Help me catch up with the state of the game

Urbanus

Hey everyone

I played a lot of Shadespire back when it was the first 4 warbands and had a good time with it. With a bit of luck me and my friends are going to start up a league in a couple of weeks, so I need to catch up!

It seems like objective play is even more "out the window" than when I played? Do anyone still play this way.?

How do the new teams play? I know what GW has told us they are "supposed" to play like, but how do they actually play? Is everyone just aggressive now?

How is the team balance? How much of a top-tier/ bottom-tier situation is going on? The original appeal of the game was supposed to be great balance but it seems like that fell apart with the original four already...

Just finished a summer league at my FLGS. I ran steel heart super defensive turtle deck. Very hard for anyone to score any glory against me. No relics, just lots of defensive objectives.

Went 6-0 and scored 6 glory almost always from 2 cards, Eternals and Complete Victory, plus a few others.

I feel defensive Steelheart is overpowered. Long board placement it’s nearly impossible to beat, and lots of defensive plots can win often on short boards. I feel like GW thought they did in defensive SCE when they went to 2 glory for relics, but relics aren’t necessary.

objectives have a hard time scoring these days with all the objective hate cards. Earthquake, Peal of Thunder, Distraction, Great Concussion (OP), mischievous spirits. 

I feel a lot of people play Aggro because it’s more fun, not because it’s the strongest deck.

41 minutes ago, SeverinsBoyz said:

I feel a lot of people play Aggro because it’s more fun, not because it’s the strongest deck.

Well this at least sounds like good news! What are relics? Is it that set with 5 card that have cumulative effects?

What's a 'league'? How is it different than a tournament?

I used to run BloodBowl leagues, so if there's a way to run leagues with the quicker playing shadespire, that'd be awesome.

(I understand there will be no stat/skill increases like BB)

10 hours ago, Mr. White said:

What's a 'league'? How is it different than a tournament?

I used to run BloodBowl leagues, so if there's a way to run leagues with the quicker playing shadespire, that'd be awesome.

(I understand there will be no stat/skill increases like BB)

As far as I know, there are no official Shadespire league rules. From what I've seen, people have come up with their own rules for running a league, principally as a way of getting players involved in the game. I'd be happy to discuss league ideas, but I ask that you start a new thread for this topic rather than have us clutter up this one.

20 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

As far as I know, there are no official Shadespire league rules. From what I've seen, people have come up with their own rules for running a league, principally as a way of getting players involved in the game. I'd be happy to discuss league ideas, but I ask that you start a new thread for this topic rather than have us clutter up this one.

Pretty much this. We are just going to meet and play 4 on a single "board" and keep score of how much glory is earned across the next 6 months or so

I would have thought objective heavy scaven or skellies (or even reavers) are a pretty harsh counter to defensive stormcast. They can outscore them with passive play (hold X, supremacy, only way out, tac supremacy, confused priorities, shardcaller) and deny things like denial and contained.

I can see that Orruks, Magores, and other pure aggro will struggle against them. I haven't figured out how to beat them yet with Dwarves, though again running high passive scoring on objectives will help.

3 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

I would have thought objective heavy scaven or skellies (or even reavers) are a pretty harsh counter to defensive stormcast. 

Assuming you mean the membered objectives as opposed to the cards, no.

It's far, far too easy to flick one's wrist and undo an entire round of careful objective claiming. Objective play is pretty much a non-starter currently.

I recently started running a lot of objective hate, because most of it doubles as keep away ploys to push back the gurzags and magores of the world. Maybe there just aren't any decent objective players locally.

Great Concussion, Earthquake, Distraction, 2nd Distraction (Stormcast Peal of Thunder), Mischeivous Spirits, etc.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Assuming you mean the membered objectives as opposed to the cards, no.

It's far, far too easy to flick one's wrist and undo an entire round of careful objective claiming. Objective play is pretty much a non-starter currently.

I hear this a lot. Heard it when Earthquake came out. Heard it when Great Concussion came out. Hear me out on the logi?

Cards that push enemy fighters: Earthquake, Great Concussion, Distraction, Fearsome roar (farstriders), horrifying howl (magores), scratching in the shadows (scaven), the earth shakes (chosen axes), deafening bellow (orcs), terrifying screams (guard), peal of thunder (steelheart). So max of 4 depending on faction.

Cards that mess with objectives: confused priorities, mischievous spirits.

On the other hand:

- earthquake, great concussion and mischievous spirits counter earthquake and great concussion.

- The 10+ friendly push cards available across all factions, including the neutral Flickering Step, Sidestep, Inspired Command and Quick Advance also counter anti objective push play.

- forceful denial (for targeted or mass push) and misdirection (for targeted push)

6 cards available to any given deck that ruin objective play. 2 of those cards are pointless against aggro decks (confused priorities and mischievous spirits) and are only likely to be included in objective decks themselves. Great Concussion has synergy with things like Alone in the Darkness, so pops up in nearly every deck. Earthquake also. How much are you honestly going to see the rest when your opponent also has to build against aggro, by far the most common opponent?

I say this as a Dwarf player who NEEDS to be on objectives round 1 to compete with Aggro. I lose more than I win, but it's almost never down to not having 1-2 guys inspired after turn 1 (it's usually my terribad positioning play and inability to play into defensive decks). I have 4 push type cards in my deck that I'm fishing for round 1 to counter the Earthquake/Great Concussion problem.

Is it easy mode? No. Is it as bad as everyone says it is? I really don't think so. Objective Scaven to me are TERRIFYING because if they want to be on 3 objectives, I can't stop them.

TL:DR - there are more friendly pushes available to you than enemy pushes to your opponent. A Hold Objective X/Supremacy/Tactical Supremacy/Only Way Out deck should have enough in there to counter the Earthquake/Great Concussion played by aggro and defensive decks. Also, dem keys.

See: Warhammer World Grand Clash March 1st and 2nd place, ATC Grand Clash July 2nd place on UnderworldsDB

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed, that Dennis reviewed Magore`s Fiends. If you liked the review of the Skaven, this little article might interest you:

https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2018/09/04/review-warhammer-underworlds-shadespire-magores-fiends/

Totally split on those guys. At first I thought "The look like the regular Blood Warriors", but tha cloak on Magore does actually distinguish him quite well. I caught myself even thinking, that I`d prefered the guy wir the bare head to wear a helmet, which would actually make him look even more like the rest. It`s probably just his baldiness...I don`t know why all the demonic head guys have to have a lack of hair...some viking haircut would actually fit them really well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived