The Painting Contract - August 2018

First time I enter something in these contracts but I am pretty happy they exist so I am pushed a bit more to paint what I need to paint. 

Aim:

3 bullgors

1 doombull

Strerch goal:

3 bullgors

Second stretch goal:

3 bullgors

All these minis were from a kickstarter in october and they delivered in may; although basically all of them are still unpainted (zenithal primed but that s it!) 

Still don t know how long it will take for me to do them that s why I divided them into 3 lots. 

Wish me luck and a lot of spare time!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, ok, I find that I work better on a deadline, so I am gonna hop into this one. I got a Narrative Escalation campaign this month, too, so good time to get my poor Death out of unpainted limbo.

I shall pledge my opening warband:

5 Blood Knights

10 "Dire Wolves" (Giant Spider conversion)

1 Vampire Lord

1 Banshee

Stretch Goals: One step at a time... lol

Now I just need to get that blog up and running...

So I missed my goal for last month by getting distracted by some Tree-Revenants and then getting distracted from that by a Tidecaster I'm currently working on (I'll post pictures later).

So for this week I guess my goal for this month is to finish all three projects (each is pretty close) though bases will have to wait again. Additionally I plan on building another unit of eels this weekend to bring the total up to 9 though I may leave the weapons off these ones until I've had some play experience to know which choice to go for.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:47 PM, RantingBob said:

Thank you :) I'm pleased with it.  I did the base for my Knight-Incantor at the same time.

I'm pleased with them both.  Suitably dramatic and...tufty ;)

IMG_1306.jpg

I just painted this guy. I sort of wish I put him on a more scenic base like you have as it feels like all the Sacrosanct chamber, whether a knight incantor or Sequitor, will be indistinguishable at distance, because they're all basically the same armour and cloth combo. I think I need to make the characters stand out more!

So I missed a month due to a bunch of real life stuff, so only just finished my June pledge yesterday. Back to this month and I'll aim to paint:

1 x Knight Incantor

1x Chronmantic Cogs

1 x Malevolent Maelstrom / Quicksilver Swords (depending on what I decide on for my list)

The Chosen Axes (Shadespire)

Stretch:

Finish the Sepulchral Guard (Shadespire)

Here are my Palladors that I didn't finish in June or July's contracts...

2015151518_Palladors02_08_182.jpg.a618984b8d6a187405c48e1293e2d17b.jpg

493958542_Palladors02_08_181.jpg.a913221319ec6deb6b60f46ca00047b0.jpg

964854299_Palladors02_08_183.jpg.4d7e1d7c55a9abc43bad5b5943398267.jpg

7 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I just painted this guy. I sort of wish I put him on a more scenic base like you have as it feels like all the Sacrosanct chamber, whether a knight incantor or Sequitor, will be indistinguishable at distance, because they're all basically the same armour and cloth combo. I think I need to make the characters stand out more!

Yeah, I've taken to putting all my hero's on scenic bases for basically this reason.

With another day off I've managed to finish off Slambo and the second jugger rider, aside from the banner itself. Lots of little bouts of painting in between three skirmish victories!

jugger1.jpg.0dd535bfd313f78a29339cf08ad03328.jpgjugger2.jpg.3854f930b3f132dad2a2d2f224854b24.jpgjugger3.jpg.daad26454781f7790b855f5c31ad0a3e.jpgjugger4.jpg.b7e4ff37cce694f0ec91de507a98e4fd.jpg

Once I've finished the banner my initial pledge will be complete, so I'll likely expand with a 4th Skullcrusher, though it's going to be fairly different in nature...

I'd hoped to be posting this at the end of July, but rather than bump that thread at this stage I'll just sneak across the monthly boundary into August... ?

So mid-July I had one test model done:

On 7/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, Tommy said:

Late pledge alert! Having just abandoned Tzeentch (has Tzeentch abandoned me I wonder...? ?) I've decided to drive hard towards table-ready Deepkin instead, keeping things as quick and simple as possible by relying on coloured primer, basecoats and washes for the most part.

Very happy with this test model for the time put in (just basecoats plus an all-over Coelia Greenshade wash on everything except the skin which got Nihilakh Oxide, both thinned with Lahmian, base is equally simple), let's see where I am in a couple of weeks!

WP_20180714_10_54_43_Pro (3).jpg

And now three weeks later I have 2000 points of Idoneth painted up:

image.png.f7d7dc4334273beace71d6a4430e04f4.png

The overall scheme could have done with a bit more refinement and testing before I jumped in, and I definitely could have taken things further with the painting itself (e.g. any highlights at all!) but as the overall goal was to get a battle-ready force together as quickly as possible I think I can be pretty happy with how things turned out. I'm a pretty slow painter so I'd say this took ~120 hours altogether, but with no real demands on my time at the moment beyond a full-time office job it's amazing how much you can get done when you really focus and keep plugging away instead of faffing around on Netflix and so on.

Seeing the progress people have made in these threads over the past months really helped pump me to do this, so a big thanks to @TheOtherJosh for keeping them going!

My pledge, as it has been since June (!!) is to finish all 15 Drakespawn Knights. That includes basing, basing a Chariot and adding to the bases of some character models I have. 

Stretch would be to actually get some paint on a hydra or dragon. If I don't get this done this month, I never will (off work, school hols!) 

I've picked up an awesome hobby light and sorted storage, so those barriers are gone. 

Anyway, 3 down, 12 to go...

IMG_20180810_233240811.jpg.c242336fa44e6b5ed4451d91da08d5bb.jpg

Knight 1/2 need the highlights doing, Malus, Banner and Knight 5 done bar the bases. The banners I'll do in one go across all of the units. 

Is it possible for me to pledge something absurdly simple, like, "undercoat one model"? I am never going to achieve anything otherwise.

Previous month's pledge was finishing two Deepkin models, I think. Instead, I almost finished one Nighthaunt model. Swings and roundabouts.. ? 

So my August pledge is, again, scaled down. I'm just going to finish my mounted Knight of Shrouds. Anything extra is a stretch goal.

Here he is so far:

WP_20180731_18_01_46_Pro_LI.jpg

Okay.  Update time.

My Lord-Arcanum is done bar some freehand on his book and scroll.
The Sequitors are built, the Quicksilver Swords is built, and the Sequitors bases are in progress.  The plan is to tuft up the bases, then undercoat, and zenithal spray the steel for the Sequitors and quicksilver swords tonight.

If you're wondering, my Lord-Arcanum is kitbashed from:

Gryph Charger of a Lord Aquilor
Chest, arms, and legs of the Lord Exorcist
Staff is a random assortment of bits
Cloak is green stuff (my first ever attempt)

Pictures are attached, but a touch on the dark side.

bases.jpg

la_back.jpg

la_front.jpg

la_right.jpg

la_left.jpg

on_base_2.jpg

on_base_1.jpg

Knew I forgot to do something - finished the banner last week, so here it is -

finished.jpg.1ee17573a67d64149ce2d3c47bd251a2.jpg

Next is likely a slightly bigger centerpiece model, maybe some character-esque figures. I'll have a ponder before expanding the pledge.

Edit: Since I do have some time to paint, I'll expand my pledge with a disc rider and a mildly unusual knight.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:52 PM, Charles said:

More event preparation painting for me!

I am attending the Soul Wars Campaign Weekend at Warhammer World on the 25th & 26th of August so I need to have a Beast ready for battle plan 1 taking place in ghurr.

I will paint 1 SlaughterBrute of Khorne!

Pledge Completed! Can’t wait for next weekends event.

Here is my SlaughterBrute I am really pleased with him.

89600B88-9B0C-46FE-B325-B97ADBB0F5E2.jpeg

Archived