BLACKOUT - Results, Feedback & Lists

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

These two things are both pretty big deals. I think to a great extent the wargaming community has been relatively insulated from concerns about angle-shooting, and it may be possible that existing mechanisms like sports scores and community policing will maintain the status quo.

That said, AoS as it currently exists is ripe for exploitation by subtly unscrupulous players. IMO, the absolute biggest area of concern is stalling/intentional slow play. There are certain armies that can pretty consistently set up a solid defensive position on the objectives on turn 1 and will be able to take the first turn against the vast majority of opponents (a 1 drop Sylvaneth army, for example). It would be pretty easy for such a player to just play at a very slow pace. Think a lot, be very careful with measurements, measure out multiple possible moves as often as possible, etc. Furthermore, such a player could actually be able to get a lot of sportsmanship cred against unwary opponents by being friendly, engaging in a lot of banter and conversation, making sure to clarify and check rules whenever there is the slightest uncertainty etc. I have no doubt that a person could consistently ensure that games end on turn 2 or 3 due to running out of time without actually being all that suspicious, which is of course a HUGE advantage for an army that can expect to take an early lead on VP. 

@ianob without having been at the event or seen a lot of the lists, my initial impression is that the metagame was not nearly so alpha-strike heavy as BOBO. Has this event made you feel any better about the state of the game?

Let’s try not to derail chris’s Feedback topic with discussions eh! PM me if you want to chat

@Shinzra it was domhain all the stabby eels plus volturnos and combat eidolon. 

On kill points - i can see my point may have been misunderstood. I think kill points achieved - which counted as a tie breaker should be capped at 2k. I’m not that bothered about it to be honest tho but if I’d won 4 games I might be.

to add to earlier points 

- round times - 2 hours and 45 minutes is so much better than 2 hours and 30 and allowed games to reach their conclusion  much more easily. Would hope that length could become the new standard. 

Great event again Chris,  well organised, good food, excellent facilities, good access to drinks and even a shop to wander around and dream of new armies! 

Excellent pack, as a non summoning army who can only fight in combat (ironjawz) being able to score the kill points for when an opponent gets a free 300 extra points of models to me felt fair, those models appear from no where and score objective points. I like the fact it didn’t effect the game result (I.e you only counted them towards the tiebreaker score not the minor victory result if people drew on objectives). Good use of the new rules too I have a slight issue with movement after teleport but that’s the rules not your pack! 

5 fantastic opponents in Ritchie, Nick, Dan B, Stu C and Dan G would happily play any of you guys again! 

Will be coming back again next year 

15 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

I see a lot of allegiance Chaos lists. Were any of them Skaven focused? The most competitive way to run Skaven is probably Skaven soup under Chaos allegiance so it's always hard to tell whether Skaven are actually being used at most tournaments :)

There was definitely one Skaven heavy list. You will be able to view all lists soon :D 

13 hours ago, Glaurung said:

First FEC was...
Can't find it, can you help me?

Wow yeh, didn't even think about this. Zero Flesh-eater Courts armies! :( 

13 hours ago, Shinzra said:

Anyone know what list les martin used?

All lists will be available this week.

I will reply in more detail to some of the other points later in the week / early next week. Got such a backlog of work at present though. I do agree there is a big discussion to be had on tiebreaks and kill points in general at the moment. Strength of schedule as mentioned by @ianob is something that is very much worth looking into IMO.

I was down with 3 other guys, we all had an absolute blast, even if we only managed an average of 1 win each between us. ;)

One thing we liked from other tournaments for example is multiple best sports votes. I feel the style of voting they have in the heats really brings out the best in players, because more votes to go around means more chance of people being voted! I also like the "best army" system, in terms of general theming and playstyle, but I guess that's what makes tournaments different.

Also, and it's minor really, but I had an opponent approach me after the tournament finished saying he found it strange I had no best sports votes when he had voted for me. He could have been trying to make me feel better of course, but I did find it odd if true!

Chris, I had a fantastic event. Blackout was my first 'proper' event last year, and it was just as welcoming and fun this year. I had five very different games with five lovely opponents. Food was great, venue coped admirably with the heat... all top notch.

AoS-feedback: the sheer cost of keeping up with recent changes was a bit beyond me. As an occasional player, I find keeping a hold on my own army is just about my limit. I already come in to games wary that I'll give someone bad game because I haven't internalised the rules very well. And that was a ******-load of (quite expensive) rules to come out in one go. 

Realm rules, from the core book, I could get a handle on. But I couldn't afford Malign Sorcery on release, and even now it's a stretch.

I think you did everything you could as an organiser to set folks like me at ease AND make sure the more competitive folks had a solid basis for lists. Your pack – the realm rules guide in particular – was a lifesaver in that sense.  And I had great opponents all weekend who were really patient with explaining the Malign Sorcery supplement.  But I still felt like I was in a bit of a fragile position rules-wise: a few grumpy opponents, or another new supplement, could have knocked my confidence in the hobby.

6 hours ago, Trayanee said:

No Legion of Azgorh player? That's a pity. I was looking forward to seeing some new lists.

@Ben couldn't make the event haha!!

3 hours ago, Siorra said:

Also, and it's minor really, but I had an opponent approach me after the tournament finished saying he found it strange I had no best sports votes when he had voted for me. He could have been trying to make me feel better of course, but I did find it odd if true!

Do you mind DMing me his name and I'll double check his pack.

Will respond to others tomorrow :) 

Thank you so much to @Chris Tomlinfor organising and making my first tournament such a laugh. 

Played some outstanding games and learnt so much as a player. 

Still stunned guys gave me 4 votes for best game. So many sound people up therep laying. 

Thanks to Firestorm games as the venue was rad!

This is definitely not the last time you'll see my Ironjawz! WAAAGH! 

Had a terrific time at BLACKOUT - well ran, great venue, awesome people! Chris' events remain up there as my fave events and I'll always make the effort to attend though solicitors nearly scuppered me this year! 

Regarding Realm rules I think some minor tweaks regarding teleport and move (hopefully to be errata'd soon)  or perhaps just using the feature, sig spell and command ability would be simpler. A couple of my games ran close on time as there's a lot of stuff to take in, especially a new spell deck (I just ignored them myself to save time!) There is an awful lot to take in in AoS2 so I wouldn't mind the simpler approach to realms. 

Terrain; there was a decent amount of terrain, though most of it wasn't AoS friendly. To that end I'd have had no issues with Ben J's terrain as it looks like an AoS table and also blocks LoS and has an effect on the game. More of that sort of thing please! A lot of my games did look like we were playing on an 8th ed table. So constructively I'd like to see more AoS suitable terrain (I wouldn't mind bringing my own either) 

Painting was awesome. Aaron's army was fantastic and a deserved winner. Got my vote as soon as I saw it. 

Great event,  I can't believe how the main attention seems to be on some second-hand gossip as opposed to what was a cracking event and great time. I imagine it is very frustrating for Chris to have ran an awesome event with nay a gripe to come on here and find people verbally crapping all over the place with half-heard and mis-understood semi-facts. Forums hey? 

Thanks to Chris, Rob and Loz for their hard work over the weekend and the Firestorm staff. 

3 minutes ago, Bananaman said:

Terrain; there was a decent amount of terrain, though most of it wasn't AoS friendly. To that end I'd have had no issues with Ben J's terrain as it looks like an AoS table and also blocks LoS and has an effect on the game. More of that sort of thing please! A lot of my games did look like we were playing on an 8th ed table. So constructively I'd like to see more AoS suitable terrain (I wouldn't mind bringing my own either) 

Thanks Timmy,

Just to pick up on one element of your post for now, I completely agree re the Firestorm terrain. It looked like 8th ed terrain as I guess that's exactly what it is. They've had a couple of big AoS events at the venue now, so my primary piece of feedback to them this year will be that I feel it is now time they expanded upon their terrain for AoS. So fingers crossed, by next year the tables look more like we'd expect for our AoS events (in an ideal world all just like Ben's terrain eh!).

I have to say I am pretty surprised by some of the fallout. However as you say it comes from people who were not at the event. I didn't get a sense of any of that kind of thing from the event whatsoever, so I'm not really bothered by it. These are people that want to create a drama about something whilst sitting behind their keyboards. Unfortunately for them, the realm rules and uncomped Warhammer went smoothly, so they had to manufacture something else!

59 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Chris Tomlin Not meaning to pester, as I'm guessing things have been busy, but wondering if you have an eta on when the lists will be released?

Cheers

Hey,

They will be out this week. I have taken a few days just to chill after the event. Gaming tonight, so will either do it tomorrow or worst case Sunday (at a wedding Saturday).

There's an outside chance I'll do it when I get in tonight, but definitely no promises. I'll have them with you all soon, apologies for the delay.

Lists;

http://traffic.libsyn.com/theblacksun/BLACKOUT_lists2018.pdf

You'll have to excuse the format, but this is the only reasonable way to get this many lists out (and still takes ages!). For a variety of reasons, I think moving back towards list submission for events is the way forwards. If nothing else, this would allow us a nice digital PDF with everything in the same (readable) format!

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to BLACKOUT - Results, Feedback & Lists
53 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

@Chris Tomlin

I believe that with the Warscroll Builder app being free a free and available resource that automatically formats into a .pdf, I think that would be a reasonable request. 

Some folks' handwriting is... less than legible (I know from first hand experience!)

Thank you for compiling everything, though!  

Whilst I get what you are saying, when asking for a paper copy I personally don't think it's reasonable to request a specific format unfortunately. Many people will actually be putting pen to paper on the morning of the event - I myself am the same when I attend events that need a paper submission....and yeh, I'm in the awful handwriting camp as well (when do you ever need to handwrite IRL anymore?! :P)

I think paper lists are a thing of the past and I won't be asking this of my players again. With all the extra information that goes on an army list nowadays, I think it's preferable to get everyone to submit a week or two beforehand so they can be reliably checked for errors beforehand. If you are doing electronic submission, then yeh I completely agree with you that you would want all players to follow the same format (and that Warscroll Builder is the simplest way of doing this - also, it's format is clear and easy). You can then release a nice, tidy, easy to read PDF ahead of the event. This also helps to build a bit of hype as everyone gets talking about the lists as well!

It sounds silly, but even just putting 94 lists in order of placing takes way longer than you'd expect haha! You're welcome though ;) 

Archived