DoK: Help with slow-grow ladder campaign

Arkalid

Hi guys.

So, I'm a very new player. I've played only 4 games of AoS2 and so far I've been really impressed by the game design. I'm currently taking part in a slow-grow campaign. The campaign uses Open War rules, so I'm not currently too involved with unit points and such, although I'm always keeping tabs on my total points. I own the Blood Coven starter box (which I built into Slaughter Queen on Blood Altar and Medusa+Death Hag on foot + 10 Witch Aelves with 2x daggers), as well as 5x Blood Stalkers. Every three weeks we're supposed to add a minimum size unit (or reinforce a unit) or add a hero. Since this is a great chance to also slowly build a good and well thought-out 2k army, I wanted to take the opportunity to ask you guys for some ideas.

So I chose Khailebron temple, because I love the idea of them being kinda assassins and the secret police of the cult. The rules are sweet too. So what should I go for after I've added the models I already have for my army? Blood Sisters? Which battalions work well? Are Khinerai good? What about SoS? How would you build a Khailebron army step-by-step?

P.S. I started the first round with Cauldron and Witch Aelves. So I guess right now I'm THAT GUY in my LGS.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump first of all. 

Secondly what’s the situation now?  What’s the unit size now? Definitely go for a hag, big unit of witches and 10 blood sisters. Kanarai are very good in the objective game, but not necessarily a priority yet. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:17 PM, Arkalid said:

Caldron and Witch Aelves. So I guess right now I'm THAT GUY in my LGS.

I know you mean this in jest but remember - taking something good and legal within the rules is not being THAT GUY; that is just playing the game. THAT GUY is the person who is a nasty person to play against; snide and rude; a poor sport in winning and losing; one who has no problem stooping to cheating for their own advantage; who will model, game and remember rules always in their favour and toward cheating. The kind of person who knows they play well but plays against total beginners to rank up wins; the kind of person who loudly talks down about others etc... So rest assured I'm sure you're not That Guy :)

I second hearing what you chose to add; at this stage though most of what you want to add are good choices. DoK don't really have any bad choices in the range (the least ideal are probably blood sisters just because they are rather generalist yet not good enough at ranged nor good enough in close combat to excel in any one area - again not bad just not "as good).  Whilst you've clearly had one week of choices I'd like to throw another choice into your consideration - Doomfire Warlocks. They give you not just a ranged and close combat skirmisher, but also a mage unit with access to their own powerful Doombolt spell and also access to the shadow lore for your faction. A chance to have an offensive and very mobile mage unit not just taking the Bloodwrack from the Cauldron kit 

7 hours ago, Overread said:

(the least ideal are probably blood sisters)

I believe you mean Blood Stalkers? 

I also second the procurement of Doomfire Warlocks. Normally, multi purpose unit wouldnt be a good fit (you'd want the few units you have to be good at what they do), but Doomfire's are just good enough to improve everyone around them.

Thanks for the replies!

Second round is starting in a week and I was thinking of adding the Blood Stalkers to the next campaign round (might as well, I have the models already), then Blood Sisters, Hag Queen and then I'm focusing on raising the Witch Aelves to 30 strong. After that, Doomfire Warlocks, a Bloodwrack Medusa and more snake Sisters. I think that the Blood Stalkers have their uses in the current early-campaign "meta", if can call it that, as most armies don't have a lot of bodies, meaning that even 1-2 kills a turn from shooting snakes means a lot. I like the Khinerai models, but since I play Khailebron, I'm not too worried about getting them right now.  Most opposing armies have low amount of models, many of them shooty. In my first round I played against Wanderers (destroyed them), Khorne Mortals (my cauldron was sent to the Realm of Khorne and I lost the game), killed some Dragon ogres, led by a Shoggoth, then was destroyed by Sequitors and the mage-lord on some mount (couldn't penetrate their shield wall, Avatar never woke up and the enemy leader killed my cauldron). So right now I'm somewhere in the middle of the ladder (5/11 I think). 

The campaign isn't all that serious, as most of us (me included) are playing our first games of Age of Sigmar.

As a side note, I started a Reddit thread about my Daughters of Khaine project. You can check my models here.

So, to recap, heading to campaign round (or "week") 2, I'll be playing with Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood, 10 Witch Aelves and 5 Blood Stalkers. Then, heading to Round 3, I'll be adding 5 Blood Sisters, after which I'll add Hag Queen and then get the Witch Aelves to 30-strong. After that, either Doomfire Warlocks (thinking of converting them from Sisters of Thorn and the Warlocks kit, or I might as well take the easy way out), or more Blood Sisters. I've already decided to add Morathi for the last round, simply because I love her model. Most of the army will be snake ladies, I think.

Archived