7 weeks to design, convert, paint and learn how to play

Cblackaus

I've decided to get into AoS after a lengthy period away from GW.  The lure of the models finally got me back :p

Being somewhat goal directed, I decided to sign up to the Sydney GT on 29th - 30th September.  This blog is to help me stay focussed on what I think is going to be a big task.  Original army choice was Daughter of Khaine - but looking at the models, the chances of finishing a playing and good looking 2k army was remote. 

Sooo ... I decided to go for a limited model army that is easy to convert, easy to do a simple paint job with potential to improve once V1 is finished. 

The solution is a Sylvaneth Dreadwood Army.  I am using a winter theme.  Lots of opportunities for conversions:

1. Using savage orc weapons as ice weapons
  2. Using alternate models to change the look and feel such as a dread maw as Allarielle's beetle

The CORE list (with conversions)  is

Allarielle (on a DreadMav)

Drycha (using the different forests as legs and converted weapons)

Celestant-Prime (not sure here - thinking of converting it so it is coming 'out' of an ice crystal/pillar)

Branchwraith (converting using a spite revenant)

4 * 5 Spite-Revenants (converted orc weapons)

3 Kurnoth Hunters (Bows) (converted with nurgle swords painted up as shards office) as arrows

The SUMMONING list is

40 Dryads

1 Treeman

3 Hunters with Glaives

10 Tree Revenants

1 Branchwych

** Basing - use the GW crackle effect, very think (3mm).  This will be painted as blue / white ice flow.  It will cover feet - so it looks like the models are emerging from the ice flow.

Rough Plan

1) week 1-2 - build, convert army, greenstuff.

2) week 3 - undercoat black, add crackle basing, undercoat white (top down) to leave some black as shading, pick out flesh with ceramite white.

3) week 4-6 - paint - all models with Guillman Blue and Coelia Green (with medium), dry brush with Praxeti White, rmour / heavy bark apply soulstone, then for 'outer' layers ie branches etc, work out colour scheme - probably a purple blue.

4) Week 7 - pick out details

5) Post tournament - add details - add shading, improve overall look

Thanks - I am certainly going to convert the Celestant - I know he's meant to come from the sky - but I am going to go for a come from the ice ... so he will be emerging from a large rock / crystal pillar with a ice storm using the circles and then as you say ice armour.  It'll test me :)

12 minutes ago, Cblackaus said:

Thanks - I am certainly going to convert the Celestant - I know he's meant to come from the sky - but I am going to go for a come from the ice ... so he will be emerging from a large rock / crystal pillar with a ice storm using the circles and then as you say ice armour.  It'll test me :)

I think that's a good shout. And don't worry too much about the sky stuff, I have a disc of tzeentch held aloft by tentacles bursting out of an icy lake so at least yours makes more sense than that somehow flying over terrain ;)

Also base wise if you haven't tried it I would recommend the gw valhallan blizzard texture paint. It makes for lovely crisp looking snow and would do well on your bases along with ice or dirt. If you want to paint ice I would perhaps suggest non metallic metals style painting? Although that might take years...

Alternatively there's a bunch of great guides for painting crystals which you could use and just swap the colours: http://www.corehammer.com/painting-green-crystals/ slightly more time consuming things like this might be perfect for the Celestant as since he is a centrepiece hero model you will likely appreciate him having time put in to make him look super cool! Also should work for your weapons though be wary of time constraints.

Actually - I’m n the clump of crystals I’m converting a treeman and I’m going to place  one of those crystals clumps as per your link into his chest - not sure how it’ll work but will be fun :) .

im going to town with conversions and then making surenbasing looks good and then do a basic paint job B4 GT.  Post tourney I can the work on the paint job. 

Day 2 Update.  Played my first game with the army (1K) and 2nd ever.  Played Blood and Glory scenario.  Opponent taught me through rules and he took a nice tomb kings  army.   He got a bit of a surprise when Drycha killed 30+ skellies in first turn with that attack that does a wound on a 3+ for every model in 10 and then charged in.  Brutal!  Managed to hold onto 3 objectives by end of T5.  The Spites are pants but somehow survived.

things I forgot ...

1) to summon ANY dryads ... should have had 40 ?

2) you can only take 1 Drycha ability - opponent had to tell me when I tried to use the other one

3) forgot to use my Dreadwood ability ie to move units at start ?

No hobby ... but all good - back into it tomorrow.  Try and do the remaining 10 spites and start the Celestant conversion (if model arrives)  

Day #3 Update.  Good day - all 20 Spites are glued and largely converted (waiting for some nurgle swords).  And ... in a big update I have done a scratch built branchwraith.

This is a bit of a test for my Celestant Prime who I said is embedded / emerging from an ice shard.  I’m quite happy with this one.  His legs are buried, his right are is dragging an ice axe out of the shard. His  left arm is pointing with 4 ice shards acting as a ice orb.  The forests I will be making will be ice forests a I must say it wil hopefully look cool as he has the raise forests spell.

And YES I need to green stuff - but it’s a good start and the vision worked.  Well at least I think so !!!

6F76B545-5A4E-4503-8381-82192F83905F.jpeg

00441EF2-789C-4B1D-B54E-D1128A953DFC.jpeg

3EDB649F-6F46-41F3-A4DE-A287DFA245E5.jpeg

Start of week 2.  The goal was to have the entire army built, converted and undercoated by the end of this week.  So far so good with 6 days left to go

Prime - not yet started - waiting for model to arrive. 

Drycha - completed - fully converted

Branchwraith a completed - fully converted

Allarielle - body built - changed my mind and will leave the beetle - except I am going to cover it totally with glue and small rocks - to give a crystalline look (once painted)

#########

4 * 5 Spites - fully converted and built

3 * Kurnoth Bows - fully converted and built 

#########

Summoning Units:

50 Dryds - all built and largely converted

Treeman - built (not yet converted)

3 Kurnoth Greatswords - all built and largely converted

10 Tree Revenants - not started 

3  Kurnoth Bows - not yet started 

1 Branchwych - built nitnyet converted 

48CEE1CF-3B21-43D3-B69F-C9FDCDC55FD3.jpeg

For Allarielle’s beetle, I am planning to cover the entire model with glue and then roll / coat in small crystalline rocks (see picture below) and then undercoat and paint up with a crystalline winter look - dark blue to light blue and white highlighting.

Think of the  Christmas decoration picture below but painted up using the winter colors - #blingbeetle 

thoughts?  Have you seen anything similar that I could look at? 

8D688A53-8AD9-41AB-AC60-6927E0831DF2.png

4CCC2388-17D5-407A-8398-D44660630A7F.jpeg

Another big night going balls deep in conversions.

ive made a major potential change - swapping out the celestant prime with a treeman ancient with moonstone of hidden ways.  This still allows my to alpha strike - but with the slightly less combat power of the prime vs the ancient BUT it allows me to drop Geminids and add another branchwraith A- for a potential 20+ dryads per turn.  I’ve only played 2 games but it seems to me to be a more flexible option.  And the modeling is awesome - IMNSHO.

The bling beetle is coming on well.  I know it looks like a hot mess, but I have faith in it.  Think a winter crystalline glitter bug.  

As to my ancient - I am stoked with this conversion.  Love the arms and the converted weapon and his ice crystal chastity belt.308C5113-F8B9-4310-8C8B-BC4A00F0234C.jpeg.c7dff1f224c6fefbe36604c4fe94f2b7.jpeg

25F29639-6EE2-47F1-A100-79FD8C25B8D7.jpeg

9C5A5731-B789-458F-AD36-E7F428C3FDBB.jpeg

0C5951EF-943E-43F6-A48F-D240AC3E7676.jpeg

Okay ... so 3 days before I am due to complete all the coversions, undercoat and prepare crackle bases.  On track which is good.

the bad news is that my first tests on the dryads were truly horrIble.  The concept of making them look like ice just didn’t work.  Back to the drawing board - specifically I am going to try this out as it looks cool - https://youtu.be/vdBhfcAbAgc.  The only add here will  potentially be some purple highlights - leaves and maybe finger tips 

one aspect I am super happy with are the ice weapons - this is the test.

439B4FB1-154D-45C1-A06B-6C7ECA1E27BD.jpeg

2EBB8C4A-1C33-4312-9202-D57C54F3F45C.png

Quick update ... work on the bling beetle has commenced.  I’m surprised that the ‘hot mess’ is starting to come together okay.  It’s at about 60% for the first cut (noting that I am just trying to ey a solid tabletop look and then add the quality after the tournament).

i think I now have the paint scheme right on the rank and file.  It looks a bit bland in the photo, but there are 4 blends - but hard to pick it up.  I just like the black and dark lol :) 

my Dread Maw arrived roll today and I think it will work really well for the celestant prime 

084BE1FB-1E84-4761-B78C-D8DD9C93607C.jpeg

6FF7C7D8-2681-4265-B987-B47B34F01D67.jpeg

331BF171-2014-46F5-BAD4-40F35A12D8FD.jpeg

9EADD0E0-930A-4A8D-B285-5D8EBE421477.jpeg

3C60271E-2302-4180-8ACC-38D1A65B0B59.jpeg

Great looking army :) interested to see how that Treelord ancient looks painted.

Also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's impossible to summon more than 10 Dryads per turn through Branchwraiths in matched play due to the rule stating that the same spell can only be attempted once per turn (regardless of who is casting).

Archived