Storage at Home

syph0n

For those without dedicated hobby spaces, how do you go about storage at home? 

The thread the other week around transporting models lead to me picking up 3 Really Useful Boxes which my father in law can cut some metal sheets to fit inside for me to magnetise my models. Brilliant, durable, keeps the models dust free and safe. Happy. 

What I've realised is, now they're out of the A3 paper box lids I had them, is that even stacked, they consume a lot of space. 

We're looking at decorating a reasonable sized space which is a glorified hallway, so to Ikea we went. Looked at the Kallax units, but the individual shelves are 33x33cm shelves. Too small I think. We need to store cake decorating stuff, models, dog stuff, school bags etc. Typical family of 4 in a 3 bed home. No garage is a bummer. Shed is strictly bikes, decorating, camping. Loft is hobby death, never going there. ?

As it stands, my very forgiving wife is just ignoring the very neat stack hidden by the dining table... But it won't last. 

Ideas welcome! I'll post my Sketch Up plan when I'm at my laptop, but would love to see how TGA are going about it. 

EDIT: A Sketch Up plan of the space. That alcove might be the model home unless I can think of something better (the bit with the little window).

Hall.png.35fe0405a0e4949c0a9427ea7a8519ab.png

So my storage is half real half plans because I've literally no space to actually put up any proper storage. A few ideas though

1) I would have a serious look at the loft. Yes honestly! First up I'd get a set of those loft stairs that fold down if you don't already have them; making it easier to access the loft takes a bit chunk out of the "hobby death" aspect. Depending how it is setup up there you might need to put down chipboard or similar to make a proper floor and add a light or two. Next have a mind as to the temperature of the loft; they can get quite warm in summer so you might not want to store finecast up there or other resin models (it should be fine but better safe than sorry). 

Next up you need to be organised as to what you put up there and how you store it. Boxes are important as are labels clearly on the box both top and sides. This way you can not only protect what you store, but also have it clearly visible what is stored where in the loft. You might not put any hobby stuff up there, but old household stuff that you don't need often. Christmas decorations are a good one (placed near the entrance as you at least need them once a year). 

At the very least you can stack the army(ies) you're not working on right now up there; if its easy access you can stack them near the entrance so that you can get access as and when you need without difficulty. It at least clears up the storage of stuff that you don't need right now. 

2) Market auctions - you can get some really cheap shelving units and other furniture if you're careful what you buy. A lot of bigger stuff tends to sell for very little because people don't want to take it home or pay for it to be transported home. Glass fronted shelving is great for at least one store for models to put some of your best painted ones on display (stacked in boxes is great and effective and dead boring!)

3) Coffers - I'm a fan of them! They are a classy way to add a bit of storage and even a small one can hold a trunkload of bits, boxes, tools, paints, books and all other general hobby stuff. Authentic old ones can be rather big and expensive; but more modern ones of a smaller size are ideal for sticking in a corner or edge and don't dominate the room; you can even put a cloth on them and put a vase of flowers or such on top for some decoration (or other decorative features)

4) KR Multicase makes some nice foam cases out of card that are easy to stack and store with and can be made so that you can grab what you want and slide them into a case of theirs; letting you swap and change between case configurations (ego armies) quickly without having to fuss around with foam. Of course if sounds like you've gone for magnetic casing so this might not work for you or go wel lwith what you've got setup yourself. 

Otherwise a neat stack in an alcove hidden behind a work table for the hobby might well suit you. With storage I find the key is to be organised and know where everything is and be rather fastidious about putting stuff away! You can store a lot of things in a room, but if you don't put it away as soon as you are finished you can very fast end up with a cluttered mess. It might not take long to clear up but it can make a place feel messy and be a pain if someone else has to clear up or ask you to clear up. 

2 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

I keep my models in a plastic two plastic boxs which are in a plastic bag outside of my window. when we have very strong wind I put it inside my bed for the night.

That sounds kind of extreme - however you could take a leaf from history and upgrade your plastic bags to a babycage! I'm serious in the 1930s or so babies were put in cages outside of apartment buildings, the idea being to give them some room and air in otherwise small and stuffy apartments! 

14 minutes ago, Overread said:

So my storage is half real half plans because I've literally no space to actually put up any proper storage. A few ideas though

1) I would have a serious look at the loft. Yes honestly! First up I'd get a set of those loft stairs that fold down if you don't already have them; making it easier to access the loft takes a bit chunk out of the "hobby death" aspect. Depending how it is setup up there you might need to put down chipboard or similar to make a proper floor and add a light or two. Next have a mind as to the temperature of the loft; they can get quite warm in summer so you might not want to store finecast up there or other resin models (it should be fine but better safe than sorry). 

Next up you need to be organised as to what you put up there and how you store it. Boxes are important as are labels clearly on the box both top and sides. This way you can not only protect what you store, but also have it clearly visible what is stored where in the loft. You might not put any hobby stuff up there, but old household stuff that you don't need often. Christmas decorations are a good one (placed near the entrance as you at least need them once a year). 

At the very least you can stack the army(ies) you're not working on right now up there; if its easy access you can stack them near the entrance so that you can get access as and when you need without difficulty. It at least clears up the storage of stuff that you don't need right now.

Fitting some loft ladders this week, but I know I just won't access the stuff if it's stored up there. Might end up that way once it's all painted, but whilst I'm working on it that's where I need it out. I've got the boxes in use however, so it could work. 

9 minutes ago, Ben said:

One day you are thinking about getting into this cool new game.  The next you are making sketch-up plans of your house to optimise hobby storage space. ?????

When you're 11 you just have to find a bit of space under the bunk bed or in dad's garage, but when you're 34 with 2 kids and a dog, suddenly your own space is very much at a premium! ? Unfortunately I've not got new house money at the minute, so man cave isn't an option. 

Sketch Up has been immense for me, used it in every room I've decorated in the last 10 years just about! 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

That sounds kind of extreme - however you could take a leaf from history and upgrade your plastic bags to a babycage! I'm serious in the 1930s or so babies were put in cages outside of apartment buildings, the idea being to give them some room and air in otherwise small and stuffy apartments! 

I would be too scared that the metal trash gatherers would bring it down to sell it. They do crazy stuff, just to get some cash for alcohol.

A friend of mine keeps his models on a special bunk he screwed on 4 coils to the roof his flat, and then hid it by building a white box around it. But his dad has a car workshop and tools to do it.

I have my little hobby-lair set up in the attic and was keeping everything magnetized in a big storage box but my wife wants the models on display downstairs so picked up a glass cabinet on freecycle. Doesn't take up too much space.

Archived