Lord Castellant is obsolete

Black Blade

17 hours ago, EMMachine said:

You should remember that the Gryph-Hounds Warscroll was updated, too. And with the new Warscroll only Stormcast Eternals Units profit from the Warning Cry ability.

Thanks I hadn't thought of that. That's a nerf to the Guardians of Alarielle sylvaneth/SCE battalion I want to run. Shouldn't be too much of a problem since the Castellan and gryph hound should be hugging the eternals units anyway.

On 8/6/2018 at 12:44 AM, Black Blade said:

It makes me sad too, I love the model, I think he is quite striking with the halberd and lantern but while he was appealing he is lacking compared to other melee hero options in the army. The main thrust of my argument is based on his competition that, in my opinion you would never not take over the Castellant... the Lord Veritant. 

The catellants lantern is largely useless in this period of the game as you must roll a 7+ for a save which is near impossible given the prevalence of rend and the nerfing of mystic shield. The Veritant has a lantern therefore he can take mystic lights, he's a wizard hunter including being able to unbind in some cases with +3 to the role. He has the gryphhound. He has the same weapon plus one attack. He is a priest and can take a prayer. All this he gets for a measly 20 points over the Castellant. I think the Veritant needs nerfing less than I think the Castellant needs buffing/rewriting. I think a lot of the early stormcast units/models need a small rework to make sense in the new landscape and that they were designed with a different kind of game in mind. 

Looking forward to arguments and concurrences.

The Veritant got hit hard by the new book. The Castellant is a mainstay of pretty much any Stormcast army. 

The Castellants Lantern is SUPER amazing. You've always needed to roll a 7+ and it's NEVER mattered. The heal is a tiny, tiny bonus on the INCREDIBLY valuable +1 to save. Keep in mind that the Stormcast army has more save rerolls than any other army in the game and that +1 and rerolls stack upon each other exponentially. It can also make your large units/monsters almost completely immune to damage from certain units. I've gotten the heal off maybe 3 times EVER and I still would never take anything but a hardcore vanguard list without a Castellant.

The mystic lights take up a relic slot and aren't particularly great.

He is absolutely NOT a wizard hunter. He's too slow to use half of his abilities, even with the Stormcast deepstrike and he will NEVER get +3 to a roll against anyone who has any skill at AoS. Getting a 3 wound model with no save that close to your opponent would require a double turn AND big mistakes on your opponent's part. Castellant ALSO has a gryph hound. Their melee profiles are totally irrelevant. His prayer is the only good thing about him and it's STILL not as good as the castellant's +1 to save.

The Lord Veritant is actually TERRIBLE in practice. The only reason he was ever taken in the past was because he was the only thing in the Stormcast army that could unbind spells. Now with the Knight Incantor and Lord Arcanum, there's absolutely no place for the Veritant anymore. The Relictor has a generic prayer on top of his unique prayer which is itself far superior to a single unboosted unbind for 40pts cheaper. The lord castellant has one of the best buffs in the game that is guaranteed to go off and cannot be stopped or gotten rid of in any way and can take the mystic lights also for 20pts cheaper.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:46 AM, Trayanee said:

This is really funny. I mean, If you were talking about Liberators, Paladins, almost all old battalions, maybe even Relictor...I would probably just nod, but Castellant? As long as Stardrake remains relevant, his armor bot and his puppy do so too.

Sequitors being able to get built in rerolls makes him more valuable than ever IMHO.

15 hours ago, Fred1245 said:

The Veritant got hit hard by the new book. The Castellant is a mainstay of pretty much any Stormcast army. 

The Castellants Lantern is SUPER amazing. You've always needed to roll a 7+ and it's NEVER mattered. The heal is a tiny, tiny bonus on the INCREDIBLY valuable +1 to save. Keep in mind that the Stormcast army has more save rerolls than any other army in the game and that +1 and rerolls stack upon each other exponentially. It can also make your large units/monsters almost completely immune to damage from certain units. I've gotten the heal off maybe 3 times EVER and I still would never take anything but a hardcore vanguard list without a Castellant.

The mystic lights take up a relic slot and aren't particularly great.

He is absolutely NOT a wizard hunter. He's too slow to use half of his abilities, even with the Stormcast deepstrike and he will NEVER get +3 to a roll against anyone who has any skill at AoS. Getting a 3 wound model with no save that close to your opponent would require a double turn AND big mistakes on your opponent's part. Castellant ALSO has a gryph hound. Their melee profiles are totally irrelevant. His prayer is the only good thing about him and it's STILL not as good as the castellant's +1 to save.

The Lord Veritant is actually TERRIBLE in practice. The only reason he was ever taken in the past was because he was the only thing in the Stormcast army that could unbind spells. Now with the Knight Incantor and Lord Arcanum, there's absolutely no place for the Veritant anymore. The Relictor has a generic prayer on top of his unique prayer which is itself far superior to a single unboosted unbind for 40pts cheaper. The lord castellant has one of the best buffs in the game that is guaranteed to go off and cannot be stopped or gotten rid of in any way and can take the mystic lights also for 20pts cheaper.

Thank you for explaining answers like this have furthered my understanding of the game. 

Archived