Army Transporting - show/detail yours

So this is a common question that often gets lots of "choose thus brand" or "fishingtackle box" or "I use  a magnetic tray"  etc...

Thing is that often doesn't help; how big a fishingtackle box, what shape, how have you put the models into the dividers. Or for the brand cases what foam setup did you use - what does fit in the case - how much can you carry at once etc...

So this time I want to ask the question and go further; I want to see your boxes/case/trays - see what models you've got in them and see how you layer it up and store them. If you've gone for something like KR Multicase or Battlefoam or GW cases or any other then show what foam layers you've got; detail out what dimensions and numbers (heck if you've got custom trays designed by the likes of BF's custom maker then show them up too). 

The idea here is to really show and share what is possible in storage; not just for a handful but for whole armies and collections. With the maths and product details too it also really helps others make sound choices for their own collection storage. 

And yep whilst I've a selfish need to know about storing/transporting my DoK army, I'm not putting that in the title; cause I hope this can be the kind of thread that can help anyone with their case and transporting needs

I use magnets and a metal toolbox. I have 4 of these for my armies. These magnets are great as they have good hold but aren't as thick as the base so don't quite touch the metal. This is good (especially for spindly Nighthaunt models) since the hold is very strong if they touch the metal. I use a little bit of superglue and that seems to hold just fine. Also, when the magnets touch the metal the magnets come off the base much more often (though they still do once in a while).

One magnet is enough to hold virtually any plastic model on a 50mm base in my experience. Use more magnets as needed. Most models can also stick to the sides and not slide down or fall even when carrying normally.

Tool box its a great fit. The top tray fits most infantry type models that aren't reaching way over their heads. The bottom part is just tall enough to fit a stardrake without touching.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BETIMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RZ82HP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No use the battlefoam 720 back with the magna racks. I can easily fit 2k of DoK in there. I could fit even more of my SCE. I used to have a toolbox but I retired that once I got the magna racks. I don't use foam anymore, magnets are just better. Don't have the pics on me at the moment.

@twrightii @Cinncinnatus have either of you tried or seen a video review of anyone taking one of the magna systems in a case and doing something nuts - like throwing it down stairs or otherwise bashing it around? All the foam reviews I've seen nearly always like to throw that one in to show how secure things are. In general magnetic ones sound like they make a lot of sense, and most of the time a case should never get bashed or thrown around; but the worst does happen. Or someone is going to take a magna system on hold luggage in a plane! 

So any news on if there's any  tests out there that really put it to the challenge (the only ones I can find make a lot of noise about how you can hold things sideways but are more cautious about upside down and I notice they never shake the tables with anything top heavy or big held on there)

I have a Battlefoam with Magna Rack case. It's served me well (so far). I have STILL not found an acceptable way of carrying Nagash though. The rack holds the entire rest of my army VLoZD included with the extenders for the rack. Nagash I just carry in my hands but I've been looking since about April for a way to carry just Nagash in his own skele-pope mobile. Best idea I've heard so far is "this one French player uses a wine case with foam glued in and a metal plate on the bottom." I've still not seen this nor found a wine or whiskey cylinder wide enough for Nagash but I will continue the hunt until I do because it's such a cool idea.

This will become a real problem when I take a plane to NOVA in a month if I've not found a case for Nagash. Unless the airline will let me carry on my army case and just... hold Nagash in my lap. Or maybe magnet him to the airline's food tray.

@Cinncinnatus sorry for the double ping but I just thought - Khinerai. Mine wobble even if I stare at them a bit funny. Have you got standard ones and if so how do they fare in your carry solution? GW has more than just them in the "very fragile" segment of design and they'd be the kind of model that, on a magnetic base, could still come to harm; in fact if the bag jolts and the base doesn't the pressure could snap or damage the tails or get them tangled with their neighbours. 

@Mephistoyour solution is simple - buy Nagash his own chair on the plane

@Overread I mean the Great Necromancer and Supreme Lord of Undead is certainly worthy of his own seat. Were I proper Lich Underling I'd buy him a seat in First Class like he deserves as I ride coach by engines because I'm so unworthy. Of course, I'd like to order a few boxes of Grimghasts (about the cost of a ticket) and other units to increase the glory and breadth of his army so perhaps he'll forgive me this one time.

7 hours ago, Overread said:

@twrightii @Cinncinnatus have either of you tried or seen a video review of anyone taking one of the magna systems in a case and doing something nuts - like throwing it down stairs or otherwise bashing it around? All the foam reviews I've seen nearly always like to throw that one in to show how secure things are. In general magnetic ones sound like they make a lot of sense, and most of the time a case should never get bashed or thrown around; but the worst does happen. Or someone is going to take a magna system on hold luggage in a plane! 

So any news on if there's any  tests out there that really put it to the challenge (the only ones I can find make a lot of noise about how you can hold things sideways but are more cautious about upside down and I notice they never shake the tables with anything top heavy or big held on there)

I’m actually not familiar with the manga system, but I can tell you a big hit like that would certainly dislodge most of models. They can handle mild shaking without issue, even upside down. For normal carry perfect, not sure I’d check it as luggage though lol

I use a conglomeration of different cases in my search for that "perfect" solution.  First up is my A-Case+ from a kickstarter project.  I can fit between 1000 & 1500 points into one case, but it suffers if you have a mixture of tall and short models

A-Case+ System

Next up a cheeky purchase off Amazon is a metal fishing box, you can see Neferata for scale - will accommodate a lot of big models.

DgTru-rWAAIZQrh.jpg:large DgTrvw5WkAAZuvY.jpg:large

I also use KR cases with a baking sheet in the bottom.  Currently I'm hunting for a Battlefoam P.A.C.K. 432 with magna rack as I think this should allow me to fit the entirety of my Legions of Nagash army into one case.

Is Neferata on a 120mm @RuneBrush? I've been looking at a metal box to magnetise my models on to, but I have 5x120mm bases (all tall models really), 25x65mm bases (tall lances) and then about 20 or so 25/32mm bases to try and fit in. Do you think I'd struggle to all that fishing box, even with having them up the sides and so on? 

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

Is Neferata on a 120mm @RuneBrush? I've been looking at a metal box to magnetise my models on to, but I have 5x120mm bases (all tall models really), 25x65mm bases (tall lances) and then about 20 or so 25/32mm bases to try and fit in. Do you think I'd struggle to all that fishing box, even with having them up the sides and so on? 

Yup, she's on a 120x95 I believe.  She fits into that box with a good couple of inches to spare, so you'd not have an issue on height.  25 models on 32's you might have more issue with to be honest as they take up quite a lot of floor space.  Depends on how they tessellate together really.  The only thing I would say is that the blue paint they use is quite smooth, so any heavy models may slide down under their own weight.  Easy solution would be to scuff the paint with sandpaper of glue a sheet of paper to give it a little friction.

This is the box I picked up (I have since defaced the word "fishing") https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075Q2H25M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend of mine who was heavily into photography in his day decided to get rid of some of his old equipment cases and asked if I was interested in getting one of them. Its good size box, about the same size as my KR Case with inbuilt foam lining. I put an aluminium tray with some iron strips to facilitate magnetizing my Kharadron Overlords ships so that I can transport them "Standing" to save up on space. I decided to put on some bumper stickers because as a South Asian man rocking a beard which is a cross between lumberjack-esque and kinda-sorta Mullah-esque , I have been stopped by a few Security personnel from time to time. No shade, I know these are just the times we live in and they were just doing their job but man does it get embarrassing having to explain what Warhammer figures are to normies. 

20180801_210718.jpg

20180801_210731.jpg

20180801_210722.jpg

I'll try and send domes pics of mine.

It's a little time consuming but effective and not difficult.

I have a large tool box

I buy sheets of foam roughly 2" thick which I cut into squares that can be arranged 2 side by side and about 6 high.

I will but either generic slots or model specific once and number them all. The foam slots then come out.of the toolbox and go into a set of.hobby draws. 

I can get about 25 -30 man sized.models on a single sheet.

For anything larger I cut out a few squares so it's just the outline. And stack them. So you have an open space. And place the large models in. I will then scatter/place off cuts to stop them moving/rubbing against each other. 

I have bought two of these and glued a steelplate onto the floor of each storey:
https://www.anndora.de/Werkzeuge/Werkstatteinrichtung/Werkzeugkoffer/anndora-Werkzeugkoffer-31-Liter-Angelkoffer-Etagenkoffer-3-Ebenen-Schwarz-Alu-3-Etagen-Schwarz.html

With magnets the miniatures hold very well and there is enough height for at least a freeguild general on griffon or a Balewind Vortex. The good thing is that you can take as much storeys as you like. For a 1000 point game i usually take only two storeys. For 2000 points i take 3. But i could easly put a forth in there if needed. Very convenient :D

Archived