Any Generals Handbook clarifications?

Ben

2 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I would expect most tournaments to rule that Glorious Victory and Sudden Death rules do not apply.

I sent a lengthy email into the Warhammer Events team today asking them to clarify before the event what actually can be done to achieve a major victory in a game. Also to make sure they don't allow Sudden Death to be used, as currently its possible to 100% auto win your game, without your opponent having a turn, in under 30 seconds and there is no counter play...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sent a lengthy email into the Warhammer Events team today asking them to clarify before the event what actually can be done to achieve a major victory in a game. Also to make sure they don't allow Sudden Death to be used, as currently its possible to 100% auto win your game, without your opponent having a turn, in under 30 seconds and there is no counter play...

Yeah I imagine that wouldn't be fun for anyone involved.

Just make a model thin list. MOst likely with expensive artilery, monster, and shooting. Then kill an enemy character or small unit of 5 or more, and call it a day. 

Though i do think this would be very difficult to accomplish, it wouldn't be impossible either.  Goblins could probably do it with spear 4 spear chuckas, and then battle line up with ogres or something. It really depends on both armies. 

Yeah I suppose.  Play Dispossessed (#legacyIN), throw out an engineer and 4 grudge throwers behind some terrain, let 'er rip on T1, win Sudden Death probably.  It's a Very Likely Win, but not an Auto Win.  To me, Auto Win is a battleplan with a victory condition such as "you win a Major Victory if your opponent fails to stand a model with the Keyword Priest on this spot by turn 4" and your opponent doesn't have a model with Keyword Priest.  THAT's an Auto Win.

New question:

As written, once you've made your army roster noting your units with sizes and options, army general and allegiance, you cannot change any of this. 

So for a six game tournament when you submit your list beforehand this means you cannot choose a different general each game or deploy your units in different sizes. You also cannot change reinforcement points between games. 

Is this what is intended? 

On 7/25/2016 at 4:18 PM, Nico said:

One way of perhaps resolving the 6 month old tree debate is to note that we measure to base and so if the base would fit, them the model can fit. You could swap in an empty base for a model. Then the base would just have to navigate the trunks.

Is it ever permissible to remove a model for these sorts of reasons, though, even if you are playing base to base?  Just because a group may house rule that you measure ranges base to base doesn't mean you have ruled that the models are meaningless. They still have height for things like Line of Sight, so why would they not still have height for overhanging tree limbs or tops of archways and the like?

This makes me sad. 

I guess I can see the reasoning but I don't like the fact that you could wipe your opponents army out but if they scored higher, they can still win. I've found a couple of the scoring games come down to who goes first, not to mention that a lot of the older armies can't begin to compete in the scoring game with some of the newer armies with their teleporting shenanigans. 

Glad to see no triumphs and sudden death but wiping your opponent out (or trying not to be wiped) for the last ditch win has led to some of the most exciting and immersive games in my almost 30 years of gaming. 

maybe it's just me. 

43 minutes ago, Jamie Ferguson said:

This makes me sad. 

I guess I can see the reasoning but I don't like the fact that you could wipe your opponents army out but if they scored higher, they can still win. I've found a couple of the scoring games come down to who goes first, not to mention that a lot of the older armies can't begin to compete in the scoring game with some of the newer armies with their teleporting shenanigans. 

Glad to see no triumphs and sudden death but wiping your opponent out (or trying not to be wiped) for the last ditch win has led to some of the most exciting and immersive games in my almost 30 years of gaming. 

maybe it's just me. 

You make some good point and I can see it both ways, but remember the person who goes second will eventually get a double turn.  I like that it encourages playing to the scenario as well instead of the people who will just take the hardest list possible to try for a wipe instead.  Not that I find that very likely these days, but you never know, I guess.

I'd have to say i also like no table. It doesn't rule out tabling as a good way to get to a win by any means.

It can be quite easy to table a great many list. I usualy get it done by turn 3??? But having to keep an eye on your points is pretty cool.  It make it so you need to keep your foot in the point door to table if that's your goal, otherwise points will crush you.

Plus it makes games not so rock-paper-scissory. If you come up against a list you can't beat in a fight, ignore them and desperately try to grab objectives. 

I had a nice reply from the organiser of the Warlords event after I emailed in regarding the Sudden Death auto win shenanigans and they agreed its not what they intended and have removed it for the event.

They also confirmed that Wiping out your opponent doesn't end the game and you play out all the remaining turns to maximise your win potential. e.g if you wipe them out turn 3 you can still play your turn 4 and 5 to move onto any objectives to score a bigger win, from minor to major etc.

Archived