What warband thrives in a four way game?

Urbanus

I dont know how often you guys get to play a four way game, but what warbands do you think would do well? 

I have heard SG do poorly because you risk loosing models much quicker than you can bring them back. Same problem could be relevant for skaven? I can imagine Farstriders would do well since they can dominate the game from a safe distance. Four way would propably also favor orcs since it highly unlikely that they wont all inspire during the game.

unfortunately objective play seems even more impropable in four way games which is a shame, but that play style is hanging by a thread already it seems...

If by a 4 players game to refer all-vs-all*, I don't think any band is in a particularly weak position. I have played several games Fyreslayers, SC, Skavens, and SG, and we all fared fine.  With more players, you have plenty of chances of scoring aggro-based objectives (you can choose going against SG and skavens for easy to get glory), but you have also more chances of scoring objectives, for you can choose which enemy board to enter, and sometimes while you are entering the enemy territory, that enemy may be also leaving to fight somewhere else.  On the other hand,  "weak" bands like SG  may be in a slight disadvantage depending on your game partners, mostly because with 2 wounds and such a low attack is the easy pick. Players, me included, tend to avoid going straight ahead against warbands that can one-shot your precious fighters, and instead indulge in breaking havoc among less combat-oriented warbands.

As with any board game with more than 2 players, you need to know against whom and when to pick up a fight. Too early, and you may get the unwanted attention of more than 1 player, too late and you won't be able to choose your opponent.  And because of that I don't take 4 players  games seriously. They are REALLY fun, and everytime I meet 3  of my friends we go for it (instead of 2 simultaneous games). You just need to forget about balancing and competitive gaming.   

*There are rules for 2 vs 2 that are a whole different story, and the warband election is quite important.

I don't take 4 players  games seriously. They are REALLY fun, and everytime I meet 3  of my friends we go for it (instead of 2 simultaneous games). You just need to forget about balancing and competitive gaming. 

I came here to say this. Free for all multiplayer games where you can actively pick on a specific player has always been crazy unbalanced.
Good luck being the one sandwiched between 3 other players.  I wouldn't worry much about picking the "best" warband.
But note that stuff that affects all fighters are relatively stronger. You still take the same damage from shardfall, but now you deal damage to 3X more enemies.
A well placed Great Concussion can also f*** everything up for a lot more fighters.

• 2 months later...

There are not official rules, only some house rules I found in a forum. I thought they were a lot of fun, so I would recommend anyone to give them a try. 

I have tried to link directly to the page, but I can't find it  anywhere. As far as I remember:

The game is 2 vs 2.

Activations proceed player 1 team 1, player 1 team 2, player 2 team 1, and player 2 team 2. 

You can use ploys and upgrades on the fighters of your teammate.

You share the glory pool.

Teammate's fighters support your attack.

And maybe the best rule: "There can be no card duplicates in the team's deck (objective or action cards)".

I found it was fun to create two different decks that will support each other, instead of two decks having quick thinker, escalation, twist the knife and so on.

Archived