AoS 2 2000pt list: Brayherd w/ Thunderscorn allies

Fazhak

Hello all! I'm a returning player who used to play Beastmen back in the World-That-Was days. Glad to see so many of the old Herdstone forum community here on TGA.

Real life tumbled in during the game's End Times, so I've been away from the hobby for most of the intervening years. However, I've been getting back into the game and have really enjoyed playing my Brayherd armies. With the new edition and GH2018 books, I figured I'd try to contribute to the online conversation, too.

Here's what I'm playing these days. I very much look forward to the constructive critiques and conversation!

2000 points, Brayherd Allegiance, Realm of Light

BRAYHERD HEROS (480pts)

#1 Beastlord (general)

- Brayshield

- Command Trait: Bestial Cunning

#2 Beastlord

- Man-render Axe

- Brayherd Artefact: Herdstone Axe

#1 Great Bray-Shaman

#2 Great Bray-Shaman

#3 Great Bray-Shaman

BRAYHERD UNITS (1240pts)

#1 Bestigor x30

#2 Bestigor x30

Ungor Raiders x20

#1 Tuskgor Chariots x4

#2 Tuskgor Chariots x4

ALLIED UNITS (280pts)

Dragon Ogors x6

Deployment

With AoS being such an objective-focused game, and Brayherd needing to play to the objectives (versus other factions which can better lean towards massacre), I find this list lets me go for available middle-of-board objectives early, sit on them with my big units, and use my chariots to hammer opposing forces locked in combat at those points. As such, my usual deployment consists of placing the Bestigors on each flank with Dragon Ogors in the middle, flanked by my general and bray-shaman. I typically hold my chariots and raiders in ambush, along with my Herdstone Axe-wielding Beastlord. This deployment allows me to move forward my three big units on the first turn (remember to factor in the movement bonus provided by the shaman), while positioning my Herdstone Axe-wielding Beastlord and raiders for first turn ambush. My general's command trait allows me to decide whether to bring the chariots in on first turn or second turn, depending on how the board looks at the time.

Notes

* Most of this list has at least a 4+ save (everything except the shaman and raiders), which I find my opponents don't usually expect from Brayherd lists. While this army list should still be played as a Brayherd list (expect mass casualties), its resilience is surprising and often an asset. Also note that the majority of the list has at least a -1 Rend characteristic. Not extraordinary (especially against factions like Seraphon), but often still helpful.

* Dragon Ogors are not meant to be substantively "killy". The Bestigors and charging chariots fill that role, which is why I didn't go for Warherd allies. Rather, Thunderscorn have tremendous staying power, at least compared to other options in the "Beasts of Chaos" cluster of factions (Brayherds, Warherds, Thunderscorn, Chaos Gargants, Monsters of Chaos), and can dependably grind away opposing units. Having three Bray-Shaman means that I'm often casting two spells prior to Summon Lightning, which heals my Dragon Ogors and buffs their wound rolls. This is why I run my Dragon Ogors as one big unit, rather than two teams of three each; I want to maximize the heal and buff potential of that spell.

* I like the options Bestial Cunning offers me as a command trait. Nonetheless, I am thinking about swapping it out for Malevolent Despoiler. The latter might not be nearly as useful as other options, but it is very, very flavorful and potentially more fun. Also, not many other factions have that kind of counter-cover option.

* Brayherds retain the weaknesses of Warhammer Fantasy's Beastmen, meaning that this list remains challenged by shooty armies and high armor save armies. However, as was the case given my experiences playing "smashmouth" style Beastmen in Fantasy, I find this list catches opponents unprepared. Most seem to expect a rather glass-cannon horde. What this list does is either (1) run to objectives and grind opponents away, or (2) run right at opposing forces and converge multiple of my own units on particular units of my opponent, smashing them before the opponent can maneuver. Again, ideally, the Dragon Ogors provide a solid stalling unit to position between the remainder of an opponent's forces and the specific unit(s) my Bestigors and chariots then isolate and destroy.

* Is the ambushing Herdstone Axe-wielding Beastlord technically better than one equipped with  either the Brayblast Trumpet or Rune of the Insatiable Beast? Probably not, especially given the deployment outlined above. Given feedback, I might very well swap to one of those alternatives. Likewise, should Brayherd ever receive a battalion that was both fully useful and did not require one's entire army to be built around its requirements, I'd likely swap the Herdstone Axe to my general and give the ambushing Beastlord one of the above. However, (1) having a -2 Rend, 3 Damage hero is helpful for targeting opponent's supporting heroes (necromancers, heralds, wizards, etc.) and (2) it is really, really, really fun to have what amounts to a 90pt, 4+ save bomb that I can just throw at something. Don't forget the Beastlord's "Hatred of Heroes" rule! It makes a fun time even more enjoyable.

* Three Bray-Shaman are pretty good magical defense. Not the best, but still rather strong. Further, deployed prudently, their speed buffs are very potent.

* I like the Realm of Light. Fluff/storywise, I went for a snow theme for my army, with the notion being that they are from a mountainous waste in Hysh, where there are no shadows within which to hide, and reflection from the icy snow blinds those who are hunted in the perpetual daylight by beasts who cannot sleep. In terms of mechanics, the Realm of Light does me fine... only a roll of 4 on the Realmscape Features table does me poorly. For this list, the Command Ability for Hysh is great, as is Hysh's additional spell.

* When I go from 2000pt to 2500pt, I tend to add a Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (bringing my allies point total up to 440pts), another Great Bray-Shaman, a unit of Gor x30, and the Endless Spell "Prismatic Palisade"). The Shaggoth isn't necessarily the best expenditure of points... but it is a lot of fun to play with at 2500pts and seems appropriate to my army's themes. Save that additional Bray-Shaman for ambushing and position it to cast Prismatic Palisade to either mess with opponent's shooting (by blocking line of sight) or simply to give opposing units the spell's debuff. Either is great.

So, that's what I'm using presently. Hope it helps! I look forward to the comments, concerns, critiques, and conversation!

Any thoughts from the old Herdstone players who've migrated to this forum? Anyone else? By the way, the Dragon Ogors use Draconic War-glaives, sticking with the -1 Rend trend common throughout this list. I find such is usually simpler and likely as helpful as other options.

I like the concept of a heavy armour beasts list.  I think you're right that it's going to catch some people off guard.

My beastmen are only a skirmish force of around 600 points or so.  I can't really offer any insight into them at the 2000 point level.

21 hours ago, Fazhak said:

* I like the Realm of Light. Fluff/storywise, I went for a snow theme for my army, with the notion being that they are from a mountainous waste in Hysh, where there are no shadows within which to hide, and reflection from the icy snow blinds those who are hunted in the perpetual daylight by beasts who cannot sleep. In terms of mechanics, the Realm of Light does me fine... only a roll of 4 on the Realmscape Features table does me poorly. For this list, the Command Ability for Hysh is great, as is Hysh's additional spell.

That's cool.  And as well when you play in Hysh you could have transparent crystal herd stones.  I think there are cheap LED crystal lamps available on amazon or ebay or whatever.  Not sure about the right size though.

I'll hope to get pics at the next big game I play. I went with a pale look for my figs, with splotches of blood and gore, on their weapons and faces, as if they've recently feasted in the snowy wastes.

As for the game itself, I tend to use chariots from ambush. The reroll for charges ends up with that decision making the most sense, given the 9" distance required by ambush. With two big units of chariots, I usually have four chances from ambush to get a pretty tough unit into combat with a critical opposing force.

The 4+ save, multiple attacks at -1 Rend, all with 8"+ movement seems to take folk by surprise. Warherds, maybe with Gor or Ungor support, seems to be what is expected from Beasts of Chaos factions, resulting in opponents thinking such armies are glass cannons.

This list, especially with the Bestigors and Thunderscorn supporting one another, is a beast of a different color, one which can rush to combat and stay there regardless of which force charged first.

Does that help address some of the questions? Any other thoughts?

A pretty fast list ??

My experience with Raiders Is they are not realy good. Ok, 80p. for 10 are not too expensive but I think Gors do the job better.

I dont have any experience with chariots and looking forward to hear if they are worth it?

19 hours ago, Drazhoath said:

A pretty fast list ??

My experience with Raiders Is they are not realy good. Ok, 80p. for 10 are not too expensive but I think Gors do the job better.

I dont have any experience with chariots and looking forward to hear if they are worth it?

I find Ungor Raiders to be really nice choice to round out a force and have an insanely pushed forward screen to stop enemies from attacking/charging units you don't want charged (Chariots ect) and still doing damage whilst running forward.

80 pts you're getting 10 4+/4+ - 1 shots, not great but then they move 6" after set up (before anythign else moves!) They get +1" to run rolls, may Run and Shoot all whilst being cheap.

I use them as incredibly cheap and annoying chaff which out speeds most things whilst tying up the opponents support units.

My first experience with Raiders I put some critical wounds (again you never REALLY kill with raiders) on a Grimwarth Berserker taking him out of the equation (plus arcane bolt and something else I killed him turn one basically).  They have been my MVP ever since every single time I played them. I am planning 1x20 in my Wildstalker list; I don't really care about their shooting, if they put some wounds during the match is good but if not as it has been said they can shut down a couple of lists that if not will be in your face turn one and on important units (Ironjaws pigs, double-whipped Bloodletters, etc...). You just place them in front of them after deployment.

2 hours ago, Girgutz StormStompa said:

but then they move 6" after set up

And I think they nerfed them because I remember them moving "up to 12" from the opponent's units" so they are a little less effective from that point of view but sill shutting down a couple of turn one combos.

Archived