Scenery for the Harrowmark, in Shyish

The Charybdis Occulum

Still lots to do, but this is the start of some new scenery for my Orruk Pirates.

Blackrocks is a ruined town in the Voodoo Forests of The Harrowmark that has been partially rebuilt using materials from shipwrecks.

The base models are a Numinous Occulum and an Eternity Stair, with "shipwreck-timber" decks made from Goblin Town platforms. I still have to add some kind of masts, rigging and a lot of nautical detritus.

The first few photos are from about 2 weeks ago:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I've done a bit more work on the Charybdis Occulum since then. It's taking a bit longer than I expected as I keep distracting myself with other projects!

I have to add some more details to the base (mainly shipwreck timbers and some more nautical detritus) but I hope to start painting it soon.

The Storm Bell
I finished this about 4 years ago (it was made for the Storm of Magic as an Arcane Fulcrum) but I never got round to photographing it before I had to pack everything hobby-related into storage (we were going to move house).

As I want it to be part of my Blackrocks scenery set I dug it out of storage so I can use it as a colour reference for all the other rocky scenery. It fits nicely into the whole "skull-carved rocks, ship-wrecks and ruined buildings" vibe I am aiming for.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Red crabs will feature a lot... 

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

11 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

These are awesome. I wondered before the update whether the first part was going to in the water, with the stone spires and walls protruding out. But I guess that would only work on a sea board ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks @Soulsmith! :D

I thought about something a bit like that (as I have the sea matt from Dreadfleet), I may try to make some rocky islands to put the ruins on and link them with wooden walkways. 

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, Ademo said:

Also - have you checked out black scorpion miniatures? Some amazing fantasy pirates at really good prices in my opinion if you arent tied to GW?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have seen them - one of my gaming group uses them a lot. But I enjoy converting GW Orruks and Grots with greenstuff and bits from other kits. ;) 

@WarbossKurgan you are a Hobby Hero. I always feel very inspired by all that you post. Just wanted to let you know your great work is appreciated. 

I also totally wish I thought of this idea :) Not saying I won't pilfer it, either! I'd love to do some Mixed Race Diesel Pirates, with Dwarfs, Skaven and Goblins working in unity.

20170523_221636_zpslirttlrm.jpg

20170523_221615_zps0tafwjpe.jpg

20170524_083114_zpsm4eoqqbv.jpg

20170524_083135_zpsfwjngknn.jpg

This project started as a new "scenery set" for my Pirate Orruks: I had a sort of cliched "tropical desert island" look in mind when I set out.  It was going to be a ruined port town in the Realm of Beasts.

Over the months (and months and months) that have gone by since I started I have changed direction with it, so now it is part of my existing Realm of Death scenery set - a ruin in the dark forests of The Harrowmark, in Shyish.  My Pirate Orruks are going to be sailing flying ships over a malignant forest (a setting that owes everything to John Blanche's recent "Voodoo Forest" illustration project).

This means a much darker and more sinister paint-job was required than I had envisaged originally - lots more washes of Athonian Camoshade and Agrax Earthshade!

It's still WIP as I still have to add the dead grass flock and leaf litter that my other "Wortbad" scenery all has but the painting is complete now.

Looks fantastic, and a much more "complete" feature than the Occulum by itself.

Much as I like the AoS aesthetic I feel a lot of the terrain pieces are somewhat bitty, and very much benefit from a bit of sticking together and embellishment.

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

Looks fantastic, and a much more "complete" feature than the Occulum by itself.

Much as I like the AoS aesthetic I feel a lot of the terrain pieces are somewhat bitty, and very much benefit from a bit of sticking together and embellishment.

Thanks. :D

I agree 100%

All the AoS scenery kits feel like they are component-parts of something bigger and you need to put together at least 2 to make something that looks "right". Which is a shame as other GW scenery kits have felt much more complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackrocks is a ruined and overgrown town in the dark forests of the Harrowmark that has been partially rebuilt using materials from skyship-wrecks.

In an area of Blackrocks that was once known as Stonewarden, in a clearing in the tangled forest, lies the ancient Charybdis Occulum. It is said that a mage that stands within the verdigrised sphere of the Occulum can use it's power to scry across a hundred leagues of the malignant forest and the dangerous skies above it: the mage will be able to see everything in this radius. It is not without risk but with practice and concentration they will be able to locate individual objects of value or people of interest.

~ ~ ~

The Charybdis Occulum is finished:

20170607_133522_zpslit9cwku.jpg

20170607_133528_zpsqgfmacvu.jpg

20170607_133533_zpsc6vobmt7.jpg

20170607_133539_zpsmxbh9pas.jpg

I've added dead grass and fallen leaves to the Hurricane Bell:

20170607_133625_zpszquitamg.jpg

20170607_133622_zpspus2by8x.jpg

These two pieces (and one more I'm still working on) will form the core of Blackrocks, which will be surrounded by the forests I finished last month.

20170607_133658_zpsxn9mvo9e.jpg

20170607_133724_zpswiwzd05s.jpg

Archived