The Day I Broke Maths

punkycloud

For a number of weeks I’ve been building up my first AoS army since leaving the game at the end of 8th and this week got the last set of toys bought and built (not fully painted yet but working on that).

Chuffed the lists was built I got in touch with a mate of mine to arrange a game so I could pick the rules up and see how the list felt. My list is quite an elite LoN list with the dynamic duo of Nagash and Arkhan running around; my mate brought a FEC list with 2 Zombie Dragons, and 3 big blocks of Ghouls. We set up with him deploying outside of dusty mirror range. I won the roll off and decided to go first. Not sure what I was doing as most things were out of range I popped the mirrors off and decided to Curse of Years his Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon through the mirror to drop its wounds some. To both our surprise my first ever Curse of Years went all the way down to 1+ , take it off.

Pretty chuffed we joked about beginners luck and the fact that I was seriously considering dropping Arkhan for 20 Grimghasts as I felt I was missing mass attacks with only 30 Chainrasps and 4 Morghasts and the dynamic duo.

Next turn I Dusted the remaining Zombie Dragon through the mirrors and got a double cast off on Curse of Years on a block of 40 Ghouls. The first attempt went as it statistically should causing 3 mortal wounds. The second casting though again went all the way down to 1+ , take them off. What are the chances?!

Next turn I popped mirrors and Curse of Year’d his unit of 30 Ghouls, got to 1+, take them off, then following turn I Curse of Year’d his unit of 15ish Ghouls, got to 1+, take them off. My mate was tabled. It’s not an exaggeration to say that Curse of Years single handily won the game.

Is Curse of Broken? It can be game changing but I think the answer is no, I instead broke maths. Getting off a full Curse of Years once is about a 1/7 chance so getting it on 4 out of 5 castings in one game is about a 1/2000 chance! (I think).

This game was bonkers and I’m looking forward to my next game as I have no idea what my list can really do and of course being disappointed by Curse of Years for the rest of my life as I don’t think that’s ever happening again :(

40 minutes ago, punkycloud said:

got a double cast off on Curse of Years

I'm not sure how you got this to go off twice. The natural 9+ roll that gets LoN spells to go off twice, only works with the spells from the spell lore, it doesn't with any of the spells on warscrolls. 

Also was your friend getting any death saves? As I think FEC also get death saves. Curse of Years recently got FAQ'd that inbetween each round of dice rolls, any mortal wounds cause can be negated with mortal wound saves. So if you roll 3 x 6s, they make 3 mortal wound saves (if they are able). If 1 of the 3 is saved, then you only roll two dice for the next round of dice rolls for the spell. 

Getting it to go all the way in 2 games is rare though, so congrats on that. 

Legion of Night cannot take Arkhan unless it also takes Mannfred as the general.

But yes, sometimes you get super lucky and a spell like curse of years feels OP. I'm not a huge fan of effects that most of the time do almost nothing, but sometimes are devastating. Imo there is very little strategy around using something that probably won't help you but might win the game if you get lucky. Same reason I hate Purple Sun and the "once per game something dies on a 6+" artifacts. 

A few things I noticed, u cannot get curse of years of twice in the same turn. Not sure how u did it but the most common mistake is by rolling 9+ (locus of Shyish) but it only works for lore spells, not spells on warscrolls. Secondly if he blocks a mortal wound with deathless minions the curse of years sequence ends bc it says to keep rolling until you have no more dice or you don't inflict a wound. Anytime you curse of years something with a mortal wound save u have to roll each mortal individually bc if he blocks it the sequence ends. Not sure if that would have changed anything or not but yea,vmoat of the time curse of years only does about 1 or 2 wounds 

27 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Not sure what you guys are playing here.

Neither Grimghast or Chainrasp are legal in either GHN or LoN list since the only allies are Flesh eaters.

That was FAQ’d.This change was from June 2018.

“Page 60 – Legions of Nagash
Add:
‘The following units may be selected as part of a Grand Host of Nagash, Legion of Sacrament, Legion of Blood or Legion of Night army and gain the appropriate faction keyword:
• Chainrasp Horde
• Glaivewraith Stalkers
• Grimghast Reapers
• Guardian of Souls
• Knight of Shrouds
• Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed
• Lord Executioner
• Spirit Torment’”

Here’s the Direct link:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_legions_of_nagash_errata_en-1.pdf

Just now, Kurrilino said:

ok then,

my mistake

No worries! Take a read through on the other ones there is a whole bunch of changes... (it’s pretty crazy...)

The Official Location:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

I’d actually recommend the one that @Antipodean7 from AosShorts.com compiled here: https://aosshorts.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ALL-24-July-2018.pdf

Archived