Coming up with an Areal Battle scenario

So I have this idea to do some sort of fun areal scenario.  Read the rules in the General's Handbook, and they look like a fun starting point, but I have something else in mind.

The rules for using foot troops in a sky battle is that they basically "Garison" a piece of terrain.  I was hoping to create a board that was in the sky, but had lots of floating islands, that were connected by a series of bridges.  I would do this so that foot troops could get a bit of mobility, and not have to stay the whole game Garisoned.  Maybe have a rule where some models might fall overboard somehow?

I don't know - what do you folks think?  Fun idea?  Any rules ideas I could implement?

Sounds great, the whole aerial battles thing really fired up my synapses when I read it in the book.

I've actually been thinking about a campaign (tentatively titled 'Grim Peaks') that would start with an aerial battle. Essentially it's a campaign to retake a historic mountain top fortress that was overrun generations ago and starts with a fleet of KO ships, skywardens and allies assaulting the top of the mountain to secure a beachhead. 

I was even thinking about painting a board with rivers, forests etc, but with everything much reduced in scale, then about 6" over that overlaying it with a perspex sheet, which the models would go on, a few clouds and the like would be placed between the layers.

There would be a few peaks popping through the clouds and the perspex sheet (much like your floating islands) that would be smaller garrisoned mountain top peaks and then on one whole  side of the board a larger mountain top area that could be properly manned by the defenders and would need to be taken by the attackers. Assuming the attack is successful that it's then into the tunnels for some cave fighting action.

-------------

On a related note I've been thinking if aerial battles do become more of a thing then I feel like you need two classes of flying models. Ones who can essentially float (certain nighthaunt for instance), and ones that can properly fly and take to the upper aerial level in fights.

Archived