What niches do you feel destruction has trouble filling?

WindstormSCR

10 hours ago, Malakree said:

One thing we are missing is a strong wizard. Whenever it comes to magic we are always choosing between spells or modifiers.

I don't think we have any 3 cast models, our +2 is the weirdnob with 1 cast and our only tanky wizard is the troggoth hag with no modifiers and one spell.

Every other GA gets access to at least one powerful caster, often multiple, which with all the endless spells and faction spell lists leaves us at a much larger disadvantage than it used to.

The Fungoid and Endless Spells have fixed this to a very large extent. Using one or two, I've never felt at a spell-casting disadvantage except against Nagash. 

5 hours ago, EldritchX said:

The Fungoid and Endless Spells have fixed this to a very large extent. Using one or two, I've never felt at a spell-casting disadvantage except against Nagash. 

Tzeentch, slann, nagash, death in general. As an alliance we don't have a similar casting powerhouse.

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Tzeentch, slann, nagash, death in general. As an alliance we don't have a similar casting powerhouse.

True, but I guess I'm looking at it in terms of performance rather than having similar models. A couple of Fungoids with relevant Endless Spells performs largely the same magical stuff that you need. Remember that re-rolling failed casts improves your odds similarly to getting casting bonuses. 

I definitely agree that Destruction was lacking in casting power before the advent of these though. 

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

One thing we are missing is a strong wizard. Whenever it comes to magic we are always choosing between spells or modifiers.

I don't think we have any 3 cast models, our +2 is the weirdnob with 1 cast and our only tanky wizard is the troggoth hag with no modifiers and one spell.

Every other GA gets access to at least one powerful caster, often multiple, which with all the endless spells and faction spell lists leaves us at a much larger disadvantage than it used to.

Hag Queen is a very powerful wizard.

8 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Hag Queen is a very powerful wizard.

The Hag Queen is a very powerful MONSTER with some light wizard abilities.

11 hours ago, EldritchX said:

True, but I guess I'm looking at it in terms of performance rather than having similar models. A couple of Fungoids with relevant Endless Spells performs largely the same magical stuff that you need. Remember that re-rolling failed casts improves your odds similarly to getting casting bonuses. 

I definitely agree that Destruction was lacking in casting power before the advent of these though. 

Getting RR to cast is meaningless if you're slamming your face into +2/+3 unbinds, equally when trying to unbind you are at a significant disadvantage. Plus the fungoid gets one turn of 2 spells with RR, that's not great at all. Sure the Endless spells at tools into our box but it added them into everyone elses as well. Compared to any death list which is not only going to be able to throw out the Endless spells but have a bunch of equivalent level Allegiance spells.

The question isn't whether destruction has some reasonable wizards, we do, the question is do we have any Wizards with both good +cast AND multiple spells. We are lacking the ability to drop a ton of spells onto the board.

As a thought experiment, to prove my point, if you want to drop magic onto the board as a Destruction player how do you do it?

I disintegrate their wizards with Thundertusks and cast with Fungoids :P Most of the time they're so afraid of this that they try to deploy out of range and are unable to unbind as a result. The tournament winning lists for Destruction seem to be basically using Fungoids to good effect also. 

Remember also that Fungoids are really cheap. For 160 points you can throw 4 probably successful attempts at them, which can overload their unbind capacity. In practice it really hasn't been a problem. You should try it. 

Archived