Tournament Realm Rules

4 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

As a thought experiment...  there are 7 realms.  What if each player took it in turn to veto one realm, until 6 had been vetoed and the last one remaining is played upon?

I think this would NOT be good - very quickly we'd all settle for the easiest "no major effect" realm whatever that turns out to be, and there may as well not be any other realms.  Only deliberate sabotage from folks like me (who would veto the "safe" choice first go) would mix it up.

But it was a fun idea for a second. hahahahaha 

How about something on the lines of the old Starseer guessing game.

TO excludes one realm and assigns numbers 1-6 to the ones in play.

Player 1 places a dice out of sight for the realm

Player 2 places a dice out of sight for the feature

Both dice are revealed at the same time. Play the chosen realm + feature.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tokek said:

Actually, that's not bad.  If there's one particular result that would cripple you (6" ranges or no running for example), you could steer either the realm or the feature die away from it.

1 minute ago, tokek said:

That sounds fun, only concern is that if I have endless spells from a particular realm I'll basically always choose that realm.  Arguably a bigger advantage then someone ****** shooting a feature.  It stinks, but I think the "most fair" choice is putting the work on the shoulders of the TO to pre-select the realm and its features when they're choosing battleplans.  I don't know whether or not you should know ahead of time (maybe just what realms/features WON'T show up) or if it should be revealed to the players at the same time the battleplan is.

Just now, relic456 said:

That sounds fun, only concern is that if I have endless spells from a particular realm I'll basically always choose that realm.  Arguably a bigger advantage then someone ****** shooting a feature.  It stinks, but I think the "most fair" choice is putting the work on the shoulders of the TO to pre-select the realm and its features when they're choosing battleplans.  I don't know whether or not you should know ahead of time (maybe just what realms/features WON'T show up) or if it should be revealed to the players at the same time the battleplan is.

Maybe you will. Maybe your opponent will have worked that out from your list and then pick a feature that is to their benefit or a detriment to you. I actually quite like putting the control in the hands of the players as it can become its own game of skill and double-bluff.

Of course you can only assume you will be picking realm half the time, the other half you will be picking feature anyway - so building a list to maximise benefit from a single realm would not work consistently for you. Anyway just an idea that occurred to me.

4 minutes ago, tokek said:

Maybe you will. Maybe your opponent will have worked that out from your list and then pick a feature that is to their benefit or a detriment to you. I actually quite like putting the control in the hands of the players as it can become its own game of skill and double-bluff.

Yup, totally fair.  My knee ****** reaction is that I don't find that very interesting gameplay but I'm starting to think about it a bit more and there could be something to it!  Geminids for example are a real mindf***, if you have them in your list your opponent knows you're probably gonna pick Hysh or Ulgu, but if they pick feature #3 and it's Hysh everyone gets a free teleport but if it's Ulgu attack and spell range is capped at 12".  Wildly different gameplay impacts.

8 minutes ago, tokek said:

Of course you can only assume you will be picking realm half the time, the other half you will be picking feature anyway

And if, say, it was a dice-off (50/50, not with the high roller choosing, but with high roller picking realm and low roller picking feature) every time, there's like a 20% chance of getting 4 or 5 out of 5 going the wrong way.

I'd love to see an event where the TO published the realmscapes in advance, and it was all the #ZOMGNERFBAT ones. There you go, no random weirdness. You know what's coming. Pick your list.

Because someone would have to win that tournament. And it'd be fun watching people explain how they didn't win through skill or a decent list, just pure luck and the realms being in their favour.

The realm rules are a lovely hubris mechanic IMO.

15 hours ago, ianob said:

Randomly choose a realm

Don't use realmscapes

That's as complicated as it really needs to be.

That is an option. In this hypothetical scenario, you have to use the realm rules. We're trying to come up with interesting ways to determine them, or which combination to use them over five or six games.

Just now, AlphaKennyThing said:

That is an option. In this hypothetical scenario, you have to use the realm rules. We're trying to come up with interesting ways to determine them, or which combination to use them over five or six games.

Randomly determining the realm isn’t acceptable for some reason? I mean, we randomly determine battleplans so anything more convoluted than randomising a battleplan too seems like overkill to me 

14 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

I'd love to see an event where the TO published the realmscapes in advance, and it was all the #ZOMGNERFBAT ones. There you go, no random weirdness. You know what's coming. Pick your list.

Because someone would have to win that tournament. And it'd be fun watching people explain how they didn't win through skill or a decent list, just pure luck and the realms being in their favour.

The realm rules are a lovely hubris mechanic IMO.

That would be a tough tournament! No running, next game 6" range, next game 3 monsters eating your heroes. Mental.

1 minute ago, ianob said:

Randomly determining the realm isn’t acceptable for some reason? I mean, we randomly determine battleplans so anything more convoluted than randomising a battleplan too seems like overkill to me 

Aye that's great, but is that including randomly generating realm rules, or chinning them off?

37 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

Aye that's great, but is that including randomly generating realm rules, or chinning them off?

I thought I covered this in my first response haha!

Randomly determined realm, reamscape rules not used. That’s how I think it should work and how I think TOs are most likely to rule it, getting rid of the worst parts (realmscapes) without more significant changes. Oh, and no Ghur ever.

Personally I think that some things need further changes (Hysh command ability, Inferno Blades spell) but I think that’s too much micro-comp and we’d have to hope for an faq on those instead.

Ran a game with the realm rules the other day. Rolled realm of metal, rolled a one on the realmscape. We agreed ahead of time to ignore ghur.

Since there was no realmscape, the game felt pretty much the same, except my skaven army had suddently gained access to 9 new spells and an extra command ability, which was super nice. A taste of how a battletome would feel ;)

I'll continue to play with realm rules to see how extreme it can go, but not having realmscape features felt a bit bland. Maybe that's a good thing.

I like the realm rules because they bring some kind of challange to the game. I understand that very competitive players do not like the realm rules,  ecause it breaks their playstyle. With realm rules, they have to adopt the new rules and have to be flexible. That means also that sometimes the rules are against you, but this is not a certain loss. I think the realm rules are nerving the broken armies which are only strong if using the same strategy. This is also why competitive players don’t like them. What I like about the realm rules is that you have to adopt your playstyle to it and have to build a more balanced army and not focusing on one unit or only shooting or whatever.

Archived