Pirate Army

Urza4V

Hi guys, 

I’m new to AoS 2.0 and I’m planning a pirate army (Kharadron Overlords & Idoneth Deepkin)

What do you think about losing specific faction abilities for a wider roster and more flexibility?

thanks!

I’d personally do one or the other. Idoneth without tides or forgotten nightmares will get picked off quite easily and no code on the Kharadons makes an already suboptimal faction worse. That said if you’re doing it for narrative and theme then rule of cool trumps all

I agree with @Melcavuk gameplay wise you miss so many options for losing the allegiance ability. And it can be worth it if it really support each other but with this combination you end up with a whole lot of 5+ 1 wound models. But rule of cool trumps all is a very good summary! 

Just another thought. What if you build up a army with two parts of 1K for starters. Get a mate around around on your side and you can have amazing 4 player 1K per side. battle. Best of all worlds ;) And from there you can build it out if you like. 

But for the modelling opportunities it;s just to cool an opportunity to miss. 

I got the KO battleforce with this pirate army plan in mind, or a duardin army eventually. Then I read the rules and got stuck in the strong allies  limitations.

I’m not sure about building a all KO army, ‘cause I’m not a tournament guy and I’d like to differentiate the models I buy

Thanks guys for your feedback

I have made many a tactically questionable army because the concept and modelling opportunities trumped the occasional rough game. At the end of the day if you’re intending to spend hours enjoying assembling, painting and fluffing out the army then gaming is just an added bonus. The only thing I’d be wary of is if you’re more of a gamer (as opposed to more of a creator) lean and losses might lead to you losing the joy of making and painting the models it’s best to know upfront that tactically they’d be a little hamstrung.

I'm gonna be that guy and point out that Idoneth Deepkin aren't actually pirates, at least they're not to me in the conventional sense of the word.

Scourge Privateers on the other hand would (in the background) go well thematically with Kharadron Overlords as part of a Free City, maybe chuck in some of the seedier elements of Free Peoples as well? A great narrative hook (hurr!) for a Skirmish warband.

In terms of the main game itself, I'll echo what the others have said and suggest picking one faction or the other if we're talking about game tactics here. As far as I am aware they have zero synergy with each other other than maybe as a Hammerhal army?

On 8/5/2018 at 11:44 AM, Urza4V said:

I got the KO battleforce with this pirate army plan in mind, or a duardin army eventually. Then I read the rules and got stuck in the strong allies  limitations.

I’m not sure about building a all KO army, ‘cause I’m not a tournament guy and I’d like to differentiate the models I buy

Thanks guys for your feedback

I was typing this whole story about building in increments. As I’m still doing with my daughters of Khaine. Get 800 pts and supplement them with other stuff. Built those allies up to 800 now you can play grand alliance at 1600 or both allegiances at 1000. Get the faction of choice to 1200 Etc. 

Butttt I just realised idoneth can’t ally with kahadron. So that leaves you with little choice. I’d say add 10 arkanauts and another 10 or 3 more skywardens/ endrinriggers and you have 1K so you can play games with them. (Maybe switch some things round so you can add in a khemist) 

then start building 1K of idoneth. Maybe first a 500pts block so you can play 1,5K games as grand alliance. 

The advantage is you can switch around painting different things, you do have allegiance abilities in smaller games (which are great fun, 2K is cool but we usually play 1k or 1,5 K anyway). When you get both to 1K and played some games you can decide yourself if you want to add to one or the other to get a 2K allegiance army.  

Curse this thread. Now I'm imagining sharks pulling airships, KO gunners riding eels, ironclads on the back of turtles, balloon-carried jellyfish, sharknado endless spells, and giant clam airships. And I suddenly crave sushi.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:43 PM, Urza4V said:

Hi guys, 

I’m new to AoS 2.0 and I’m planning a pirate army (Kharadron Overlords & Idoneth Deepkin)

What do you think about losing specific faction abilities for a wider roster and more flexibility?

thanks!

I basicly only think going order is maybe worth it for a model like the hurricanum.. and with it's current point value even that isn't really worth it for the armies with books which get tons of army abilities. I'd sooner pick the Overlords and put some idoneth models on them. Or change the big ship for that turtle by proxying or even converting a bit (putting dwarves on it if you really want it to go both ways).  Anyway ruleswise just play it pure or with allies (which could be proxied too if an ally seems a better alternative for a model you want to use)

Archived