Does Deathless minions 6+ save stack?

darthall

Question

The rule books says units get a 6+ Deathless Minions save if it is with 6" of the general or 6" of another hero. Does this mean the unit gets a 6+ save for being within 6" of the general, plus an additional 6+ save for each hero within the  6" range? Or just one 6+ save for being within 16" of the general or 6" of a hero? Is there an FAQ for this. Apologies if this has been asked many times before. But can't find any answers or FAQ for this.

Cheers

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, darthall said:

The rule books says units get a 6+ Deathless Minions save if it is with 6" of the general or 6" of another hero. Does this mean the unit gets a 6+ save for being within 6" of the general, plus an additional 6+ save for each hero within the  6" range? Or just one 6+ save for being within 16" of the general or 6" of a hero? Is there an FAQ for this. Apologies if this has been asked many times before. But can't find any answers or FAQ for this.

Cheers

"OR".

It doesn't stack.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

"OR".

It doesn't stack.

That's what I think. But I regularly play against a someone who runs LoN, and he says its stacks. I don't think he's trying to cheat, I honestly think he's just misunderstanding how it works. Been trying to find an FAQ for for all day.

For clarification the core rule book (or a very recent FAQ) states that Aura Abilities with the same name do not stack. Since Deathless Minions is the same name across those heroes the ability cannot be stacked.

this does mean though if there was another name to one of those saves then yes you could have multiple instances of 6+ wound saves after saves

47 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

For clarification the core rule book (or a very recent FAQ) states that Aura Abilities with the same name do not stack. Since Deathless Minions is the same name across those heroes the ability cannot be stacked.

this does mean though if there was another name to one of those saves then yes you could have multiple instances of 6+ wound saves after saves

I must be missing something, I can't find any specific rules about aura effects in the core book or recent FAQ. I've been searching all day. If anyone could throw me a link, or page number that would be very much appreciated. As far as I can tell, there are no other abilities that give a 6+ save to units other than Deathless Spirits, but that is Nighthaunt specific, not Death units in general, so they can't be stacked as they are separate allegiance abilities.  

I'm not usually much of a rules lawyer, I play for fun, not competitive at all. But its getting quite frustrating to land a lot of wounds, only to have a couple of models removed thanks to 2 or 3 extra saves, because the units are bubble wrapping 2 or 3 heroes. If it is in fact how its supposed to work, then I'll just suck it up and bring more ranged units to snipe the heroes, and mitigate it somewhat. Not how I like to play, but that's how it goes sometimes

Looks like  what I was recalling was from a old faq they had put out just a couple of months before the 2.0 release. 

But as BaldoBeardo said, the ability specifically says or. GW is pretty good about keeping the terminology fairly consistent in the same battletome. Deathless Minions looks for the General OR  a hero within 6” to proc it’s ability. It doesn’t let you use it for every hero in range. There is no wording there I can see that would let someone construe that ruling without misreading what the ability states.

If it did something like that would more likely read along the lines of “for every Hero roll a dice for each wound suffered”

Doesn't require lawyering, just reading.

"Deathless Minions: Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly Death unit within 6" of your general or another friendly Death Hero . On a 6+ the wound is negated."

You can only allocate a wound once.

The trigger is within 6" of your general OR another friendly hero. It's a yes/no condition.

You roll a single dice per wound allocated that meets the trigger condition.

10 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Looks like  what I was recalling was from a old faq they had put out just a couple of months before the 2.0 release. 

But as BaldoBeardo said, the ability specifically says or. GW is pretty good about keeping the terminology fairly consistent in the same battletome. Deathless Minions looks for the General OR  a hero within 6” to proc it’s ability. It doesn’t let you use it for every hero in range. There is no wording there I can see that would let someone construe that ruling without misreading what the ability states.

If it did something like that would more likely read along the lines of “for every Hero roll a dice for each wound suffered”

I agree, there are plenty of abilities that say for each unit ... or for each mode...l, the phrasing is very consistent.  The same guy runs different armies, and have had no troubles with rules for any of them. I honestly think its just wishful thinking over-riding what the rule actually says. We've all been there at one point or another. A rule we thought went one way, and we only realise we'd got it wrong when someone else reads the rule to us.

Archived