AoS 2 - Troggoth Discussion

Donal

One important thing to note is that the moonclan shrooms occur before you try to cast the spell.

That means if you fail the roll you can still attempt the spell with a different wizard.

The moonclan shaman is actually a better second wizard than first.

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

One important thing to note is that the moonclan shrooms occur before you try to cast the spell.

That means if you fail the roll you can still attempt the spell with a different wizard.

The moonclan shaman is actually a better second wizard than first.

Agree with this.

I  accept there are valid points to why people  prefer Moonclan.  I think both work and offer solid synergy.

Also worth remembering, you don't  need to take the mushroom (which is definitely valid if it's more important that your shaman moves e.g. for objective grabbing/inspiring presence)

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

@Donal you are right, since you auto fail 16.7% of the time with the Moonclan Shaman that has a big impact. 

Mathematically, the chance of getting a 6+ spell off with the Fungoid (having a reroll) is higher than with a +2 to cast, but auto failing on a 1. 

Where it gets tricky is that the +2 has less chance of getting unbound (and he can eat his mushroom every turn).

Personally I take a Fungoid regularly, because his  double rerollable cast is clutch in that key first or second hero phase. A single Shammy will likely fail you at just that moment over a 5 game event which could cost you a win. 

Getting off Mystic AND a second spell is massive for his points...I also love his Command Ability. 

But in an unbind meta, I could see why people might not write off the classic Shammy. 

I unbind math is tricky...  Think the chance of having a 7+ to cast is same for reroll vs +2? Which is where the 1/6 is significant.

29 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Ya know Troggs suck when a thread starts dedicated to them and everyone only discusses a grot shaman.... heh. 

The troggs themselves are limited optionwise despite how fantastic the hag is. As a result it comes down more to what you put around the troggoth core.

Personally I like the fimir option with bags rather than troggs themselves, I find normal troggoths to be somewhat lacklustre.

As a result the list I'd end up with is probably more like

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Fimirach Noble (140)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
Troggoth Hag (380)
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
3 x Fimir Warriors (140)
3 x Fimir Warriors (140)

Behemoths
Basilisk (160)

Or for more models 

Leaders
Fimirach Noble (140)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

14 minutes ago, Donal said:

@Malakree I still think that fell water, hags and geminids has some legs to it. Throw in a few moonclan grots and it could be a really solid denial list. 

Like your lists though!

Well the rock lobbers and spells were more how do you finish the list off. If you're putting moonclan in I'd potentially drop 6 fimir for a unit of 60 to form a much more solid core.

Leaders
Fimirach Noble (140)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Units
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

So my first attempt to add more Troggoths to my destruction list is dropping a colossal & shackles for 6 fellwater troggoths.
Putting Bellow Tyrant onto the fellwater troggoths. I want to see how they work before adding more to the list. 

If they work I'll prob trim down some grots and add some more.

Troggoth Hag (380)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 194

So, I had no idea the Fimir even existed until today and I really love the model and rules. Been thinking of a reason for buying and using either a Magma Dragon/Dread Maw for awhile and came up with this. Thoughts? I don't care for the hag/shaman being in this list but..Man, she just seems so strong, especially with this magic heavy edition and I feel like I need the unbinds unless I go for maximum destruction with another monster and Noble. Otherwise I would probably add some other monster.

Leaders
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fimirach Noble (140)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Rockeye
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)

Units(Not sure why they don't show as battleline in the builder?)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)
6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

Behemoths
Magma Dragon (540)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

On 8/2/2018 at 12:26 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Sorry @Vasshpit but I'm going to be Captain Obvious and say the current plastic Fellwater kit. 

I think that's head and shoulder above the rest personally.

The Fellwater kit is pretty flexible with a good number of options, which is a huge plus in my book. Think you can build 5 different Troggoths without repeating any parts.

what do people think about the 50mm bases? I based mine on 40s since that is what GW used in the warscroll pictures. I'm torn as to whether I should try to rebase. I think the 40mm looks good as the Fellwater are wide but short.

I have been very keen on this idea of a fimir/troggoth force as well. Currently have the following accumulated with another 12 fimir waiting to be built.

To continue with the "swamp environment" I chose to use the albion fenbeats as my fellwater troggoths. I had converted, minor anyways, will continue to add more details, a treelord ancient to become the Hag. Basically removed the beard and made that a ponytail. Visually it seems to fit in with the fenbeasts quite nicely.

I really liked the idea of the collosal cave squig so the great knarloc will become a "counts as" for the army. 

This thread has been great for trying to figure out which caster fits in. I may also invest in a fungoid cave shaman.

This is my next project though. 

15333906757942060219010.jpg

15333909638541249115807.jpg

Archived