The faction question

Johhny The Squid

So as we all know, Order has a metric tonne of neglected, underdeveloped factions. Now, they've been like this for a good long time, and they can't feasibly keep them all in this state forever. So, my question is; which ones do you think are destined to be squatted (or folded into a bigger one) and which ones could actually hold their own? I think that Wanderers stand a fair chance, but things like Ironweld are probably gonna get separated or replaced by something else.

It's impossible to say and as GW has given each some lore it doesn't sound like they want to get rid of them. 

There's a few things that could happen

1) GW will retire some - perfectly possible esp as some have very few models unique to them (Shadowblades have one unique model to them which is also a finecast model).

2) GW will expand all, slowly over time, to full faction status with one or two key releases in plastic (single and duel kits). Possible, GW has the creativity to do this; but the downside is it will bloat Order to a great degree and might even dilute the experience because the variety is almost too great. It could also shatter balance within alliance groups if too many have access to similar performing unts (which players would then ally in to make powerful combos)

3) GW will do a bit of both; retiring some and advancing others.

4) GW could expand some and then combine remaining remnant into a "Free Cities" type faction. This reduces the bloat of models and armies in the game and means nothing gets lost and makes it more manageable.

Personally I really hope they go with option 4. It gives a more sensible approach to the game and lets us players keep the most models and variety within the game itself. It leaves the door open for GW to splinter off factions if they want from the collected faction or to treat it and expand it just like normal factions. 

Don't forget we already know that there are Angel and Devil Aelf factions to come which will likely be like Iondeth - ergo full armies. 

All possible of course. But I would suggest a fifth option. 

5. Some faction are meant as mercenary type faction. Or maybe a better word would be supporting factions. Things like ironweld could easily stay a supporting faction. The mechanical guild easily accessible through all free cities fluff wise but not a guild that keeps standing armies. So supporting faction. 

Same for shadow blades. They offer certain shadowy support to scrupulous warlords. Hero hunters and assassins. Fluff wise, they don’t have guild halls or standing armies but if a warlord is rich enough and has the right connections they can hire the support of these deadly mercenaries. 

For me, for some factions this would make perfect sense. Some would do well with some fluff support. (Lion rangers as monster hunters). Some have great potential for full faction. (Wanderers or Phoenix tempel with DoK treatment would be awesome). And some could be folded together ( eldrith council mages with collegiate arcanum, would be cool. The study of magic transcends race.)

It's really tough, as obviously they are all relics of ages past now and only have rules as to not completely ruin people's old armies.

I think a lot of them are here to stay; Free Peoples, Dispossesed, Wanderers, Darkling Covens etc all have allegiance abilities, artefacts and decent model lines.

It's things like the High/ Dark Elf Orders that I'd be worried about (each with 3 or 4 factions of like 3 units).

The best thing they could possibly do is an army book like Legions of Nagash, but based around certain gatherings of Order races and sub cults. Firestorm attempted this but failed with it's weird paint scheme restrictions and rules still not as good as an actual army book. You could even focus it around the typical order forces found within certain realms, or forces that might rally behind certain heroes. Sadly though Order is lacking in things like the Mortarch's to theme forces around...

It’s not just Order this affects either.

Outside of narrative play, there are many factions that feel just a little pointless(!), ahem. ?

Any skaven faction being one.

Greenskinz being another.

And don’t get me started on Collegiate Arcane.

Madness. Not a good business model either as GW’s approach to the game has made me reconsider any purchase outside Khorne, Nighthaunt or Stormcast. That includes the new ranges.

Yeah as a newer player getting a clear picture of all the AoS "armies" was a little confusing. The Start Collecting Boxes  (and battletomes) were really the most helpful in terms of determining what is considered fully supported. But going into the webstore and seeing a bunch of other factions with a handful of models was confusing.

It would be nice if GW could clean it up by dropping models or folding units into a single army. Now that they added a little lore for each faction in the core book I'm not sure what that portends. Maybe each one will get a full army someday? Maybe those units are just safe until AoS 3.0? Wanderers have new boxes with round bases so it seems like they'll get expanded eventually.

50 minutes ago, Justinbot said:

The Start Collecting Boxes  (and battletomes) were really the most helpful in terms of determining what is considered fully supported.

Not all Start Collecting boxes...?

Spoiler

99120209034_StartCollectingGreenskinz03.

99120207036_StartCollectingMalignants03.

Greenskins are basically a joke right now (outside of their Warboss with Boss Pole since he can buff Bonesplittas and Ironjawz) and the Malignant Box makes no sense today since the Malignant army stopped being a thing years ago. Even if you bought it now, its not a legal starting force for Nighthaunt OR Legions of Nagash!

This has been parroted for months now but it basically is accepted that the original concept for AoS using small modular factions within a GA was a failure. Many were completely arbitrary, condemning some units to the depths purely since they're unusable in any way other than GA or an ally, like the poor Lion Rangers. Though ironically some actual allegiances are better off using GA (Clan Pestilens despite having a battletome book is better using GA Chaos or Alliance Nurgle).

In distancing themselves from the original Warhammer Fantasy Battles, GW made a pretty messy army system that ultimately would come crawling back to the Army Books of old. Legions of Nagash is basically Army Book: Vampire Counts minus the FEC. Seraphon is exactly the same as Lizardmen. Stormcast Eternals in 2nd edition has enough options to make Codex Space Marines blush. Meanwhile many of the original battletomes struggle with army compositions that are terribly stagnant, like FEC and Fyreslayers.

In AoS, Less is not More. Less is Less! ☠️

Haha yeah it's clearly a bit of a mess... not having done any research on those factions I was unaware of how dated those boxes are now. Hopefully one day the model lines will be cleaned up and we won't see so many orphan factions because it feels like a lot of bloat right now.

Archived