Casting degrading spells without units other that the normal caster

Magnus The Blue

Question

Bit of a strange one came up in a game. Blue horrors copied a Lord of Change's Infernal Gateway then tried to cast it, only to realise that it refers to the LoC's wound track (i.e. degrades as it gets wounded), does this mean that Infernal Gateway and similar spells can't be cast by units other than those that start with access to them, as they don't have a wound track entry to refer too?

1 answer to this question

41 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Bit of a strange one came up in a game. Blue horrors copied a Lord of Change's Infernal Gateway then tried to cast it, only to realise that it refers to the LoC's wound track (i.e. degrades as it gets wounded), does this mean that Infernal Gateway and similar spells can't be cast by units other than those that start with access to them, as they don't have a wound track entry to refer too?

I'd suggest they can't - infernal gateway is unusual for spells in that the spell itself specifies that a the Lord of Change casts it. Most just state casting roll and "if successful".

That's not a precedent I'd put any faith in though - stronger case is as you say; the blue scribes don't have a damage table that provides a value.

Archived