Sell Me Your Faction

Hello guys and galls,

I'm building a Spiderfang force and loving it. The models are great. They are fast and if you manage to get all you buffs in you can have a glorious round of mortal wound out put. More then often, for me anyway, this doesn't happen so I still get to play them without my friends getting to salty. With only 3 units I can see the end of the project. This is a good and a bad thing. I find myself think what army project I mite move on to.

What I'm asking you guys is to tempt me in to start up your favourite army/faction. You don't need to be playing it yourself just sell me on something. This is just for fun.....mostly ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daughters of Khaine!

First up the core troops (witch aelves and sisters of slaughter) are blood crazed fanatical worshippers of the god of murder. Dancing a weaving dance of death on the battlefield with blades, blade edged shields and whips. They are fast and hit hard in combat. Indeed the whole army is very much build around fast mobility and getting into close combat; even the ranged units like being in close combat. 

Then you've got snakes; melusai who can either strike from afar with arrows or the even more deadly sisters who will slide and coil over the battlefield to swipe at the enemies with spears. Plus if you take a mighty Bloodwrack Medusa you can take those spear snakes as battleline - in fact if you want (and someone in the big thread has) you can take a whole army of snake women! 

If that isn't enough there's Khinerai; winged harpies that strike from the skies; either throwing spears that impale their enemies or flying close to slice at them with deadly curved blades. They also deploy off the table os they can swoop down anywhere that they are needed. 

One of their mages is the doomfire warlocks; mounted skirmish cavalry with ranged and close combat attacks that also cast spells. A regular toolbox of options whilst their mounts kick and bite with sharp demonic like teeth at the enemy

Then there are heroes; Hag and Slaughter queens that either run and dance into battle alongside the witches; giving them area and specific battle bonuses to combat. Or they can mount themselves atop a mighty Cauldron of Blood that gives further area combat boosts and thunders into battle as well; atop of which stands a mighty statue of Khaine that can breath out long range bursts of boiling blood when worshiped and animated (you can even take an avatar as a separate model!)

Daughters are all round fast and mobile; they have good synergies between a lot of units so that they back each other up; every round they get a new blood rite bonus that aids their combat effectiveness. Their main weakness is that they lack a real tarpit or defensive unit, though with access to the old Dark Elves factions they can bring in a mighty hydra or other heavier units as an ally if they so wish. Their other weakness is that they are not so tough with ranged attacks; but then again with so much moving fast into close combat its not a huge worry. 

Oh and this is before you try the mighty Morathi; who starts as a normal aelf who then can transform when hurt or at will, into a huge towering winged snake woman. A very powerful mage when she's on two legs and a beast in close combat when she's in her mighty  true form. Able to only take 3 wounds a turn in both forms she's a very multi-roll monster and makes for a very impressive model on the tabletop!

14 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

Great start @Overread I must admit you have got me thinking about an all snake list.

@Vasshpit you can do better than that. There are many cool things about Da Boys. Let me hear your passion.  

The all snake list is mostly snakes with spears, the archery snakes are decent, but are sort of half ranged half close combat skirmishers but not quite good enough at either. Not bad just not the best.

10 minutes ago, Nos said:

Stormcast Eternals

Utter devotion to an autocratic sulking military obsessed moron. Very 2018.

Also, cool masks 

What? What madness is this no no no no no speak his name in jest not for least his taint stains all!

No no this is how you do it

STORMCAST! (ps as I don't own the battletome this is - hazy)

Eternal warriors reforged from the souls of mighty heroes of the past; their souls formed into new bodies of flesh  by the great Sigmar and then dressed in thick golden armour from the blessed realm of Sigmar himself. Warriors sent down from the high heavens to the mortal lands below to bring thunder and lightning and to be the storm that sweeps aside the blight of chaos from the realms. To stand bold and brazen to protect all others; to be the hammer that smites evil at the behest of their god Sigmar. 

From the mighty warriors in thick armour to their bestial mounts; strong gryphons with sharp beak and raking talons; powerful halfbreed dragon cats of pure primal fury; razor beaked stormbirds that dance in the lightning; nobel griff hounds that dart hither and thither and leap upon their enemies with beak and claw. All the way to mythological pegasus with jaws lined with razor sharp teeth; ready to swoop down and trample and gore any that oppose them. 

Sigmar is the army of great men and women of times past; reborn over and over to fight the eternal war against Chaos. The Cornerstone of the Grand Order Alliance; the force that stood once with all others - with Death and Destruction to halt the tide of loss against Chaos; though now only able to draw direct allies with those who have retained a sense of Order in the world.

A faction born of battle, born of struggle and of power. And yet within all that there are the light cracks in their thick armour; the strain and toll of many deaths that harm the soul over the generations; the hint of madness and darkness that lurks within some as they are reformed over and over. A righteous army but not without its flaws. 

Yep I'd say if you want an army that hits hard and has a lot of solid choices then Sigmar works well. Any gap they can fix with allies; they've some of the most dynamic and best mounted unit models in the entire GW range; they've got a lot of power and a lot of options and the new Hammers group even comes with the addition of powerful mages and heroes. 

sSurely you have felt, or at least considered, Slaanesh, the Prince of Pleasure?

She is, after all, the only one who can show you true pleasure. She is the whisper in the dark, the sibilant seduction of sensual sexuality. Why would you go anywhere else when all you need is right here?

Some people gain pleasure from this game from the narrative; they'll find great fun here. She Who Thirsts is absent, and so your army can do anything it wishes. Some are cavorting Invaders, bounding across the mortal realms in a riot of colour, light, and cacophonic sound as all the restraint the Prince brought is removed. Others are Seekers, who lope about with unmatched speed and agility in search of their missing patron, sundering all who stand between them and their beloved Queen of Passion.  The last, including my own, are Pretenders, armies built around the charismatic vanity of a leader who thinks themselves the new God of Pleasure.

One does not serve Slaanesh; rather, one serves oneself, and in the process Slaanesh is pleased. All She wishes is for you to have pleasure, to be happy, to live a life so full of passion that even pain and suffering are but delightful agonies, more sensation to be felt. She asks only that you love yourself, and in return, She expects only that you live life to the fullest. Is that such a burden that you cannot bear it?

I thought Slaanesh was the great Prince of Excess (ergo not exactly female ;) even though current generation warriors for slaanesh are hermapherites). 

Also I'd say hold off on Slaanesh a bit just because there is a very strong chance of a big release coming up. At presents its guessed at being in the Q1 of 2019. Slaanesh is certainly the Chaos god in the most need of some new models; so there's every chance that new stuff is coming (since all 3 other chaos gods have had them).

Skaven

Imagine being one of the glorious chlldren of the Great Horned Rat. Imagine being powerful Warlock that bends reality to his will, imagine sending countless  warriors to war, imagine crushing your enemies with unbelievable contraptions and standing at the top with all of your enemies defeated (or imagine being a lowly slave that is whipped into fray as a cannon fodder or used as a guinea pig by the Warlock Engineer - chances for that are much bigger ;) )

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I thought Slaanesh was the great Prince of Excess (ergo not exactly female ;) even though current generation warriors for slaanesh are hermapherites). 

Slaanesh can be whatever you want it to be. I prefer to think of it as female...

Has anything bad ever happened to you? Maybe you were bullied as a child, spurned by a lover, or had a traumatic experience involving rolling ones? Well the good news is there is a way to deal with your troubles and leave them far behind. What's that? No, no... I don't mean confronting the issues head on and resolving your internal strife. Why I offer the best solution of all... REPRESS THOSE FEELINGS. And where better to spend your time repressing all those painful memories than the deepest darkest trench in the sea? There isn't any hurtful light to make you confront your physical deficiencies, you can't feel pain because it's so cold you can hardly feel anything at all and the only pressure is the crushing weight of the water above.

Meanwhile it's all FUN FUN FUN! There are so many cool pets you can finally have and no one can tell you what to do, an Ochtar makes a good start. He has eight arms to hug you with which is a great way to feel better while REPRESSING your memories of your Daddy trying to kill you BECAUSE OF UNREALISTIC STANDARDS FROM THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO AND A DESTROYED PLANET. Ahem...

It's also a great opportunity to learn about other cultures, we frequently arrange trips all around the world to get the best from all the people of the realms from Nighthaunt to Sylvaneth. You can travel in style on the back of a striped allopex, or in luxury atop a great leviadon. You'll have hundreds of trips to remember and if you're not satisfied well... you can always forget. So if you're like us and filled with deep existential pain as a result of... things we don't talk about in fact forget I mentioned it... actually everything is fine. Well the Deepkin are for you.

25 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Has anything bad ever happened to you? Maybe you were bullied as a child, spurned by a lover, or had a traumatic experience involving rolling ones? Well the good news is there is a way to deal with your troubles and leave them far behind. What's that? No, no... I don't mean confronting the issues head on and resolving your internal strife. Why I offer the best solution of all... REPRESS THOSE FEELINGS. And where better to spend your time repressing all those painful memories than the deepest darkest trench in the sea? There isn't any hurtful light to make you confront your physical deficiencies, you can't feel pain because it's so cold you can hardly feel anything at all and the only pressure is the crushing weight of the water above.

Meanwhile it's all FUN FUN FUN! There are so many cool pets you can finally have and no one can tell you what to do, an Ochtar makes a good start. He has eight arms to hug you with which is a great way to feel better while REPRESSING your memories of your Daddy trying to kill you BECAUSE OF UNREALISTIC STANDARDS FROM THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO AND A DESTROYED PLANET. Ahem...

It's also a great opportunity to learn about other cultures, we frequently arrange trips all around the world to get the best from all the people of the realms from Nighthaunt to Sylvaneth. You can travel in style on the back of a striped allopex, or in luxury atop a great leviadon. You'll have hundreds of trips to remember and if you're not satisfied well... you can always forget. So if you're like us and filled with deep existential pain as a result of... things we don't talk about in fact forget I mentioned it... actually everything is fine. Well the Deepkin are for you.

Just great. Thank you ☺️ 

Do you love life? Like really really like life? Even smelly life? Even diseased life?
When you see a dead animal full of maggots and flies, do you think "Look at all the life there is!"
Do you like gardening?
Do you need a father figure?

And do you like just pointing to enemy units on the table and saying "D3 mortal wounds on them"? Then Nurgle is for you!!!

Ever wondered what it would be like to solve every problem with pure, unadultered aggression and violence? Ever wanted to throw tactics out the window and pile your army across the board into the terrified ranks of the foe, and smash them to bits? Then send the same army walking amongst the corpses to stand on objectives?

If so, then you need the WAAAAAGH! of the Ironjawz. Be liberated by the beautiful simplicity of brutal, unapologetic destruction of everyone and everything your enemies hold dear.

Take to the field with the Brutes of the Ironjawz, some of the most potent close-combat killers point for point in the game. Smash, bash, and cleave your way through your enemies - for if you wipe out an enemy unit with one of yours, you can pick another unit of your own to immediately pile in and attack!

If Brutes alone aren't enough, stick them on top of Gore-Gruntas to get them into a scrap in even more violent fashion. Give them a run up to the enemy and watch the combat phase light up like the Castle Bravo test!

If you need even more stopping power, equip yourself with a Megaboss on foot. Arguably the strongest melee hero that isn't 20ft tall, the Megaboss can put out a staggering number of wounds in one turn, with my record being 20 Bleakswords by the time the battleshock phase was over. 

If all that's not enough, grow your own vegetable patch. What's that? You got it! Mount your footboss on a giant creature that vaguely resembles an unprepared cabbage and you have combat effectiveness that puts the bae in behemoth. Going by names such as 'The Flying Scotsman', 'Battle-Cabbage', 'Hope You Didn't Like That Stardrake Anyway' and 'Maw-Krusha? Pff, More Crusher!', the Megaboss on Maw Krusha is the choice of the battlefield psychopath.

There's some magic too, but that's not important compared to the FIGGGGHHHTT!

My top 3 favorite factions...

Dispossessed

What’s not to love about the classic angry bearded short men? My all time favorite faction, I like them because how stubborn they are and how simple their army is, no need for magical beasts or magic, that stuff is for men and elves. All we need are the power of the ancestor gods and a really big axe!

Skaven

I also quite like the ratmen, they are classic in their own right and have some amazing contraptions and creations,  like the doom wheel, warp lightning cannons, and stormfiends. I also suspect them to receive a LoN type army book somewhat soon, which should unite all the Skaven factions. In the meantime though sending hordes of clanrats into the enemies lines and then shooting at them from relative safety is awesome.

Seraphon

Since I was a kid I had always loved Jurassic park, so it was natural that I would play the lizard boys. Dinos riding dinos, what is not to love? They have monsters for days, and some pretty solid infantry, with a decent Air Force as well, they also have some of the best magic in the game, and definitely the best summoning imo. This will likely get nerfed though with the Engine of the Gods. The Dinos have one of the most flexible armies due to the amount of units they contain.

27 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

Ever wondered what it would be like to solve every problem with pure, unadultered aggression and violence? Ever wanted to throw tactics out the window and pile your army across the board into the terrified ranks of the foe, and smash them to bits? Then send the same army walking amongst the corpses to stand on objectives?

If so, then you need the WAAAAAGH! of the Ironjawz. Be liberated by the beautiful simplicity of brutal, unapologetic destruction of everyone and everything your enemies hold dear.

Take to the field with the Brutes of the Ironjawz, some of the most potent close-combat killers point for point in the game. Smash, bash, and cleave your way through your enemies - for if you wipe out an enemy unit with one of yours, you can pick another unit of your own to immediately pile in and attack!

If Brutes alone aren't enough, stick them on top of Gore-Gruntas to get them into a scrap in even more violent fashion. Give them a run up to the enemy and watch the combat phase light up like the Castle Bravo test!

If you need even more stopping power, equip yourself with a Megaboss on foot. Arguably the strongest melee hero that isn't 20ft tall, the Megaboss can put out a staggering number of wounds in one turn, with my record being 20 Bleakswords by the time the battleshock phase was over. 

If all that's not enough, grow your own vegetable patch. What's that? You got it! Mount your footboss on a giant creature that vaguely resembles an unprepared cabbage and you have combat effectiveness that puts the bae in behemoth. Going by names such as 'The Flying Scotsman', 'Battle-Cabbage', 'Hope You Didn't Like That Stardrake Anyway' and 'Maw-Krusha? Pff, More Crusher!', the Megaboss on Maw Krusha is the choice of the battlefield psychopath.

There's some magic too, but that's not important compared to the FIGGGGHHHTT!

Good to see Destruction getting a good showing WAARRRGGG!

2 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

This is all great guys. Really enjoying it but these are all the big guys and new hottness. Doesn’t anyone want to champion the little guys? 

I Shall Champion them!!!!

actually, if your first army is Spiderfang Grots, why move to another army? I understand that they only have 3 different units, but since they do not have any actual Alliance traits and artefacts, why not run a pure destruction list with the Spiders as a theme?

Don’t know if you like conversions or if your adversaries are keen to “count as” units (mine are!), but using your imagination you can do wonders!

use the webflinger that comes with the aracnarok and do a Gitmob Rock lobber! Or two, even better!

silvertower grot skuttlings can be used as bow gitmob grots, and can be found cheap on ebay and bitz sites...

With some spidery bitz you can convert an aleguzzler gargant too, maybe even giving him another pair of arms if you think yourself adventurous.

and the Bonesplitters have a similar “forest goblin” look and feel, can be used too...

trust this helps... ? And if not, go Beastclaw Raiders! Big, fat ogres riding big wolly monsters, eating everything on their path... what not to love? ???

cheers

AJ

If you like the glass cannon aspect of spider fang but would like to have a little more staying power, Blades of Khorne is great. Blood tithe points let you progress towards summoned units (usually like a 20 man bloodletter squad or an actual bloodthirster) for both killing units and for having your units killed! Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows; only that it flows! You can do mortals, daemons, or any mix of both! It really is beautiful (in a horrifyingly gory kind of way)

Archived