Allocating wounds as seen fit

Richard Schaffed

Question

The example here is Durthu vs GUO. 

Durthu has 2 sword attacks the land for full 6 damage and then attack with the impaling talon and successfully wounds as well. 

GUO player applies wounds as seen fit and takes the wound from the talon first and negates the chance of the killing blow rule for it. 

Is this correct? 

6 answers to this question

As the attacking player, you decide the order in which the attacks are made. See pages 231 and 232. Rolling all attacks together is only there to make the game faster.

In any case, an attack consists of the to hit, to wound, save and determining damage. So, in your case, if you roll your sword attacks first, the GUO player would have to save the sword attacks first, not knowing if the impaling talon will hit or not.

The ability triggers on "inflict", which is before allocation.

So if you hit and wound and your opponent fails to save, you test for the ability there and then.

NB. this means other damage from the Treelord's attacks have no effect as the ability activates before wounds are actually allocated.

To clarify on wat @Gottkaiser said on page 232 of the core book there is a little segment on making attacks and what is in that attack sequence. It's 1. hit roll -> 2. Wound roll -> 3. save roll -> determine damage. 

But... 'Allocating Wounds' paragraph also does say 'once all of a unit's attacks have been resolved, add up the damage that was inflicted. The target commanding the target unit must then allocate a number of wounds to the target unit equal to the dames that was inflicted.' So this happens after the attack sequence (meaning all attacks).

The discussion should be about does the Impale ability trigger after he allocates all wounds. I would argue the attack only INFLICTS when it's allocated and all damage is allocated at the same time. So it happens after allocating wounds. Therefore the ability tests agains the remaining wounds. Regardless if you roll for the sword or talon attack first.

(would have been easier if the wording was consistent but it doesn't define when Inflict Wound happens. So my interpretation is inflict = allocate wound. I could see people coming to a different conclusion but it comes back to that assumption in my mind.)

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

To clarify on wat @Gottkaiser said on page 232 of the core book there is a little segment on making attacks and what is in that attack sequence. It's 1. hit roll -> 2. Wound roll -> 3. save roll -> determine damage. 

But... 'Allocating Wounds' paragraph also does say 'once all of a unit's attacks have been resolved, add up the damage that was inflicted. The target commanding the target unit must then allocate a number of wounds to the target unit equal to the dames that was inflicted.' So this happens after the attack sequence (meaning all attacks).

The discussion should be about does the Impale ability trigger after he allocates all wounds. I would argue the attack only INFLICTS when it's allocated and all damage is allocated at the same time. So it happens after allocating wounds. Therefore the ability tests agains the remaining wounds. Regardless if you roll for the sword or talon attack first.

(would have been easier if the wording was consistent but it doesn't define when Inflict Wound happens. So my interpretation is inflict = allocate wound. I could see people coming to a different conclusion but it comes back to that assumption in my mind.)

Core Rules p.7 Making attacks

"[...]

4. Determine Damage: Each successful attack inficts damage on the 
target unit equal to the Damage characteristic of the weapon making 
the attack.  "

Same page: Allocating wounds

"[...]

You can allocate the wounds inficted on your units as you see fit."

The use of tenses strongly suggestes the order in wich inflicting and allocating happen. (I'm startled too.)

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

You'd have a point if the core rules didn't specify what inflict and allocate mean.

Archived