Braggoth's Beast Hammer

Backbreaker

Hi guys !

So I was thinking about that battalion. With a minimum cost of 1250 points, it's expensive but it has some interessting tools.

First thing I tought, add Gordrakk to try a fist turn charge with +2 attacks and use Beast Hammer ability to strike twice with the whole battalion. But using Gordrakk means playing Destruction and not BCR. Unfortunatly neither Gruntas or Mournfangs are battleline... correct me if I'm wrong !

And if you add cheap destruction battlelines, you reach 2000 points with small sized units of Gruntas and Mournfangs... not sure that's a great idea...

So if I forget about Gordrakk, what would you play in 2nd ed.  with Beast Hammer ?

Beasthammer 'won' a tournament with only a troggoth hag for support, the only reason it wasn't considered a full win by the guy playing it is he DQ'd himself after finding out he was accidentally 20 points over (troggoth hag points changed by 20)

You are correct that you would have no battleline or only small units, which really defeats the purpose of beast hammer stacking the bonus on as large a mournfang set as you can get away with.

I've run it with a butcher in a local tournament, list was this:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
Butcher (140)
- Artefact: Spellmirror
- Allies

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists

Units
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 110

Edit: Now that I found the tournament notes I made, result was 4/1/1 for w/l/d, realms were in use, with specific realms and effects per round. 3rd place finish.

16 hours ago, WindstormSCR said:

Beasthammer 'won' a tournament with only a troggoth hag for support, the only reason it wasn't considered a full win by the guy playing it is he DQ'd himself after finding out he was accidentally 20 points over (troggoth hag points changed by 20)

You are correct that you would have no battleline or only small units, which really defeats the purpose of beast hammer stacking the bonus on as large a mournfang set as you can get away with.

I've run it with a butcher in a local tournament, list was this:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
Butcher (140)
- Artefact: Spellmirror
- Allies

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists

Units

Battalions
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 110

Edit: Now that I found the tournament notes I made, result was 4/1/1 for w/l/d, realms were in use, with specific realms and effects per round. 3rd place finish.

Can an ally (like the Butcher here) take a realm artifact?  

3 hours ago, Naflem said:

Can an ally (like the Butcher here) take a realm artifact?  

I am not sure, but Allies "cannot use or benefit from your army’s allegiance abilities".

Realm artifacts are not allegiance abilities, so I'd say they can use realm artifacts (but not artifacts from your allegiance abilities).

Beasthammer is great battalion, but it's hard to fit in 2x4 units of Mournfang into  it. So I usually go with 4x Mournfang and 2x Mournfang and then either ally in Troggoth Hag or take Thundertusk, plus Frostsabres for objective holding.

with the hag costing 380, there isn't actually any way to fit one without dropping both endless spells, and I found in tournament play that using the butcher and 2x mournfang unit to go for objectives while locking up as much as possible with early grunta and mournfang charges does the job

Malevolent maelstrom for double the unbind chances cannot be underestimated in its usefulness.

The latest FAQ's have now stated that allies can't have artifacts of power.

My take on the beast hammer is to also take a hunter and frost sabres to fill out battleline. I want all of my mournfang to have the +1 to hit.

Archived