We need an Age of Sigmar video game

Arkalid

I kinda think a musou/Dynasty warriors style game would be the best fit for AoS, rather than an RTS/strategy game, tearing through hordes of generic order/death/chaos/destruction units as a powerful hero seems appropriate to the scale and design of the game, even if it doesn't necessarily reflect the tabletop.  The only issue would be that most of the big, named characters are either riding on monsters or are monsters themselves, which wouldn't play to well with the usual musou game scale,  but there are more than enough non-named infantry characters for every faction to fill out an interesting roster of heroes I think.

It wouldn't shock me if they did do a Dynasty Warriors style Warhammer game. They've been doing a few more things like Gundam and Fire Emblem games as of late - probably because the DW model needs some additional games around the edge to keep it fresh. Age of Sigmar would be perfect for the large character roster and insane battles and spells! 

What about a Battle Royale with Chaos Champions that gain power from slaughtering hoards of A.I. chaos followers? Gain buffs and mutations as you take out other players until two hulking brutes face off. Would solve the problem I have with Fortnite where you spend most of your time gathering resources just to get popped by some kid who lives online. Gorechosen Battle Royale I guess ...

Lots of great ideas posted here!

The reason i think a RTS game would be a better first choice, is that it would give the player the choice of using a faction (or Grand Alliance) they prefer, instead of "You are a Lord Celestant on a mission, separated from your host , fight hordes of enemies and bosses".

I have ignored some of the 40K video games because i have no choice but to play as a Space Marine, but i loved the Dawn of War series because i have the choice to play as Chaos, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids and others and there are mods that add new races and units. ?

The other thing is that RTS or even turn based strategy gives us one thing we can never get from tabletop - rank and file and large numbers of units! Or if they went like Warcraft 3 then its the bight blazing magic and speed of combat. Even games like Warmaster are never going to be the same as when you're playing a Total War game and you've got thousands of units on the battlefield (and even TW hasn't yet got to a point where it can simulate tens of thousands on the average home computer )

4 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

You guys all know there is a mobile game coming right . . . . .

Yeah...sadly... I mean I get it there are suckers players born every minute who pay those mobile game fees for the privilege to pay more.  I'd rather a full price game that can capture the epic scale of AoS.

19 minutes ago, chord said:

I'd rather a full price game that can capture the epic scale of AoS.

Just as there are people who don't mind spending more on easy acces, carry around games to make waiting times enjoyable*. There is no good or bad preference there. It's just taste and the market. 

* not me though, give me a witcher style game set in AoS. Or even better a final fantasy ( 7/8/9/12) style game. Would be brilliant. Replace Gaurdian Forces with Endless Spells. Player Characters upgrading due to their gods gifting them more powers. AoS even has Chocobos! It's a match made in heaven (at least to me ;) )

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor gryph-charger chocobo

Mine will be a beautiful Yellow!

5 hours ago, chord said:

Yeah...sadly... I mean I get it there are suckers players born every minute who pay those mobile game fees for the privilege to pay more.  I'd rather a full price game that can capture the epic scale of AoS.

Oh dont get me wrong i agree completely.

Id be happy with something similar to Space Marine. perhaps with a few tweaks.

The dream would be an actually decent MMORPG or atleast something open world

I really don't get why all warhammer games (including the ones in production and soon to be released like Chaosbane) are still in the old world...

The "old world" is what got me in the lore, with its unique dark fantasy setting. I still don't like AoS very much so seeing all these video games being released in the old world setting is just rubbing salt in the wound :(

Please GW, just stop selling the old world license and just make all games in AoS so I can finally move on...

I suspect there are several key reasons

1) Biggest one is that most of them likely started negotiations and development before Age of Sigmar was a reality. GW likely didn't want Sigmar and all that came with it to be known much before launch so those companies coming to the table likely never got told. Something like TW Warhammer is a big multi-year project and was likely well underway when the world blew up. 

2) Most of those seeking a GW licence are on some level a fan of the series which makes them willing to go with GW's product line instead of just making their own game. So part of it is that the developers are fans of the old world and want to make those games. 

3) Sigmar still has very weak lore. Like it or not a lot of its current lore is very sketchy and even the big rule book covers a lot of events but does so with little detail into each one. So whilst there's a lot that has happened and a lot to happen; it is still finding its feet and its identity. Even right now many fans still default to personalities and attitudes carried over from the OldWorld (old world  and sigmar age skaven players still sound, smell and repeat words the very same). 

Sigmar needs to ripen and mature a bit (its shaky start as a joke system did not help matters) and 2.0 has taken big strides in that direction. Hopefully as time passes GW can make the lore tighter; improve on the detail; get more Black Library books out; flesh out the factions and generally set things to order. Don't forget many factions are still sitting in very unknown situations (I'd say at least half of most of the grand alliances in terms of models and factions still has a big question mark over them as to if they will remain, be updated or be dropped, or combined or just left to founder on the sidelines)

A game set in AoS would at the very least not run into the Total War problem of tag-along marketing drawing people to the GW website, maybe thinking, "Oh yeah I'll buy Karl Franz on his buddy Deathclaw!" only to find that, wait, what? What the hell is a Freeguild?

3 hours ago, Overread said:

(old world  and sigmar age skaven players still sound, smell and repeat words the very same). 

We do it, because Skaven didn't change. Even GW presents them in the same way. They're still paranoic, backstabbing rats that double some words.

Wait... smell???

Archived