Beasthammer at Blackout

Dave

Last week I went to Blackout in Cardiff using the Braggoth's Beasthammer battalion . I'm a big fan of it and have used it for a while but this was the first time I've taken it to a tournament . This was my list:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Everwinter's Master
- Artefact : The Pelt of Charngar
Butcher (140)
UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
-Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
-Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
BATTALIONS
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 113
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

I'm not the most experienced in AoS so something I can just charge forward with appeals to me! This will be brief round ups of what I can remember rather than indepth reports as my memory is awful .

Game 1 v Nurgle

Shifting Objectives

With 4 drops I had the choice of who started (as I ended up doing in every game) so I went second . His army was made up of 2 big units of plague bearers ,1 GUO a unit of blight kings and a couple of different characters . He ran everything forward to get near the objectives with the GUO just behind . I managed to cas the cogs then moved everything forward hoping to charge . All the charges went off with the mournfang and gore gruntas getting into the plague bearers and the Frostlord getting into the GUO . The hunter , frost sabres and butcher covered the objectives . I popped the double attacks this turn and killed both units and the GUO . Just a case of mopping up the rest after that and the objectives weren't threatened all game . Major Win

Game 2 v khorne

Places of Arcane Power

This was against the mortal Khorne dudes ,  who I've only played once before and I have a vivid memory of my frostlord killing himself because these buggers! I wasn't sure how best to go about this battle so just went first and tried to charge everything in . Only the frostlord made it and did a fair bit of damage in his centre but got Reality Bladed off by his general . I hung on for a while but couldn't do any substantial damage to his army before it wiped me out  . I've thought about this battle the most since the event as I think I could've done a lot better . I think If I'd put the heroes on the objectives and bubble wrapped them with everything else then I could've done a lot better . Oh well , Major Loss

Game 3 v Gutbusters

Scorched Earth

This was something a little bi more familiar . This was an army of a big unit of 12 ogors , a unit of 6 and 1 of 3 . Troll hag , Tyrant and a butcher (i think). I took first turn and charged everything in , the frost lord went to my left to take out the unit of 3 and the MF and GG into the other units of ogors . What followed was the biggest mistake I made over the weekend . I forgot to take the bonus attack which could've crippled them a lot more but a combination of heat and being tired I totally forgot . So it turned into a big scrap on his side of the table which he eventually won and took my objectives . I might've been able to still win after forgetting the attacks but mu head had gone by then!

Major Loss

Game 4 v Nighthaunt

Total Commitment

This was so one sided it was untrue . He had a lot of the usual suspects , most of the characters ,  the new units and a load of spirit hosts . He had to deploy everything on the table so went heavy on my right so I was able to clear everything on my left easily and swept over to take the rest . He wasn't helped by his awful saving rolls and it all fell apart

Major Win

Game 5 v Nurgle

Border war

So just before this battle I'd heard that I was leading the kill points for Destruction so I was hoping for an army to play against that was easy to kill , so of course I drew Nurgle! This was very different to the Nurgle in my first game . There was a lot of blight kings and marauders . I decided to not bother with the mission and just go for kills but I wasn't hopeful . It turned out as I expected and I just couldn't break stuff down enough and he had a crazy amount of saves .

Major Loss

So after all that I came 71st , which was a little bit disappointing but at least I know where I went wrong . I still love this army and look forward to more games with it .

3 hours ago, Dave said:

So just before this battle I'd heard that I was leading the kill points for Destruction so I was hoping for an army to play against that was easy to kill , so of course I drew Nurgle! This was very different to the Nurgle in my first game . There was a lot of blight kings and marauders . I decided to not bother with the mission and just go for kills but I wasn't hopeful . It turned out as I expected and I just couldn't break stuff down enough and he had a crazy amount of saves .

Really want them to implement the rule from 40k where if you have more than 1 "totally not a save" save then you get the best.

That would really help tone down some of the more obnoxious stuff.

3 hours ago, Pitloze said:

What is it about beasthammer that makes it so strong? I've heard it won tourneys here and there.

It gives +1 to hit so we hit on 3's something we generally can't do but really need. And has a once per game double combat for everything that charged.

So if you can get all 5 of your units in one turn that is alot of hurt. People are adding cogs to make it likely to happen turn 1 and as it is likely your a 2drop army you can quite offtern pick who goes first.

Archived