Moonclan 1k list help

Milandro

Hello all here is a 1k list I’ve fully painted. Any thoughts on how it will play and where to go next for 2k?

Plan is to use fanatics to delay a bit and toss spells around as much as possible. Bad moon curses etc.

I haven’t had much AoS experience so it’s mostly theory-hammer

Any feedback appreciated 

Fungoid Cave-Shaman: General (80)

Moonclan Goblin Shaman (80)

Moonclan Grot Spears (130)

- badmoon icon, 3 nets 

Moonclan Grot Bows (130)

- Grot flag

fanatics x3 (100)

fanatics x3 (100)

Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Endless Spell: Spellportal (60)

Max casting 1 spell per turn, so hvaing 3 Moonclan shamans is overkill.

Gargant is fun but doesnt do alot of damage. 

So I'd drop 2 shamans, gargant and spell portal (saving you 380 points). Options then would be:

1- Colossal, geminids & pendulum
2- Beefing out the unit of 20 spears to 40 and adding mangler 

Also you can take both banners in each unit

3 minutes ago, Donal said:

2- Beefing out the unit of 20 spears to 40 

This would be my first suggestion.

There is a lot of fun stuff to play with in Moonclan, but unless you are going all squigs most armies you build will probably have a solid core of big units of grots.  20 Grots can evaporate pretty fast - especially if they get hit by battleshock.  Two units of 40 is a pretty solid foundation to build from.

1 hour ago, Donal said:

Max casting 1 spell per turn, so hvaing 3 Moonclan shamans is overkill.

Gargant is fun but doesnt do alot of damage. 

So I'd drop 2 shamans, gargant and spell portal (saving you 380 points). Options then would be:

1- Colossal, geminids & pendulum
2- Beefing out the unit of 20 spears to 40 and adding mangler 

Also you can take both banners in each unit

Rule of 1 right...

Yeah buffing up the grots units sizes is a high priority. And long term I expect to probably shelf the gargants mostly for Moonclan keyword units

The gargant is fine.  It is a personal preference type of monster.  I quite like them and find that mine gets a lot of work accomplished, but other people have different opinions.

I say that if you have it then use it for a while and decide whether or not you like how he performs.

I would definitely drop the spell portal. It's getting you nothing.

Swap at least one of you moonclan shamans for a second fungoid, they are just better 95% of the time.

Pendulum is a really solid choice given your huge prevalence of wizards, it's a massive threat every turn and can't be turned against you.

I don't like the geminids personally, I can just see them backfiring far harder than anything else.

Consider including 60gitmob with bows and a gitmob shaman, they are one of those surprisingly effective units you will come to love. Not to mention moonclan bows are garbage AND more expensive.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Battleline
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
60 x Gitmob Grots (270)
- Bows & Slashas

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 111

7 hours ago, Milandro said:

Rule of 1 right...

Yeah buffing up the grots units sizes is a high priority. And long term I expect to probably shelf the gargants mostly for Moonclan keyword units

There is no rule of 1 for banners

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The gargant is fine.  It is a personal preference type of monster.  I quite like them and find that mine gets a lot of work accomplished, but other people have different opinions.

I say that if you have it then use it for a while and decide whether or not you like how he performs.

I haven't used mine, but i dont like having 1/2 dice rolls cause its too swingy. Though they are probably better with the "stuff them in me bag" rule.

8 hours ago, Donal said:

I haven't used mine, but i dont like having 1/2 dice rolls cause its too swingy. Though they are probably better with the "stuff them in me bag" rule.

That is fair.  It is a personal thing, but he is not a bad unit for his cost.  On average he punches harder than most other stuff you will find in that price range and he has the same foot-print as a single Gore Grunta.  He also packs a fairly decent amount of wounds.  

He has 2 rather solid attacks that don't really suffer too much from decay.  His high-volume attack ability can be swingy since it is random, and it suffers the most from decay.  But the attack profile for that weapon is pretty solid at 3/3 with -1 rend.  Every attack he has on his profile has rend.  His other negative is that he will fall down, but the amount of charges he fails is only about 10%.  For some people that is a deal-breaker, but if you can get past that I find that the Giant is pretty useful.

My only complaint about the Giant is that there is no way to field an whole army of them.

33 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

His other negative is that he will fall down, but the amount of charges he fails is only about 10%. 

Especially given the new Command Ability to re-roll charges. That's a huge deal for the Gargant.

31 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Especially given the new Command Ability to re-roll charges. That's a huge deal for the Gargant.

It is.  People always like to cite that he falls down 1/6 of the time, but in actuality you would have usually failed some of those charges anyways.  He falls down on doubles, but in most cases you won't make a charge under 5".  Double 1s will fail every charge in the game unless you have some sort of other built-in bonus.  Most of the time you can expect to fail a charge on double 2's also.  Even 6" is a pretty close charge.  If you rule out those results then the amount of charges he fails is less.

But, he is still going to fall down at times - there is no way around it.  It also means that he cannot charge past 11".  This is definitely a negative rule, but I find that it does not really get in the way of using him much.

Archived