Nighthaunt win BLACKOUT.

Ben

9 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

Can’t  believe someone would complain over that terrain. To me that table actually looks sparse, we usually play with more terrain than that. There isn’t only one big LOS block in the center of the table and it’s not very big. Shooting armies would have a field day on that table. 

Yeah, I often put more terrain than that on tables as well.  I always make sure to leave enough room in places for large units to clash or for units to strategically block choke-points.  Also, there should be enough avenues of movement for people to effectively use fast moving troops to bypass or flank units holding choke-points.

A sparse table is a boring shooting gallery & alpha-strike clash.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Here you go ? 

Very cool.  I will be interested to see the list for this and what the various conversions were used for.  The one in the middle seems to be a Coven Throne, but I am not sure about the one with the Merwyrm and the Hydra.  

It looks pretty great though!

34 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Very cool.  I will be interested to see the list for this and what the various conversions were used for.  The one in the middle seems to be a Coven Throne, but I am not sure about the one with the Merwyrm and the Hydra.  

It looks pretty great though!

It was a Mortis Engine and the two beasts were Terrorgheists. Was even better in person and we’ll deserved the landslide vote!

Right guys, back on topic.  

Nighthaunt won an event.  

Terrain was fine and everyone there was very happy with it.  Except one guy.  And he got tabled anyway.  

Lets talk about the list/faction/meta.  

If you want to carry on about tournament terrain please do so in another thread.

I would very much like more insight into the winning army.  What synergies & tactics were used.  Why those particular units?  Does it have to do with a lot of the army not being available yet, or was there other thought that went into it?  If his performance was as dominant as has been mentioned then it feels like there could be a lot to unpack from picking his brain on this particular army.

Well with the ways rules are strucutured right now the best army seemto be some sort of undead lists. They lost nothing in the edition change, got a lot of nice buffs, shoting nerfs coupled with magic being such a big focus on of the edition they only got better. At the same time lots of other old good armies got nerfed in to oblivion, and SCE didn't really get a power build with their new battle tome. This makes LoN and the guants flexible like no other army.  To point where they have multiple builds which are good. And such a thing is always good, because a tournament own rules may make this or that combination better or worse.   GW also doesn't seem to in a mind set of nerfing them, so they seem a sure pick for the next year of playing.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Right guys, back on topic.  

Nighthaunt won an event.  

Terrain was fine and everyone there was very happy with it.  Except one guy.  And he got tabled anyway.  

Lets talk about the list/faction/meta.  

If you want to carry on about tournament terrain please do so in another thread.

That's a fair point, new thread here: 

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

his makes LoN and the guants flexible like no other army.  To point where they have multiple builds which are good. And such a thing is always good, because a tournament own rules may make this or that combination better or worse.   GW also doesn't seem to in a mind set of nerfing them, so they seem a sure pick for the next year of playing.

In term of flexibility, I think that nurgle is a serious contender: daemons, mortals,GUO, knights, skaven, archaon etc... But not many players. Lets see in the near futur. I don't know Idoneth and DoK which have been said powerfull also (ID is more flexible than DoK). 

I'm trying with SCE also. I see some potential but less player love also.

What does help Death a lot (LoN and NH and/or mix) is that there is a huge growing player base. I won't be surprised to see them top tier just because of that.

2 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

Well with the ways rules are strucutured right now the best army seemto be some sort of undead lists. They lost nothing in the edition change, got a lot of nice buffs, shoting nerfs coupled with magic being such a big focus on of the edition they only got better. At the same time lots of other old good armies got nerfed in to oblivion, and SCE didn't really get a power build with their new battle tome. This makes LoN and the guants flexible like no other army.  To point where they have multiple builds which are good. And such a thing is always good, because a tournament own rules may make this or that combination better or worse.   GW also doesn't seem to in a mind set of nerfing them, so they seem a sure pick for the next year of playing.

I don't think we can say that much of this is or is not true at all.  The edition is brand new and the ink is barely dry on the first major errata.  Only 2 armies have a book designed specifically for this edition and they have not even released all of the models for those factions yet.  I don't think anyone can say that Nighthaunt or Legions of Nagash are kings of this edition or not and similarly that Stormcast do not have strong builds.

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

Let's not forget that nighthaunt won on kill points since they were one of three armies to go undefeated together with a Daughters of Khaine army and a Chaos army

Technically he won on Best Opponent votes as he had two, whereas Simon and Ady just had one. That was my first tiebreak.

As it was though, of the three of them, he also had considerably more kill points so would've won in a more conventional system where kill points are the first tiebreak anyway.

There's some interesting discussion to be had on tie breaks and kill points in particular at the moment IMO, but that should be kept for another topic.

any pink horror heavy armies? 

genuinely interested.

as i was repeatedly criticised for negativity towards their change " before they've even been played competitive level as i have no idea how it will work and shouldn't moan " - play tester who shall not be named

6 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

I wouldn’t even put legions of Nagash in the top 5 most competitive factions right now. Thinking that they are (in no particular order)

Daughters

Nurgle

Stormcast

Deepkin

Nighthaunt

That is certainly some semblance of accurate, insofar as it's ever possible to accurately assess a tier list.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that tier lists are pointless, though, since battleplan-realm-matchup varies SO wildly and adds such a huge random factor into the game that you can add a large number of auto wins and auto losses to a lot of armies on any given day. And that is why highly mobile armies with Alpha strike are good right now, and Legions of Nagash may well be a "4-1" faction; given the sheer randomness of the game, being able to deploy and/or move anywhere on the board, and having the option to try to table your opponent instead of bothering with the mission, is simply a superior way to play the game. Factions like LoN, mixed Chaos, DoK, etc that can take an Alpha strike on the chin and keep on going are also very suited to this meta but are more prone to drawing a matchup that they're in a poor position to win at the outset.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:46 AM, Luke1705 said:

I wouldn’t even put legions of Nagash in the top 5 most competitive factions right now. Thinking that they are (in no particular order)

Daughters

Nurgle

Stormcast

Deepkin

Nighthaunt

AH ! and you do not put the Best army of all in this list ? SLAVE TO DARKNESS ! They do not have been brought to the tornament because they are FAR TOO STRONG :D?

Archived