Wargames Con, Austin TX, August 18-19th

James S

Nurgle wins Wargamescon. Guy did great job with a massive blob of 200 models.

Super great tournament this weekend. TO was pretty awesome and everything ran super smooth. I never saw any kind of real problems today. Had a crazy list of moonclan grots and squigs  place in Top 10 also a couple of Khorne, Nagash, Sylvaneth. Will hopefully have more to say soon.

3 hours ago, King Taloren said:

I’ve got the final points tally from the TO Jon. I’ll post them when I get home from work today and so a bit of a write up on initial thoughts and my experience.

Awesome bud! Maybe you can post it on the main AoS section and see if we can generate some hype from the tournament. It went so damn well!

Here is the rundown on the attendance, points, and rankings, I'll do a separate post about the experiences. But here it is for the general breakdown of most the facts. I don't have army rosters or full breakdowns on win/losses, yet, but think you can get a fair general idea. 

And I'll let you guys read down the winning army and I'll certainly make a big fuss in general with a big topic but can anyone say META-BREAKING TOP 3?!

64 people signed up!! This was more than 4 times the attendees of this event last year. Incredibly awesome turnout, we were only outnumbered by the 40k GT players 2:1 so we could have taken them easily. Cross fingers we can get more next year.

Sadly only 50 people actually turned up for the even with several dropping out the night before or just not even showing up. Still, it was a very impressive turnout for Austin's Big Wargames Convention with people coming from San Antonio, Fort Worth, Dallas and Houston and even a few guys from out of state. I'm sorry for those of you who missed out for sudden emergencies or unable to attend otherwise and boo on those of you that didn't come cause you didn't feel like it. Y'all missed a great series of games this weekend.

We did not have Realm Rules and Artifacts in play for this event, TO decided they were too new and not tested enough yet to prove they would be good enough for solid tournament play. Rules were finalized right before the FAQ nerfs to all the major problems discovered during Six Nations. 

We ran five rounds of games Swiss Style;

• Battle for the Pass
  • Shifting Objectives
  • Total Commitment
  • Better Part of Valor
  • Starstrike

The event also ran a series of secret missions, in which you picked one of the five objectives each round choosing a different one for each; 

• Assassination: Choose a unit in your opponent's army and ensure it is destroyed by the end of the game.
  • The Curse: Pick one of your units and send it to be destroyed by your opponent and try not to destroy the unit that kills them.
  • Breakthrough: Choose a unit and run it over the opposite edge of the table
  • Pacifism: pick one unit in your army and try not to get it into melee combat during every phase of combat (attacking and being attacked)
  • Swath of Destruction: Destroy any 3 Battleline Units in your opponent's army. Summoned units also counted long as they could be a battleline unit legally in the list.

Scoring went; 

• Victory and Losses:
  1. Major Win 20,
  2. Minor Win 15,
  3. Draw 10,
  4. Minor Loss 5
  • Secret Missions 7

Secondary Scoring;

• Painting (Nominations were essentially were awarded if you had your whole army painted and based to tournament standard.  WE HAD OVER 30 ARMIES THAT GOT THESE BONUS POINTS! Sigmarites are awesome hobbyists!):
  1.  Nomination 20
  2. Award for Top 3 Best Painted 30
  3. Coolest Army (Given to most creative army that didn't win a Painting Award)

• Sportsmanship
  1. Sportsmanship Nomination 20
  2. Sportsmanship Award Top3 30
  • There was also an additional 20 points given to those who submitted their lists early.

And so after two days of a lot of fun and camaraderie, (seriously everyone was awesome to play and watch when got the chances to, I think we need to get someone to stream tables next year, I'd volunteer but I wanna play too ?) here are the final results and winners of 2018 Wargamescon.

(removed outdated ranking list)

Nurgle, Bonesplittas and Moonclan Grots! (Quick! We need to nerf them into oblivion! Only one of them has an updated Battletome they are obviously way too OP!) Hope to see you guys all next year! And Dan I want a Rematch! ? I'll go into what the top 3 brought little later, just want some people to go over those rankings and stew on them

No disgustingly resilient, just wounds and command points for battleshock immunity. and a ridiculous number of bodies that made it impposible to unseat from an objective once he was on it.  And after playing on the table next to him for 2 games in a row, that's exactly what he did, rushed objectives and sat on them and just soaked damage for 3 turns until you couldn't beat his score.

Final scores from the TO himself this evening:

So in my haste to get things done and get awards out, I forgot to add certain points to certain players. So while the top spots have remained the same, the top 10 has adjusted and therefore things have moved around a bit. I apologize to anyone whose placing I messed up! Don't be disappointed if you dropped out of the top 10 - y'all did awesome.

Mikey, I'm sorry ha ha. You still kicked ass. The fact that you, Cameron, and Keith even showed up on day two should have earned you guys some bonus points.

Here are the final standings for the WarGamesCon Age of Sigmar GT

1 Michael Vagenos - 170 Nurgle Best Overall
2 Justin Boyd - 168 Bonesplitterz Best General
3 Dan Norris - 161 Moonclan Grots Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
4 Matt Taylor - 158 Khorne Best Painted Runner-Up
5 Jeremy Cooper - 156 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
6 Jace Furches - 155 Nighthaunt
Brandon Sullivan - 155 Nurgle
8 Andrew Carlson - 151 Daughters of Khaine Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
9 James West - 145 Daughters of Khaine Best Painted
10 James Southerland - 141 Gutbusters Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
11 Eric Oetker - 135 Khorne
Greg Goede - 135 Sylvaneth
13 Christopher Wroblewski - 131 Ironjawz Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
14 Mikey Behgam - 128 Daughters of Khaine
Michael Lazarus - 128 Khorne
Seth Hamilton - 128 Grand Host of Nagash 
17 Jay Sailors - 121 Slaanesh
CJ Banda - 121 Stormcast Eternals 
19 Jeffrey Visgaitis - 115 Khorne
20 Jyoji Fee - 114 Tzeentch
Daniel Dawson - 114 Nurgle
22 Brian Henderon- 108 Gutbusters
Austin Nelson - 108 Idoneth Deepkin
Daniel Landrum - 108 Stormcast Eternals
Dimitri Horchard - 108 Stormcast Eternals
James Miller - 108 Skaven Skryre
27 Paul Adams - 101 Ironjawz
Matt Waldron - 101 Sylvaneth
29 Christopher Schelling - 98 Spiderfang Grots Best Painted Runner-Up
30 Jimmy Sides - 97 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
31 Keith Wood - 94 Ironjawz
32 Cameron Pinckard - 88 Stormcast Eternals
33 Jon Vandermeer - 87 Stormcast Eternals
Jeff Gondeck - 87 Tzeentch
35 Nathan Stickney - 86 Wanderers
36 Thomas Abbate - 83 Legion of Sacrament
Robert Stehle - 83 Idoneth Deepkin
38 Brian Rowe - 76 Stormcast Eternals
39 Kaidyn Johnson - 74 Grand Host of Nagash
Jay Winborn - 74 Nurgle
41 Evan Nelson - 67 Skaven Pestilens
42 Patrick Hagar - 47 Khorne
Jalen Churley - 47 Sylvaneth
44 Matthew Johnson - 46 Ironjawz
45 Aaron Sauceda - DNF Nurgle
Billy Mondragon - DNF Nurgle
Cameron Wassom - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Andrew Thompson - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Mike Brandt - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Griffin Bodell - DNF Nighthaunt
Bryan Harrington - DNF Seraphon
David Lewis - DNF Khorne

5 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Yeah, 240+ wounds with 5+ Disgustingly Resilient on most of it is really hard to displace especially when he can get a lot of them onto objectives in turn 1. and just keep out bodying almost everything else for scoring.

I'm excited for Siegeworld to try out their house rule that objectives are scored by total wound count rather than total model count. On paper, I think that could be a nice way to make low-model count lists a little more competitively viable vs armies like Nurgle, Legions of Nagash, Nighthaunt, and so on that can flood objectives with a lot of (resilient/replenishing) bodies.

Personally, its always seemed inconsistent and inelegant to score objectives by model count. 

9 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

I'm excited for Siegeworld to try out their house rule that objectives are scored by total wound count rather than total model count. On paper, I think that could be a nice way to make low-model count lists a little more competitively viable vs armies like Nurgle, Legions of Nagash, Nighthaunt, and so on that can flood objectives with a lot of (resilient/replenishing) bodies.

Personally, its always seemed inconsistent and inelegant to score objectives by model count. 

Keep us updated on this house rule. I'm very curious to see how it does!

1 hour ago, gjnoronh said:

@James S  thanks for posting all this.  Helpful to see.    You had 8 players drop during the event out of 50.  What happened there?   Seems like a very large number of drops.

New to the tournament scene and disheartened by the meta?   Hungover?

I know one of the guys was from our gaming group and he had a severe asthma attack Sunday morning. He was 2-1 going into day two. So he dropped.

As for some of the others, I have no idea. There was definitely a lot of drinking going on. Now whether or not that played a factor, I couldn't tell ya. Wish I could have helped more.

3 minutes ago, James S said:

I know one of the guys was from our gaming group and he had a severe asthma attack Sunday morning. He was 2-1 going into day two. So he dropped.

As for some of the others, I have no idea. There was definitely a lot of drinking going on. Now whether or not that played a factor, I couldn't tell ya. Wish I could have helped more.

Well there's your problem! Beardlings not holding their liquor! Congrats on the turnout either way. Strange to see storm cast so much lower. 

There was actually a couple of war mammoths on the field over the weekend. Didn't face any myself, but from what I heard they were getting shot/killed off the table pretty quickly. One Mammoth managed to fall over and do more damage to the enemy army more than they had done to it.

I've got the Top 10 lists on Google Drive, still compiling the rest but here is the link so you can go over them as I continue to fill in the rest.

Army Lists Wargamescon 2018 (By Ranking)

Edit: All finished there are a few lists missing they either didn't submit a list until the tournament or at all, this is all of them that Jon gave me. I think i might have one or two that i can put in that were no-shows if anyone wants them)

Archived