Starting Khorne, help needed.

EddieWouldGo

Hello all, i recently decided to start a second army  ( my first is mixed destruction mostly Gutbusters+BCR) and i chose Khorne with some Warherd. I like the playstyle and most importantly, the models are great. So far i got myself 20 Bloodletters and the Warherd box, what would be the next logical purchase? One of the SC! sets? I like the daemons one but from what i read the Bloodthrone is useless. Maybe some older starter sets? 

As for Blood Warriors, is it viable to use Khorne Chaos Warriors instead? Any major drawbacks?

Also, is the Bullscorch Bulltribe battalion still not viable for competitive play?

Bloodscorch Bulltribe battalion still doesn't have a points cost so isn't legal for matched play.

Seems like another 10 Bloodletters would be the logical next step, as they are kind of a "30 or nothing" type of unit. Then pick up a unit with the Daemon, Hero and Khorne keywords to proc their loci.

Khorne marked Chaos Warriors are just as good as Bloodwarrriors , just for different reasons, they trade damage for durability. So if you take them as an anvil then you still need a hammer.

36 minutes ago, EddieWouldGo said:

Hello all, i recently decided to start a second army  ( my first is mixed destruction mostly Gutbusters+BCR) and i chose Khorne with some Warherd. I like the playstyle and most importantly, the models are great. So far i got myself 20 Bloodletters and the Warherd box, what would be the next logical purchase? One of the SC! sets? I like the daemons one but from what i read the Bloodthrone is useless. Maybe some older starter sets? 

As for Blood Warriors, is it viable to use Khorne Chaos Warriors instead? Any major drawbacks?

Also, is the Bullscorch Bulltribe battalion still not viable for competitive play?

It depends. Some battalions require a minimum tithe of Blood Warriors but some don’t. So what your running will dictate whether you can bring them. You can always just bring both though. 

2 hours ago, EddieWouldGo said:

Any and all of the Start Collecting boxes are worth buying. You do not need to assemble the Blood Throne, you can build a Skull Cannon instead. It's still got limited use, but it's a fun unit to use until you get your forces built up. 

I would start with the Start Collecting box that's from the old starter set (it's listed under the Stormcast Eternals section for some reason). This gives you some massively important models to use including the MLoK, Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, some Warriors, a chunk of 'reavers and a Khorgorath. Then either the Bloodbound or Daemon Start Collecting sets. The Slaves to Darkness SC box also has it's uses, although you'll want to skip the Wizard. StD, as stated above, are more of an Anvil. However, the Gorebeast Chariot and Knights can bring some speed to your army for the meantime (Gorebeast + Bloodstoker is an especially potent combination!).

After that, a few more Slaughterpriests and maybe a Bloodthirster of your choice would be good buys. I'm always a fan of Meatripper 'reavers and the Aspiring Deathbringer. I also love a Chaos Warshrine for tanky Totem and Prayers. Khorne is a great army that has a lot of value available. I think I've only ever purchased a handful of individual models with the bulk coming from combo boxes. 

The great thing about khorne is that, unless you're going for maximum win and thus want a few big ol block of bloodletters, nearly every unit is extremely viable in medium level matched play. Even slaves to darkness have plenty of useful options like chaos knights or gorebeast chariots.

I’m also thinking Khorne + some WarHerds, with the thinking that they will be from the realm of beasts.

I picked up the Thunder and Blood box set before it went out of print, so i currently have:

1 bloodstoker

1 Korgorath

10 Blood reavers

5 Blood warriors 

Adding the new Goreblade warband to that would give me more synergy with additional heroes - lord of Khorne, bloodsecrator, another bloodstoker and Korgorath and a top up on the two units of  troops

I want to add the Mierce doombull equiv model to that as I think it looks awesome, and Khorne him right up (lack of keyword not withstanding).

Other than that I am trying to work out how best to convert my mountain of Gryph hounds into flesh hounds!

If you want to go heavy on the beast theme then the Goreblade start collecting box would make a lot of sense to have two khorgoraths and two bloodstokers. Would look great on the table; couple of whippy boys standing behind a front line of khorgoraths and Bullgors (although the Bullgors cant be whipped or otherwise buffed by any of the khorne stuff unfortunately).  

The start collecting daemons box would be a good pick up. The throne can be built as a skull cannon (even if you dont start with one it can be a handy thing to summon) and when you do that you end up with a Herald who you just need a base for, the extra letters brings your unit up to the magical 30 and you get 3 blood crushers. Granted those guys are even more useless then the throne but they can be summoned or converted into something better. 

Archived