Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realm War

Beliman

Couldn't care less.

There is so much that could be done with AoS, but lets give the license to another mobile studio, that will litter it with freemium and micro-transactions... great! /s

Seemingly this is the height of aspiration these days.

GeeDubz is known for flogging its licenses out with little regard for the quality that will result, the vast majority being tedious buggy messes, with the exceptions of gems like Dawn of War and Total War. I wouldn't expect too much of this, especially as it's mobile.

GW is rather odd with its licencing in computer games. 

On the one hand their IP is strong enough to get the attention of serious developers like Relic and Creative Arts (Dawn of War and Total War series games). However GW also appears to attract and sign a lot of very small "no name" developer studios as well. I can only assume that the way they pitch and advertise and come to agreements means that they possibly prefer to have smaller studios where GW is the more powerful at the negotiating table or the way GW holds onto and controls its IP and restricts those working with it means that the only bigger studios that will put up with that are ones who are GW nuts and thus REALLY want to make a Warhammer game (whilst other big studios who are after the IP, marketing and such just go "eh we'll make our own IP"). 

I think another fact is that GW doesn't care if a bad computer game comes out; to them its still market outreach and its not their core product so a bad computer game reflects more on the company than GW and doesn't hurt GW financially. It's still a shame, though one could argue that its also a big of a leg up to some smaller groups for making games that otherwise might get ignored, but with the GW IP get some decent marketing attention  -  so on that front GW is more generous than many other IP rights holders. 

My money is on Total War Age of Sigmar being the "proper game" but it won't come around for a long while yet.

Considering how they've done their campaign in their current game with it building to a world ending Chaos invasion in the3rd game that sets it up nicely to end the old world there and then move on to Sigmar. Esp since the core factions of the 3rd game are likely to be chaos factions and thus the "idealistic" win for the game is chaos winning and invading the mortal realms. 

The worst about Realm War, you can mix the Grand Alliances... aside from the unit names and visuals, it has nothing to do with Warhammer or AoS.

What I think could work perfectly for AoS:

• an Warcraft 3 style RTS, meaning low unit count and character focus (although, the RTS genre is pretty dead)
  • Diablo-esque hack n slay
  • Space Marine-esque hack n slay (+ Horde mode n stuff)
  • Rogue-like (lite) dungeon crawler, maybe from a chaos point of view (?!). Receiving gifts the deeper you come and you can decide which god to honor for certain reward directions (like, desecrate Nurgle shrine to gain some Tzeentch favour, to spend at the next shrine/shop/whatever... although this genre is more an indie thing)
  • Grand Strategy would be pretty stellar for everything GW puts out there, but it's probably too niche

... one can only hope ?

(rant inc)

TBH, I think except established franchises, the gaming industry is/will be changing for the worse. Why take your chances with developing a triple A title if you can just put out another mobile clone for way better risk/reward profit.  You need a fraction of the staff a big studio needs (no game designers as you are ripping of the whole concept anyway, only a couple if any entry level programmers and just some graphic designers to make everything extra cute and as aesthetically appealing to a broad crowd as possible), development time is short and if it's at least somewhat successful you can start ordering cocaine and hookers.

DLC and micro-transactions are sadly here to stay and mobile gaming is the beating, cancerous heart of the latter.

• 6 months later...

So i recently started playing this game.  I really enjoyed it strategy LoL style game.  However i hit level 7, and had like an 82% win rate.  Unlocked final realm and all of a sudden i am playing everyone 3 to 4 levels highter than me.  Additionally their traveler rating is 3000 or more higher.  So they are not beating me on strategic moves or skill, simply on their units being higher level.  If this game doesnt rate matches more accurately or do some balance, then its just a money grab and doomed to flippin fail.   Pretty sure ill be uninstalling today and telling peeps i know not to bother.  Poor Concept, sink an already decent concept and lore even more into the money grab that becoming Warhammer.

The problem with nearly all auto-matching systems is that they prioritize time over skill levels. When you've got a huge population like League of Legends or World of Tanks then it generally goes fine and you only get marginal variation of skill levels between players; however at low peak times or on communities that are small to start with you get increasing issues the further you go up. Because the further up the fewer players there are naturally in any game; so you wind up with more and more games where you've got a smaller pool of people of the same skill. 

I mucked around in this game for a bit, but in the end it just didn't feel right. It more felt that AoS was just a random licence skin they threw over the game to make it work and its underlaying concepts were not ideally setup. For example you picked units from a universal pool not from faction specific ones; the unlocking system felt poor and - as you note - the further up you went the more people were winning just because their army was better because they'd ground more bonuses into them. For me that cuts out a huge amount of incentive to grind because its just a constant uphill struggle.

Yeah I played for a while too (even threw a few bucks at it, as I tend to do with games I like), liked it for a while, and then just sort of got bored with it.  Ultimately not my style.  I'm not really a real-time PvP sort of person when it comes to mobile (or console or PC) games.

1 hour ago, Logan8054 said:

So i recently started playing this game.  I really enjoyed it strategy LoL style game.  However i hit level 7, and had like an 82% win rate.  Unlocked final realm and all of a sudden i am playing everyone 3 to 4 levels highter than me.  Additionally their traveler rating is 3000 or more higher.  So they are not beating me on strategic moves or skill, simply on their units being higher level.  If this game doesnt rate matches more accurately or do some balance, then its just a money grab and doomed to flippin fail.   Pretty sure ill be uninstalling today and telling peeps i know not to bother.  Poor Concept, sink an already decent concept and lore even more into the money grab that becoming Warhammer.

Common practice in mobile games. It‘s all about monetizing which means to pay to win. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That‘s why I hate mobile games.

those games aren‘t doomed though since that kind of monetisation is very popular with all the big mobile games (world of warships, that vining village game, that knight castle game etc) and people are actually willing to put money into it (sometimes even thousands of dollars a month / person)

@Overread it‘s Propably just bad matchmaking which is supposed to make you spend money so you can keep up/win again.

I’ll just echo the mentions about uninstalling the game. I loved the idea of it but you never seemed to get any even matches and it got dull quickly. I even tried it again a few weeks ago and uninstalled it after a few hours!

Age of Sigmar Champions is good fun. If you want to get into it, you can get some okay decks due to the way you can scan cards from other players. It’s only a money grab if you want the “best” deck, but it’s a collectible card game 😉

Its not Age of Sigmar, but if you want to support GW licencing, play Horus Heresy Legions. It’s a great game and it’s free. It’s a collectible card game but you don’t need to spend any money if you don’t want to. 

I feel like this game would be 100% better if it had some sort of synergy mechanic based on team composition. Like if you take all Order, you get a small bonus to hit points, or if you take all Nighthaunt your units move faster, etc. Obviously they would need to add a lot more units in to get as specific as the AoS factions, but that would do a lot towards making the game feel like Warhammer and not just a skin on a popular game type.

Archived