2500 points Iron Strike - Big G in a Big Batallion!

PlasticCraic

So our club champs this year are 2500 points, which presents a unique opportunity to use Big G in a one-drop battalion and unleash utter havoc.  Giving the extra Gordrakk attacks and 3D6 to charge to your whole army (plus secondary and tertiary Waaaghs! from the MBMK, and extra movement from the Batallions and Cogs), you can build a true Iron Strike!

House Rules for this one are that there are no Realmscape Features but you get access to the Spell Lore of your Home Realm (so if you take Ulgu for example, your wizards can know a Spell from Ulgu, as well as your heroes being able to pick from their Artefacts).

This provides a lot of opportunity for finesse!  It feels great for Ironjawz to have a proper toolkit to work with.

I do think one unit of Ardboyz is close to essential, to give bodies for the initial casting bonus and then to get the +6” charge and burst through the gaps created by the double Krushas in the charge phase (thanks to @malakree for that piece of tech!)

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 options, Ulgu and Hyish.

Benefits of Ulgu are:

-          Access to Sword of Judgment for the sweeeet combo with the Warchanter

-          Access to rend -3 weapon for further krumpin’

-          The Bridge of Shadows for Deep Striking fun

Bridge of Shadows is particularly interesting, because it lets you get a unit of Brutes or your Sword of Judgment wielder into the backfield.  With 3D6 + 2” on the charge (and a cheeky hero phase move in the case of the Brutes) you have a great chance of getting into the targets they thought were safe behind their screen. 

The “tax” is that you need a second caster (Cogs + Bridge) and I’m struggling to make it work without resorting to a Fungoid, and therefore going 2-drop.  But on the upside you could use his 2nd spell (3rd overall) to go for the 5+ ignore on one of the Big Fellas.

Benefits of Hyish are:

-          Banishment

-          Aetherquartz Brooch

Both of these speak for themselves!  You have less access to extreme rend / mortal wounds, so you might bounce against a list with multiple Stardrakes for example, but then that’s what Banishment is for.

Please take a look at my early draft lists, and let me know your thoughts…with the 2x Batallions, 2x Krushas and 5x Battleline requirements, there are a lot of decisions to make over a relatively small number of slots and points in the army!

Draft Ulgu List:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (120)
Ironfist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2500 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 80 / 500
Wounds: 131

Draft Hyish List

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (120)
Ironfist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2500 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 500
Wounds: 127

This is cool that you can try out some things not normally possible.

I am wondering if the best option might be to go all in on the stampede.

Go with 2 maw Krushas and gordrak and 5 units of gruntas or swap 1 out brutes. If the opponent moves forward take the turn 1 charge, otherwise be cagey for a turn and crush them turn 2. Imagine 3 maw krushas hitting turn 2 with between 5-8 additional attacks. 

It would hit like a train, sadly wastes an artifact but would compensate with speed and awesomeness.

Archived