Death rider question

Oldmanlee

Hi all 

I'm on the look out for a new army and I keep finding myself wanting to do a cavalry army. The two army people keep suggesting to me are deepkin and nighthaunt. Now as competitive as the eel list is I can't get past the fact of the eel to me are just not nice looking models I know that nighthaunt have a formation called the death rider can that be competitive at all? 

Not sure how competitive it would be to be honest. It consists of hexwraiths which are ok, but the models do not fit in with the new aesthetics of the rest of the army. The other units required are the Black Coach and dreadblade harrows. You can then take a Knight of Shrouds on steed for the general, and the named character Reikenor, who is also on horse back.

If the base unit (hexwraiths) where a new sculpt or hit just a little bit harder I would say go for it.

You can also run a Legion of Nagash army as a cavalry army, no battalions for it really, but the models are there, use black knights, blood knights, heroes on horseback.

Hexwraiths are alright, you need Reikenor plus Cogs to get the best out of the list though as you’re getting a good bonus to charging.

The problem with Deathriders isn’t the battalion itself but the rest of your list. Do you try and create a quick list that’ll support the Deathriders but will have a really low model count or go for a standard setup of Chainrasps or Grimghast blobs and leave the Deathriders to fend for themselves?

I read about a interesting Legion off Blood list consisting off direwolf battleline, for fast and cost efficent anvils (and all the other things direwolfs are good at). Then they use Bloodknights as their hammer unit. Vampirelords on steeds is a must in an all cav army for Legion off Blood. A Vampire lord on Zombiedragon is a super cool model wich also synergises well with Legion off Blood.

I think the list was:

Vampirelord on Zombiedragon (general)

Vampirelord on steed x2

Direwolf 3x5

Direwolf 30

Bloodknight 3x5

That is 1940 points.

You can also use Black knights in the list above^. But if i was gonna do a heavy/all Black knight build i would have done a Grand host of Nagash list with Lords of Nagashizzar Comandtrait for +1 attack. 

Not quite sure about the 30 strong wolfpack, that’s 320 points...

of rabble in an elite list. 

(380 points left)

I‘d rather Sport a necromancer for overwhelming dread (270) and then

either another group of mighty bloodknights (upping one to 10 models)

or some hot wenches on their coven throne. Their command ability kicks a$$ (reroll 1s hit/wound/save) and the spell (6+ , 3d6 vs bravery, unit may not attack Ct) really lets them block a flank efficiently, while those almost maiden go to town with /in their stilettos (12x 3+\3+ 1dmg)...

thats 1990... or kick the necro for 10/10/5 puppies, all the vampires will sure regen them like crazy (2000 points)

Another option for you, if your main goal is cavalry, rather than faction is Slaanesh as a cavalry army. Chaos Knights hanging out with hellstriders rocking the -1 to hit banner makes for a surprisingly powerful cavalry anvil and Seekers are so ridiculously fast that they are a ton of fun to use. 

As for death, one cavalry force I've considered is a legion of blood list that rocks small units of black knights to run around and make sure at least -2 bravery is on most of the enemy army then uses mortis engines and/or terrorgheists to spam MWs on all the bravery debuffed units.

12 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Another option for you, if your main goal is cavalry, rather than faction is Slaanesh as a cavalry army. Chaos Knights hanging out with hellstriders rocking the -1 to hit banner makes for a surprisingly powerful cavalry anvil and Seekers are so ridiculously fast that they are a ton of fun to use.

I think there are a lot of cavalry armies out there, not to besmirch the death ones.  It depends a lot what you want to ride.

My ga: death list consists of hexwraiths, wolves,  black coach (maybe one of each version someday),  mounted necromancer and vampire lords,  chariots,  skeleton  horsemen and a Mortis engine.   Still stuck in painting queue,  but those things happen. 

Archived