noob question about allies

paul7926

Dumb noob question I know but....

I know I can take some Gutbusters as allies to my Ironjawz.  I checked because I still have some square based Orges from past editions that are already painted and sat in storage.  (Tyrant, normal Ogres and Ironguts painted, leadbelchers and buther unpainted)

The question really is not can I do it but is there any point?  Can they do anything that can't be done by normal Brutes who would benefit from being Ironjawz in the first place?

Kinda tempted to give those old models some more life but not sure there is any valid reason to do that.

I'm going to come in hard as dissent here and say that there is no reason to do this at all - *viable listbuilding wise*  Obviously you can have fun hobby reasons for doing this, but your question was mechanical and so I'm treating it as such.

The strength of ironjawz is largely synergy based and several critical effects require keywords (waagh needs # of units, warchanters buff, weirdnob casting bonus, mighty destroyers movement, charge bonus, smashing and bashing!) and you are diluting the list for every non-orruk you bring.

Not only that, but ironjawz units can do anything a gutbuster can do only better. 'ardboys make better objective campers / anvils and can do more damage with buffs. Brutes outclass ogors in melee, gore-gruntas are better than mournfang when you factor in cost/wounds/buffs. Leadbelchers have some ranged, which ironjawz lack, but it's not actually good ranged. Weirdnobs are better than butchers as well (butcher spell is not great and his cauldron doesn't affect non-ogors).

If you absolutely must use allies in ironjawz, it should be for something that fills a crucial need and does it exceptionally, because you give up a lot for it - and leadbelcher's random short-ranged attacks (or even worse, falling for the trap of scrap-launcher / ironblaster) are a far cry from that.

I'm all for being positive, but let's not give someone bad advice either.

Yeah it very much depends on your expectations, and the expectations of those around you.  If you're struggling to succeed with Ironjaws against tough competition, adding Ogors won't help you.  If you're having a good time playing against other non-optimized lists, they could be a fun addition.  (Plenty of room for both types of experience out there, no judgement from me.)

Luckily my local group are very relaxed when it comes to games.  The focus is on having a good laugh whilst pushing little plastic men around the board and cursing the dice Gods.  

Over the years I've played other games at the competitive level and I actually enjoy both styles.  The real trick is to make sure that you and your opponent are on the same page in terms of the 'Casual <-> Competitive' metric.  Then it's all good.

52 minutes ago, paul7926 said:

Over the years I've played other games at the competitive level and I actually enjoy both styles.  The real trick is to make sure that you and your opponent are on the same page in terms of the 'Casual <-> Competitive' metric.  Then it's all good.

This really sums it up perfectly.

If you want to run Gutbusters+Ironjawz my recommendation would be to just play GA:Destruction with your Ogors filling your battleline roll. That way all your allegiance abilities are affecting everything and you don't need to worry about the allies rules.

Archived