How would you build your Archaon?

Stevewren

One of the top Archaon's used him as a buff-train. Get all the various buffing lords, +1 to hit guys (lord on jugger and some other guy), and double pile (boobsnake) especially and throw him into anything. On a double 4 to wound, he then auto-kills any hero or monster. And has two chances with his double pile. Should put the fear into any army running a large monster/hero model. Nagash especially should be terrified.

Id be super tempted to keep him cheap. Even in super mode he shouldn't win games. Units matter more so j would make sure he has good supporting units. 

Fast ones that can ride up with him. 

I think the strength in him isn't combat output or damage, but just how bloody survivable he is.

He is a great model to centre your line around or he can just hold a flank long enough to get reinforcements there.

Admittedly he is pretty expensive to just do that....

Its also the fear it puts into your opponent.  

I found this with Drazhoath.  Its a different type of unit for sure, but he is still the biggest made in my army and people are fixated on him.  

I'm going to see if I can buff him a bit more, and try some blood crushers  along with the Varanguard as support units. I think part of the problem I had was a lack of support.  The Varanguard in singles are great though. Stops them being battleshocked and you don't waste their double pile in. This has the bloodthirster to allow the run and charge, Archaon can affect the bravery of the bloodcrushers too, so you get D3 back on a roll of a 1-3. The slaanesh Lord is there for the double pile in on Archaon and the sorcerer Lord allows you to get reroll 1's. Testing it tonight so will see how it goes  

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Not sure on how it would be ruled but I think you might only get models back on a 1 or a 3, not on a two.

Which rules are you trying to use to effect the Daemon battle shock? you only get models back on a roll of a 1 normally, are you using a buff/command ability?

Yeah interesting, when I first read his rules I thought it was add or subtract from bravery, not the actual result of the roll. I could see it being ruled that a 2 can be be lowered to a 1 as you maybe cant go lower than a 1? Would need to check wording. Looks useful though if you're running big units that die quite quickly or monstrous cav such as drones/crushers

I liked the new list - Archaon was a beast. I still made a few errors with casting, and where to put Demonic Power, Mystic Shield and Orracular vision, but both the Bloodthirster and Archaon did a good job fighting stuff. I think Archaon only took wounds from mortal wounds, and these were what did for the Bloodthirster. I still lost the game, but that was though poor play with the scoring units and not thinking what I was doing. I through them away in unnecessary combats rather than playing to the scenarios.   Definitely worth persevering with I think.

I crushed with Archaon my last two events, and only really supported him with a Chaos Sorcerer (mandatory) and a Nurgle Lord on Daemonic Mount (5+ ignore wounds).

The Chaos Sorcerer signature spell and backup automatic armor buff if the spell fails are amazing. One of the best models Chaos has available.

• 1 month later...

I won Best Overall this weekend at Blood in the Sun with Archaon. Here is what I took in my 150 SCGT pools. I used Kairos in one game along with Archaon against Glottkin to attempt to double 6 him, but didn't need it. That game I double 6'd a Soulgrinder first turn naturally, and the Varanguard erased a Great Unclean One first turn. Double Traitor's Mist helps with the alpha strike! I played with my full summoning each game until the last game against Destruction where I took no summoning and used all my flamers starting on the board.

I played again Mannfred and Necrosphynx led Death; Slaaneshi chaos summoning Daemon Princes and Greater Daemon; Nurgle chaos with Glottkin, GUO, and a Soiulgrinder; Bloodbound with 2 Bloodthirsters and the Wrathmonger formation; and 3 Giant, 2 Mangler Squig, and 18 goblin fanatic Night Goblin list that max pointed his previous 4 opponents. I tied the Death army (slow play) and won the remaining 4.

It is a VERY small army, but was written in this way based on the scenarios. That and the units are high wound count and very tough.

Archaon

Kairos

Sayl the Faithless

The Changeling

Skaven Grey Seer

Chaos Sorcerer

5 Varanguard

10 Putrid Blightkings

15 Chaos Warhounds

9 Flamers of Tzeentch

10 Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Archived