Restrictions for a small Tournament

2 hours ago, Retro said:

Have you considered maybe changing it to "every unit only once, except battleline" then putting a cap on total points spent on a single unit type? 

Maybe 500 points?

Well I also want people (like Stormcast) not to spam their better conditional battleline Version only. Also you could not prevent s.o. From spamming Witch Elves since they‘re dirt cheap (270 points for 30).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

=D
I am just generally of the opinion that GW Games in a comp. environment are as unfun and unbalanced as it can get =D
That's why it's more of a narrative event.

To be clear, you aren't fixing the competitive environment, you are are moving the goalposts. Even with your restrictions, I could easily come up with a list that would spike any other army at that event that your comp missed.  That is, you haven't fixed anything; you've simply changed what builds are king in the new world you've created. 

The competitive meta is incredibly diverse right now, as attested by the CanCon results. I think it is foolish or ignorant to suggest that the meta is currently "unbalanced." The entire comp smacks of holdover biases from prior editions of warhammer and has no foundation in the current reality of the game. 

That said, it is your event and you make the rules.  If your people are ok playing by them, then more power to you. They just need to understand that your events are not reflective of the larger national and international event scenes.

22 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

That said, it is your event and you make the rules.  If your people are ok playing by them, then more power to you. They just need to understand that your events are not reflective of the larger national and international event scenes.

It‘s never claimed that that was the case.

Let me rephrase that: GW’s big Games in general are poorly balanced.

Yes I am changing the „Meta“ which is just as unimportant as anything could ever be. 

I am trying to fix boredom of repetitive lists so everyone can have a good time gameplay-wise and visually. I do so by making most netlists illegal. If you are a good general you can also handle these restrictions. Better even, it encourages you to use a wider range of your factions models!

“I could  easily come up with a list that would spike any other army at that event that your comp missed.“ 

Congratz, your list won, not you and you wasted several hours of possible fun and thrill of your opponents. that‘s exactly the attitude I highly dislike. But at least you had fun.

for most people round here a tournament is an opportunity to play and even practice. 

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am trying to fix boredom of repetitive lists so everyone can have a good time gameplay-wise and visually. I do so by making most netlists illegal. If you are a good general you can also handle these restrictions. Better even, it encourages you to use a wider range of your factions models!

My concern is that you are making the armies people have collected unplayable since they my not have enough of what is needed to field the force. Or, you're making some forces like Everchosen completely unplayable. It seems you are raising the barrier to entry for players getting into the game since they may find that whatever force they've assemble is unplayable in your comp.  I'm against anything that marginalizes folks within the community.

Congratz, your list won, not you and you wasted several hours of possible fun and thrill of your opponents. that‘s exactly the attitude I highly dislike. But at least you had fun.

This comp won't keep players with this attitude from playing, that is my point. It just moves the goalpost for them.  They'll still be selfish in any comp you create.

for most people round here a tournament is an opportunity to play and even practice. 

An opportunity I understand, but "practice" I do not.  Practice for what?  If it for larger national and international events, then it seems you are setting them up with false expectations for how they'll perform in that environment. 

13 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

My concern is that you are making the armies people have collected unplayable since they my not have enough of what is needed to field the force. Or, you're making some forces like Everchosen completely unplayable. It seems you are raising the barrier to entry for players getting into the game since they may find that whatever force they've assemble is unplayable in your comp.  I'm against anything that marginalizes folks within the community.

This comp won't keep players with this attitude from playing, that is my point. It just moves the goalpost for them.  They'll still be selfish in any comp you create.

An opportunity I understand, but "practice" I do not.  Practice for what?  If it for larger national and international events, then it seems you are setting them up with false expectations for how they'll perform in that environment. 

Practice simply to get better since they play 1-6 Times a year. No one around here ever visits big national or international events ^_^

You are right that it won‘t hold off all the selfish players, but the ones I know would not participate so I can lower their numbers =}

That it might raise the bar for some players is true, though I guess every new army (with a BT) should be playable? 

[=

Edit: I forgot: who scores an objective is determined by the number of (remaining) wounds holding the objective.

Archived