bring enough hurt to be competitive. 

For 220pts you get 12 wounds worth of morghasts and about ~8 damage on average.  This isn't very high. Compare to similar pts costs in skeletons and you are paying an awful lot for the additional mobility.

Compare to Blood Knights, which also aren't very good who do about a third more damage (on the charge) or a third less damage (not on the charge) 

I just think they struggle to find a place in the game. They don't hit hard enough to be a hammer and they aren't tough enough to be an anvil. Meanwhile, they aren't great at holding objectives and don't offer any unique utility so you basically just end up with an overcosted generic combat unit in an army that contains some very efficient generic combat units. 

I play against sylvaneth regularly and the tree lord ancient always has the 2+ save re-rolling ones and ignoring rend of -1. Very specific but that is my regular unit of annoyance; without Morghasts it would be Vhordrai or Nagash which are both a lot more expensive, ten attacks at -2 rend 3 damage can and has gotten rid of an absolute pai. I've tried the tarpit routine and in my experience it only works to a point, especially when your opponent is backing the tla up with a normal treelord when possible. As a side note I really expect treelords to be bumped up in points next ghb.

They are one of the few things with high rend...

and a night ambush from a vamp lord and 4 harbringers with halberds just brings the pain to your opponent.

Whatever people try to math in my face... XD

and never underestimate the psychological effect: big scary dudes, need to focus on them, while your 5 wolves hold the objective

Played them a bit.  With halberds, they're alright.  Not top end, but ok in a casual game.  A bit better in GH, and especially harbingers in LoN.  But yeah, they're not really efficient enough offensively or defensively that I'd expect to see much of them in a tournement context, not compared to efficient, recursive blocks like skeletons or grimghasts.

I play usually 1-2 units of them in the legion of Night. Usually I prefer the Harbingers cause they are faster to charge and  usually I play a unit with halberdsand the other with the swords, but a lot it's related what you need as weight in your list.

Archived