Nurgle Heroes, Who is the Serious Baydirt?

FullMetalRPG

Hey guys, I've been building up my Nurgle warband, focusing on Mortals and Rotbringers. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus and a brutal rage quit. So I've had to rebuild my collection. Right now I have a Start Collecting Slaves to Darkness box, that I throw Nurgle marks on, about 15 Plaguebearers and a Great Unclean One. Even though the long term plan is to bring in a bunch of Blightkings and Maggothlords, I still like the aesthetic of a mixed mortals and daemons army so I have some of that stuff in there too. In the future I'd like to bring in some Nurgling bases as well as some Blight Drones.

Right now I'm using the Lord of Plagues for my general, but I don't feel like he does a whole lot. I don't think he hits hard enough in combat to justify his position and his Nurgle's Rot Command Ability hasn't bowled me over in 1000 point play. (Do you think it gets better in 2000?)

What heroes are you guys playing with? Who is swinging the heavy lumber? Right now, Chaos Sorcerer Lord, Lord of Plagues and Great Unclean One just don't feel like they work very well together. Or do I just need to play more, and figure them out? Get at me! What are your opinions! YEAH!!!

The Lord of Plagues is indeed feeble. You want to go for either The Glottkin or Orghotts as a general (unless you can also field Old Archaon as general). Their command abilities work on all Nurgle which is handy. I don't rate the GUO. Warshrine synergises well with The Glottkin if you can roll a 3+. 

Epidemius is also interesting. I've not used him personally.

i cant see the appeal in orghotts, why do people rate him so highly?

i quite like having the harbringer of decay as my general for the bubble 5+ ward, sit him behind some blightkings/knights or something you want to live a little longer 

feel as though Glottkin is too expensive to play in 2k games hes 1/4 of the army! does he do 1/4 of the damage? 

See that 3+ save, see the Chaos keyword - what you are witnessing is a miracle.

The Command Ability is excellent - reroll wounds including shooting attacks i.e. Plagueclaw Catapults in turn one.

The Glottkin synergises well and can hit like a brick. Not as tough as he looks.

33 minutes ago, Nico said:

See that 3+ save, see the Chaos keyword - what you are witnessing is a miracle.

The Command Ability is excellent - reroll wounds including shooting attacks.

The Glottkin synergises well and can hit like a brick. Not as tough as he looks.

i do like orghotts' command ability but its only one unit, if its a large unit ( say 15 blightkings ) then yeah its good. but the guy himself i think is worse than Mobidex for the same cost.

Their statline is basically identical but Morbidex does 2 dmg per hit. i'd rather take the harbringer for a 7" bubble 5+ ward ( but maybe im going too tanky im unsure...)

5 attacks on a 3+ i think ( not done the math ) you're likely to hit at least 3 of them so orghotts' attack thing isn't going to proc that often is it? and its only 1 dmg.

Whereas morbidex's ability to self heal on a 4+ 1 wound per turn and d3 on a 6+ could keep him alive a turn or two more and keep his beastie dangerous for longer, to go with that if you do manage to fit a unit of nurglings in ( probably 6 models to make sure ) i doubt that unit will ever die ( a good position holding or aggression drawing tact id say. )

not only that his attacks which go through will do double the damage, again ive not done the math but it looks like he does more. 

im unsure, ive not play tested them both very much to compare

unlock the locus ability on daemons, or synergize with your other Nurgle stuff. I think its more about finding good combos with Nurgle than standalone bad man wrecking balls

I know Sayl the Faithless from Tamurkhan list is popular with his spell to move units around the battlefield, as Nurgle is so slow usually, but he is pretty expensive with the new points.

Tamurkhan is probably the killiest hero but his command ability isn't great (monsters re-roll charges) and at 500pts not sure he is worth it.

7 hours ago, Nico said:

I don't rate the GUO.

I don't care much for the GUO either. He doesn't do anything well enough to make me particularly enthused about him but I have the Forge World version because I love the model so much and I run him, just to get that sweet, sweet model on the table. This has it's own set of detriments because the perimeter of his base is so much wider than if I used the 60 mm version. It takes nothing for a group of Stormcast to run up and eat his lunch. I will say however, and this is perhaps a bit gamey, because he is such a wide, dense model and he's not doing anything interesting like jumping around, I can advance a group of infantry or a hero (or both) behind him and be relatively safe from shooting. Are the points worth buying a mobile hill? Probably not, but it is the one practical use I've found for this guy.

Also, he does trigger the Locus ability on my daemons, so I'll take that to the bank.

I dunno man if you compare him to a Drakesworn Templar which is also 500 pts Bubulos gives out more damage with his Crushing Jaws and Befouled Bulk attacks and Tamurkhan is tailored towards killing Characters which is nice, he heals d3 wounds per turn which is pretty massive. I think he is slightly overcosted, and should come in around 450, a bit less than glottkin, but he's still the heaviest hitter available to an all Nurgle list

6 hours ago, Arkiham said:

i quite like having the harbringer of decay as my general for the bubble 5+ ward, sit him behind some blightkings/knights or something you want to live a little longer 

I think that the Harbinger of Decay is my next purchase, I'd like to have one just for fun and variety and especially for Path to Glory scenarios. I can see using him to buff the Blightkings, but don't knights already get a 5+ for their ensorcelled shields? How do you feel about his weird Command Ability?

2 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I dunno man if you compare him to a Drakesworn Templar which is also 500 pts Bubulos gives out more damage with his Crushing Jaws and Befouled Bulk attacks and Tamurkhan is tailored towards killing Characters which is nice, he heals d3 wounds per turn which is pretty massive. I think he is slightly overcosted, and should come in around 450, a bit less than glottkin, but he's still the heaviest hitter available to an all Nurgle list

Damn brother, you are making a good case. My bank account is gonna be pretty beat up come Christmas!

1 minute ago, FullMetalRPG said:

Damn brother, you are making a good case. My bank account is gonna be pretty beat up come Christmas!

well as its such an expensive model, maybe proxy your FW GUO , his base is about the same size , and get the feel of how he plays and if he's worth shelling out all that dollar

1 minute ago, James McPherson said:

I like him (Harbinger) for his Daemon Keyword, can use him to unlock their locus ability and his movement can keep up with plague drones

Okay nice! I'm hoping to have something to combo with the Plague Drones! What would you recommend as the next purchase? Say I'm limiting myself to one warscroll per paycheck or less. Hit up the Plague Drones or Harbinger?

The Harbinger's Ward save is amazing and works on wounds and mortal wounds.

The Star Drake does loads of extra damage on its special rules - eats 3 models and tail swipe for mortal wounds. That's why its attack profile looks average. Above all else a 3+ save. Also Rain of Stars!

8 hours ago, James McPherson said:

I like him (Harbinger) for his Daemon Keyword, can use him to unlock their locus ability and his movement can keep up with plague drones

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but the Harbinger of Nurgle does not have the Plaguebearer Hero keywords to unlock the Locus abilities of the Plague Drones and Plaguebearers. The Herald of Nurgle have Plaguebearer Hero, and is the only one so far that I have found.

The introduction of the Generals Handbook and Artefacts / Allegiance / Command abilities the Great Unclean One did get some interesting new options that could improve his table time and I will be continuing to use one in upcoming events to see how he performs.

The Talisman of Chaos which gives you the extra 6+ ignore wound roll (5+ against order) when combined with his normal 4+save/5+ Nurgle ignore could make for a very strong objective holder. With his self healing D3 as well it means he's one of the more survivable choices and his Command Trait will be in use for more turns and further up the battlefield buffing the units that need it.

While he's not a stand out beat stick on his own a few low casting buffs and auras can make him pretty tough to fight. If you are using him in combination with Epidemius and a pair of Plague Claws to ramp the tally you could quickly become a somewhat unstoppable force.

+1 save from Epidemius Tally and Mystic Shield takes you to a nice 2+ save, followed by your 5+ ignore roll, followed by another 5+ ignore roll(6+ against non order) whilst healing D3 wounds in your own hero phase topped off with re-rolling 1's to hit and wound for your shooting and combat attacks. With the basic Chaos Allegiance ability on a roll of a 6 (5 with the upgrade) you are gaining +1 to hit and could further buff this with +1 to hit from the Lord of War Command Trait.

So with a bit of dedicated buffing and clever use of the new Artefact, Trait and Allegiance abilities he can become a bit of a 1 man wrecking crew!

Fair enough.

The Talisman of Chaos which gives you the extra 6+ ignore wound roll (5+ against order) when combined with his normal 4+save/5+ Nurgle ignore could make for a very strong objective holder. 

However, there's only one of the six battleplans where heroes (only) can capture. In the others you are looking at model count (which is worse than if the GUO counted as one unit and you counted units), so Plaguebearers are a natural choice.

32 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but the Harbinger of Nurgle does not have the Plaguebearer Hero keywords to unlock the Locus abilities of the Plague Drones and Plaguebearers. The Herald of Nurgle have Plaguebearer Hero, and is the only one so far that I have found.

The Harbinger of Decay has the Nurgle, Hero and Daemon keywords. The Daemons locus abilities were updated with the release of the Chaos Battletome and changed from "Plaguebearer Hero" to "Daemon Nurgle Hero". Archaon, Great Unclean One etc all fit this requirement now.

They also did the same with Flamers/Horrors etc and changed it to Tzeentch Deamon Hero, instead of Horror Hero.

14 minutes ago, Nico said:

Fair enough.

However, there's only one of the six battleplans where heroes (only) can capture. In the others you are looking at model count (which is worse than if the GUO counted as one unit and you counted units), so Plaguebearers are a natural choice.

By capture/hold with the GUO I'm referring to him actually sitting on it and killing everything else that is trying to get on it, not actually being the scoring unit himself. You would of course have your Plaguebearers being the scorer, as for cost/survivability they are a standout choice in any chaos list, especially one focused on buffing Nurgle

2 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

The Harbinger of Decay has the Nurgle, Hero and Daemon keywords. The Daemons locus abilities were updated with the release of the Chaos Battletome and changed from "Plaguebearer Hero" to "Daemon Nurgle Hero". Archaon, Great Unclean One etc all fit this requirement now.

They also did the same with Flamers/Horrors etc and changed it to Tzeentch Deamon Hero, instead of Horror Hero.

It seems that they did not update all the Warscrolls in the app then, because they still say Plaguebearer Hero.

I hope they actually intend to keep the app current, or else things could get confusing really fast.

Unfortunately a lot of the Daemon ones are out of date. Most of the ones that have a locus, a long with some characters. Kairos still has +2 to cast on the app! Heres the updated Plaguebearer one for example. This has been updated on the website as well, just not the app :(

nurgle.jpg

Archived