Hammerhal - Still a thing, or even still worth it?

Tooooon

So with 2.0 I've scoured around for information on the different cities, with only Firestorm returning any concrete tactics or information.

My friend wishes to start a Free Guild army, and he's one of the most frugal people I've ever met - So to that end, the Hammerhal box seemed perfect, especially as Stormcast can be nabbed pretty cheap to give a points boost if required, and still fulfilling a good chunk of Free Guild models.

So I guess my simple question is, does use Hammerhal at all, or give it a second look when making an army? If so, what lists you rocking!

I play pretty small games but I've been doing starter set (both old and new) stormcast plus extra battlemages and war priests.  I'm building my first unit of 20 Irondrakes to get the dorf side of things happening.

Hammerhal itself is the easiest one to qualify for as all you need to do is not have lizards hanging around.

46 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

I play pretty small games but I've been doing starter set (both old and new) stormcast plus extra battlemages and war priests.  I'm building my first unit of 20 Irondrakes to get the dorf side of things happening.

Hammerhal itself is the easiest one to qualify for as all you need to do is not have lizards hanging around.

I think it should not be compatible with all realm artifacts though.

Well, it depends.  You're free to make up your own free city and then say what realm it is from and use Hammerhal's rules as long as the paint scheme wouldn't confuse anyone (paint them up as one city and use another).  Or if you paint them up in Hammerhal colours then you should probably limit yourself to Ghyran and Aqshy.

12 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

Well, it depends.  You're free to make up your own free city and then say what realm it is from and use Hammerhal's rules as long as the paint scheme wouldn't confuse anyone (paint them up as one city and use another).  Or if you paint them up in Hammerhal colours then you should probably limit yourself to Ghyran and Aqshy.

I know that I definitely know very well the paint scheme of Hammerhal on sight, and would be confused into insensibility by deviations.

That is a lie - nobody knows the Hammerhal colours by sight.  Or any other faction outside the top 3 or 4 Stormhosts.  I've got a Kharadron Overlords army and I can juuuust barely recognize my own skyport's colours by sight.  I don't even remember all the *names* of the other skyports, let alone their colours.  Hahahahahahahaha

18 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I know that I definitely know very well the paint scheme of Hammerhal on sight, and would be confused into insensibility by deviations.

That is a lie - nobody knows the Hammerhal colours by sight.  Or any other faction outside the top 3 or 4 Stormhosts.  I've got a Kharadron Overlords army and I can juuuust barely recognize my own skyport's colours by sight.  I don't even remember all the *names* of the other skyports, let alone their colours.  Hahahahahahahaha

I recognize Barak-Nar, Barak-Zilfin because they are the poster boys and Barak-Thyrng because its unique but thats it. Idoneth Deepkin Enclaves or Daughters of Khaine temples? No idea. I just now learned that the Free Cities have a set color scheme!

16 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Yeah, GW has (rightly) made it pretty clear that you can paint your army whatever color you want and it won't have any effect on the rules.  My Stormcast army is hammers of sigmar colors, but I play them as whatever Stormhost I wish.

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Tooooon said:

So with 2.0 I've scoured around for information on the different cities, with only Firestorm returning any concrete tactics or information.

My friend wishes to start a Free Guild army, and he's one of the most frugal people I've ever met - So to that end, the Hammerhal box seemed perfect, especially as Stormcast can be nabbed pretty cheap to give a points boost if required, and still fulfilling a good chunk of Free Guild models.

So I guess my simple question is, does use Hammerhal at all, or give it a second look when making an army? If so, what lists you rocking!

For the box set, it is great if you want to start a Freeguild heavy mixed Order army. If you want PURE Free Guild it loses a bit of luster, as Liberators are not the kind if units you'd spend ally points on. But given no Free Guild start collecting, it would be an om purchase regardless. Save you a bit on round bases over the regular boxes (sadly. No idea why square bases are still sold at all...)

For the Firestorm allegiances, there is a thread on this forum that can help. It may be a page or 2 back, called Let's Chat Firestorm Free Cities. Firestorm is a great little addition to Mixed Order lists.

Archived