Nighthaunt win BLACKOUT.

Ben

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo, not to create controversy, but is it now legal to bring your own terrain to events? Because it's being reported that this is what happened here. The TO allowed Ben to put some ridiculously large LOS blocking pieces that he had brought onto the board which of course his army could charge over no problem but the Nurgle army could not. 

For reference, these were some of the pieces brought and placed:

Terrain.jpg

Totally the norm for events.  The majority of them get players to bring terrain.  

From what I understand Nighthaunt vs Nurgle for the tournament win was a good game. Best sports all around. 

That photo looks like Ben’s army at SCGT, not Blackout.

What’s going on here?? Seems like a very odd post to start with ‘not to create controversy’ looks like that’s exactly what you are trying to do 

18 minutes ago, Ben said:

Totally the norm for events.  The majority of them get players to bring terrain.  

From what I understand Nighthaunt vs Nurgle for the tournament win was a good game. Best sports all around. 

Sure...but not to get to place that advantageous terrain in nearly every game... players should get no say in placing terrain ever. 

It was great to play Ben in game 5 today! I know some people have asked about the terrain impeding my armies movement compared to other tables but for me personally, it was fantastic to play on such a thematic table. How epic to take on Olynder in Shyish with the Blackout title on the line!

The experience also made me think more about creating my own terrain! 

It was a great game and I would recommend Blackout to anyone thinking of going next year!!!

Below is the calm before the storm! Another big thanks to @Chris Tomlin for a great event!

CE7FD23C-25F2-4992-84B2-97A4516E1864.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Ben said:

That photo looks like Ben’s army at SCGT, not Blackout.

What’s going on here?? Seems like a very odd post to start with ‘not to create controversy’ looks like that’s exactly what you are trying to do 

The pictures were of his previous terrain pieces, not of the current event. As you can see in the above post, the same pieces of terrain were brought.

21 minutes ago, Carrion King said:

It was great to play Ben in game 5 today! I know some people have asked about the terrain impeding my armies movement compared to other tables but for me personally, it was fantastic to play on such a thematic table. How epic to take on Olynder in Shyish with the Blackout title on the line!

The experience also made me think more about creating my own terrain! 

It was a great game and I would recommend Blackout to anyone thinking of going next year!!!

Below is the calm before the storm! Another big thanks to @Chris Tomlin for a great event!

So long as you were cool with it then I'm happy. Just want to make sure players aren't in the habit of bringing their own terrain if they're going to exploit it. TO's should borrow terrain if they need it, but they should also be the ones to place it. That's all I'm aiming to ensure happened.

There’s been a lot of naysayers about Nighthaunt with some people slating Lady Olynder, Kurdoss Valentian, Spirit Torments and Myrmourn Banshees as being worse than useless. This result proving those people wrong is very pleasing.

I don’t for one second think they’re the best army out there at the minute but in the hands of a good player they’ll do well.

Congrats to Ben

2 hours ago, Rogue Sun said:

Sure...but not to get to place that advantageous terrain in nearly every game... players should get no say in placing terrain ever. 

It's also a UK only thing, interestingly enough. No NA tournament I can think of allows players to bring their own terrain (which I personally think is the better way to do it).

We do adjust the terrain at the start of every battle, but what's on the table is what's on the table.

My local tournaments also allowed players bringing terrain in aos 1.  There's a certain guideline to it but everyone that have, will bring advantageous terrain with them. Namely the Occulum back then.

Congratz to Ben. Pretty surprising list too.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Looking at the picture of the game (I assume that is the nurgle vs Nighthaunt game people are talking about), I can’t see what the “exploited terrain” comment is about.  It looks like a pretty good table to me.

I'm guessing it's the fact that the "ship terrain" pieces are not insignificant LOS blockers on the deployment line/mid-line and that the two on the right create a very effective choke point vs non-flyers.

1 hour ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I'm guessing it's the fact that the "ship terrain" pieces are not insignificant LOS blockers on the deployment line/mid-line and that the two on the right create a very effective choke point vs non-flyers.

Isn’t that the kind of boards that you want to have in general?  Things with line of sight blockages, things to maneuver around, and formations for someone to potentially take advantage of.  Isn’t that generally the point of having terrain on the battlefield?

17 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Isn’t that the kind of boards that you want to have in general?  Things with line of sight blockages, things to maneuver around, and formations for someone to potentially take advantage of.  Isn’t that generally the point of having terrain on the battlefield?

Same thought.

I‘d be happy to play on such a map.

Archived