Need advice picking an 'elite' army

Lightbox

So sounding like a massive hypocrite after I've been telling myelf not to start new projects ;) though this is more of a plans/considerations for after I at least finish my main bulk of my death army and possibly also what I currently have of daughters of khaine... AAAAND after selling off old projects I no longer want (I may end up gutting my chaos quite a bit :(:( )

So anyway I'm looking for advice on a possible next project, one that I'd ideally like to be very conversion heavy and that I can theme nicely around a realm. Ideally an elite one. Now by elite I mean low(ish) model count since I really dislike the idea of painting up and building hordes and hordes of units :( I don't have any restrictions on alliance as I do have stuff for all of them besides destruction. Also I may be open to a horde army if it's fun and has interesting models.

So anyway my main things I'm looking for are possibility of conversions! Ideally ones that won't take lots and lots and lots of effort and greenstuff to do poses or differences with but I am also keenly aware that that's almost impossible to ask for ;) 

Gameplay wise I do like running in and hitting stuff, so even though shooting is nice it will need some melee units I can have fun with. Synergy is also nice.

I've considered trying deepkin as one of my friends has a lot of success with his eels and they do look gorgeous but unsure how convertible they are really.

Anyway bonus points if the army has a start collecting box or fits into one of these possible conversion ideas:
-Merfolk style (what can I say I like evil murderous mermaids and mermen?)
-Shadow realm themed (possibly mostly through paint job, e.g. like drow or shadar kai)
-Big potential for fun character conversions

Hmm toughy, in general I think you are looking for multi pose sets such as free guild has for converting. There are a lot of opportunities their! And haven’t seen ulgu freeguild yet. 

But as you have everything besides destruction I would suggest ogors (I know from experience they lend themselves quite well to converting although hard to find right sizes bits outside their own faction) or ironjaws. Think about it, orruks from ulgu must have a whole lot of Kunnin’ :) 

another thought would be to wait for the grit release. GW’s models are getting better and better, and if recent rumours are true we might not have to wait long.   

7 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Everchosen.  Do whatever you like to your Varanguard.

I love the idea of it. And do adore myself some heavy cav. But that price barrier XD oof. Though I suppose I wouldn't need many units... Just archaeon and a few boys.

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hmm toughy, in general I think you are looking for multi pose sets such as free guild has for converting. There are a lot of opportunities their! And haven’t seen ulgu freeguild yet. 

But as you have everything besides destruction I would suggest ogors (I know from experience they lend themselves quite well to converting although hard to find right sizes bits outside their own faction) or ironjaws. Think about it, orruks from ulgu must have a whole lot of Kunnin’ :) 

another thought would be to wait for the grit release. GW’s models are getting better and better, and if recent rumours are true we might not have to wait long.   

I may totally already have some chamon freeguild searching for a city of gold... Though ulgu shadar kai styled ones would be amazing... Proper goth freeguild ;) new cawdor models would be great. Alas they are not exactly a small model count elite force unless I just did a skirmish band.

I have considered ironjawz or ogors and like proper grey skinned shadow ones would be great (who says all orks have to be green anyway? Realm magic makes stuff weird. Could make fun law about them being outcasts over their non greenness) grots are also possible... Albeit high model count again :( I'd preferably love to rock humanoid but destruction could work.

3 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Reading the OP it seems you really want idoneth deepkin. 

I wouldn't say really (if it comes acriss that way I should probably edit it) it's more of a they seem interesting but I'm kinda unsure on conversion potential as a lot of recent models seem more difficult to convert (thinking about my DoK snakes). Mostly trying to get an idea of what sort of armies can do the small model count elite quite well. Though there's a chance I may *eventually* try a small deepkin force ;) I do like my elves.

Though if I can find a way to make deepkin into actual merfolk then i will 10/10 jump on that at some point. 

28 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I'd preferably love to rock humanoid but destruction could work.

Did you say Ogors ;) 

I personally also really love my Skaven for conversions but left them out because of hordes. But what about Skryre? 1K could easily be less than 12 models. 

I'm also planning an awesome Ironclad conversion to join my starting Kharadron force which allows for a lot of conversion work. Rebuild them dwarfs to be a sky pirate theme of a faction of your choosing. Orruk balloon boys would be awesome for example. But also cool options with the human range. Just look at the Warhammer community article from the Skaven player.  

Idoneth aren't really that hard to convert (I have some conversions on my log that use Namarti bits but I will say I did go off the deep end with them) So if you are interested in them there are plenty of interesting ways you can take them if you so desire.  

But if you do plan on converting them here are some quick little things you want to consider. If you want to change the arms, consider a torso swap or finding shoulderpads that look good/fit either of these will make arms swaps and considering the torso head swaps far easier. 

22 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Did you say Ogors ;) 

I personally also really love my Skaven for conversions but left them out because of hordes. But what about Skryre? 1K could easily be less than 12 models. 

I'm also planning an awesome Ironclad conversion to join my starting Kharadron force which allows for a lot of conversion work. Rebuild them dwarfs to be a sky pirate theme of a faction of your choosing. Orruk balloon boys would be awesome for example. But also cool options with the human range. Just look at the Warhammer community article from the Skaven player.  

Now I just want to do a kharadron force that's some weird mercenary mix of all sorts of races XD proper odd assortment of humans, orks, skaven etc all from the realm of shadow. No clue how lore friendly that would be though... May be hard to justify some races working together. But shadow sky pirates sounds very fun...

7 minutes ago, Rhivan said:

Idoneth aren't really that hard to convert (I have some conversions on my log that use Namarti bits but I will say I did go off the deep end with them) So if you are interested in them there are plenty of interesting ways you can take them if you so desire.  

But if you do plan on converting them here are some quick little things you want to consider. If you want to change the arms, consider a torso swap or finding shoulderpads that look good/fit either of these will make arms swaps and considering the torso head swaps far easier. 

That's good to hear. I'd likely look at mainly head swaps with demonetted and changing legs out for mermaid tails for a proper malicious merfolk feel. Though could possibly do some body swaps with dark eldar wyches? Though it does lose the nice armour feel of the eel riders and the like.

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha it's all an illusion ;)  very shadowy

Heheh that could work ;) it would definitely work for humans, elves and dwarves though!! Maybe could squeeze in an ogre maneater or two :P they're mercenaries right?

Can kharadrons be played well with low model counts? Arkanaught squads can do well as 10 men I presume.

(I am worried I'm gonna end up making like a billion different armies now XD)

30 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

That's good to hear. I'd likely look at mainly head swaps with demonetted and changing legs out for mermaid tails for a proper malicious merfolk feel. Though could possibly do some body swaps with dark eldar wyches? Though it does lose the nice armour feel of the eel riders and the like.

So Idoneth bodies have the neck sculpted into them so any of the WHF heads that don't have a neck joint to attatch things to will be a simple process of putting them onto the neck and gluing. (I think demonettes have this kind of head so it'll insert snugly onto base idoneth bodies) as for Wych Torsos that shouldn't be too difficult (The hardest part will be lining up the torso with the legs as 40k dark eldar torsos are made to insert into the legs so they taper into a bit of a point.) As for losing the armor feel just keep the armor on the eel riders as they are your elites they deserve better. The rank and file can have Wych torsos if you decide they are worth the effort.

3 hours ago, Marsh said:

What about a monster mash?

Seraphon have lots of dinos and characters and some good conversion options there

Death can also do a fairly elite list with vordhai, VLoZD, morghasts and nagash

Maybe Nurgle?

My current death project includes a court of nulhamia monster mash so I'm covered there :D It's a good idea though, might look into seraphon sometime if I get the urge to paint scales & lizards, didn't realise they could do a monster mash but I suppose cheap skink battleline makes it fairly easy.

As for nurgle I do plan to rock some order of the fly styles once I have the drive to do a bigger model count project and want to paint lots of knights / flies.

42 minutes ago, Cyanid32600 said:

im having the same issue as you mate, i like the idea of warherd though....

Warherd do seem cool, though I'd be more inclined to go thunderscorn as love the idea of them. Though that project is very on the backburner in the hopes they might get an update one day. But I certainly should go back to them sometime! (too many projects heheh)

I'd recommend for you of getting an idea of what style you like, this thread has had loads of great ideas and honestly I reckon I'm gonna go shadow pirates as it sounds like such a creative endeavour conversion wise (which is what I really want). Warherd could be a good little project if you like beast monsters and fancy painting a lot of flesh.

I'm hoping we'll see people continue to give good ideas on this thread :D as I'm sure it will help others too!

19 hours ago, Kramer said:

I personally also really love my Skaven for conversions but left them out because of hordes. But what about Skryre? 1K could easily be less than 12 models. 

19 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Play skaven.

with them you have the option to literally field a army fully out only elites troops. Like stormvermin stormfiends etc.

just if your trying to be competitive you’d better stick with skyre (stormfiends) a only stormvermin army will not really be something that can win to many or any battles.

Forgot to say earlier but skaven is a potential project I'd love to pick up when I get around to sorting out what I'm doing with chaos. And stormvermin are what really draw me to them, they'll probably be a shout for if I ever want a higher model count army as there's a lot of fun rat swarming you can do with them. Possibly also wait until a battletome... And maybe some plastic skyre stuff as I'd love to mix them with the stormfiends.

Archived