Midian Enclave - Idoneth from Chamon

Melcavuk

Inspired by the Stormcast podcast about theming your army to a realm without going for the traditional route (Realm of Fire, Set it on fire etc, sore point for my Suneaters but still), I've been exploring ways to look at the non-traditional view of each of the realms to find one that speaks to me best in order to theme a new project around. And thus the Midian Enclave of Idoneth has been concieved, originating from the Realm of Metal they call the Sea of Alchemy home.

For millenia pilgrims have come from far and wide to the cliffs high about the Sea of Alchemy, suitable far out of reach of its noxious fumes to view the spectacle. It is said that anything cast from on high unto the depths of the sea is transmuted to a more precious substance by the arcane magics that course through the currents of the Sea. Many a foolish traveller has cast their possessions from the cliffs and witnessed with strained eyes as lead and rock turns to gold as it sinks to the very depths of the ocean, in their greed and desperation these souls then cast themselves over the precipise to try and recieve their newly valuable possessions. Observers say these poor souls scream in agony as the heavy toxins within the ocean tear at their skin, yet such observers also say that in their final moments such souls are restored to their peak of age and fitness leading many to consider the Sea of Alchemy a fountain of youth.

The Idoneth that lurk beneath these oily waters are an odd Ilk, beneath the waves within the transmutative powers of the Sea itself they are radiant, flush with life and lead a blessed existance of riches. Though such things are all simply illusions of the water, whenever they must emerge onto land the as the last drops of the Alchemical waters drip away their true visage is revealed, what was once gold is simply rusted iron, what was once beauty is flesh riddled by the toxins of the water in horrific burns. It pains the Midians to rise from their depths and experience the truth behind the lies the ocean gifts them, so much so their Namarati kin cannot bear the truth of their existance, simply lingering in the blissful lies of their alchemical dreams.

Such an existance has hardened the Midian hunters, they don masks to hide their curse from any who would behold them. They hunt without mercy and take trophies back to their kingdom as much as reminders of the world beyond their borders as signs of their martial prowess.

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

Looks very nice, the eel is somewhat similar to mine though I've done mine in a richer blue.

One thing I think could improve it would be to go back and highlight the eel a bit more with a brush. It actually has quite a large number of creases that help emphasize the curvature of the model that I don't feel like have been picked up well with the airbrush giving it more of a flat feel than it should. It should take too long to go over either though if you would rather avoid doing so it looks great as it is already.

9 hours ago, Yoshiya said:

Looks very nice, the eel is somewhat similar to mine though I've done mine in a richer blue.

One thing I think could improve it would be to go back and highlight the eel a bit more with a brush. It actually has quite a large number of creases that help emphasize the curvature of the model that I don't feel like have been picked up well with the airbrush giving it more of a flat feel than it should. It should take too long to go over either though if you would rather avoid doing so it looks great as it is already.

CHeers, once I'm happy with the test scheme across the accessories I can then go back and fill in the details and accentuate the ridges on the eel. Currently trying to get a feel for the colour layout as a whole before filling in the blacnks.

More WIP on the test scheme, got some detailing to work out on the riders accessories and need to do something more with the basing (plus it needs the rim of the base blacked out) but pretty happy with the overall look

Testscheme.png

1 minute ago, Melcavuk said:

CHeers, once I'm happy with the test scheme across the accessories I can then go back and fill in the details and accentuate the ridges on the eel. Currently trying to get a feel for the colour layout as a whole before filling in the blacnks.

More WIP on the test scheme, got some detailing to work out on the riders accessories and need to do something more with the basing (plus it needs the rim of the base blacked out) but pretty happy with the overall look

Testscheme.png

Ah, that makes sense, looking forward to seeing it when it's completely finished then :) I love the look of the idoneth and your army is shaping up to be a particularly impressive one.

After size checking between the two concepts I had for the Idoneth King for my Midian Enclave (Chamon based, alchemical themes) I found the best match in components to be for the Skycutter chariot conversion (I dislike the deepmare model).

So here is Glaucus Radiant King of the Midians. With long life Midians reliance on the alchemical seas illusions becomes a matter of neccessity rather than simple luxury, to have spent ones whole life living in a blissful illusion only to be exposed to the cold truths of reality can result in a shock so severe as to kill those exposed. Glaucus has ruled the Midians since they first ventured forth into the muddied waters of the Sea of Alchemy, should he ever need to walk the surface lands above crude machinery now pumps the alchemically enriched waters throughout his system that he might enjoy the illusions the sea grants even whilst walking on land.

Such things make Glaucus a bewildering person to deal with in diplomacy his altered perceptions make any sort of bargain a confused endevour, in war he can see victory even in the most tragic of situations. Whilst this has led to many a victory stolen from the jaws of defeat it has on more than one occasion sent dozens of his Akhelian Soldiers to their death on a suicide mission a smarter tactician would have avoided.

The physical toll that the alchemical waters have wrought upon his form can never truly be known, with the centuries wearing on his armour has been replaced by heavy robes concealing any trace of flesh, it is thought his war chariot has been designed to ensure he needed put physical exertion into controlling his mount unless strictly needed.

(Early WIP, lots of cleaning and resculpting to come)

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

41 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

After size checking between the two concepts I had for the Idoneth King for my Midian Enclave (Chamon based, alchemical themes) I found the best match in components to be for the Skycutter chariot conversion (I dislike the deepmare model).

So here is Glaucus Radiant King of the Midians. With long life Midians reliance on the alchemical seas illusions becomes a matter of neccessity rather than simple luxury, to have spent ones whole life living in a blissful illusion only to be exposed to the cold truths of reality can result in a shock so severe as to kill those exposed. Glaucus has ruled the Midians since they first ventured forth into the muddied waters of the Sea of Alchemy, should he ever need to walk the surface lands above crude machinery now pumps the alchemically enriched waters throughout his system that he might enjoy the illusions the sea grants even whilst walking on land.

Such things make Glaucus a bewildering person to deal with in diplomacy his altered perceptions make any sort of bargain a confused endevour, in war he can see victory even in the most tragic of situations. Whilst this has led to many a victory stolen from the jaws of defeat it has on more than one occasion sent dozens of his Akhelian Soldiers to their death on a suicide mission a smarter tactician would have avoided.

The physical toll that the alchemical waters have wrought upon his form can never truly be known, with the centuries wearing on his armour has been replaced by heavy robes concealing any trace of flesh, it is thought his war chariot has been designed to ensure he needed put physical exertion into controlling his mount unless strictly needed.

(Early WIP, lots of cleaning and resculpting to come)

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

Glaucus does not serve, He rules!

Cheers, always been partial to the Slagmyst model but was struggling to find a reason to need it, with the more techy looking alchemy Idoneth vibe he fitted in and both him and the skycutter give me an eastern mysterious vibe.

King being painted seperately from the chariot for ease of access to some of the parts that will be hidden when mounted. Carrying with him the Whispering Blade, a revered relic of the Midian Enclave said to have been found lying at the deepest part of the Sea of Alchemy as though awaiting their arrival.

King.jpg

Cheers guys and yeah I do seem to take on an unnatural amount of conversion projects, fortunately its something my girlfriend and I both enjoy so gives us something to do together. Unfortunately that means I also just footed the bill for her new nighthaunt army bits :P But you take the good with the bad there.

9 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Cheers guys and yeah I do seem to take on an unnatural amount of conversion projects, fortunately its something my girlfriend and I both enjoy so gives us something to do together. Unfortunately that means I also just footed the bill for her new nighthaunt army bits :P But you take the good with the bad there.

What’s the matter with nighthaunt?! I play nighthaunt and they rule!

3 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

It was more the bill footing :P If I’m making an army I’m always making two do my partner has something to play.

Started playing with some paint on the king:

2B755906-5F78-4AB7-8BC0-9767BA87825D.jpeg

698486A2-FAB2-4799-BEE6-BFC08A47CF17.jpeg

DF40D47D-2474-4497-B713-A1C78C915611.jpeg

6175587C-F2D4-4676-89DD-2DD616091534.jpeg

Great looking stuff.  I'm not really a fan of the soft airbrushed look as a general rule, but I love your conversions.  You'll have to pull out something special to rival your Shyish Sylvaneth army.  

I wish I had your problem of having to buy armies for my significant other, my wife has very little interest in miniatures.  

Saw all this on the Idoneth Facebook page, but the paintwork has really brought together the look of the King for me. I don't know how anyone could not like the Deepmare model (currently have two en route) but you have definitely made something unique and cool to rival it. Only thing I thought to suggest was that a lot of the shark tones are quite muted, so maybe using the bonding rune etched into it's body to just give a little bit more of a highlight / wow effect to the model, if you match the glowing blue of your King then it would look like they were somehow linked to which works with the mystic theme you are going for :)

Have you made a deal with pan or something, cause I think you must have a Midas touch for conversions. Every single conversion of yours I’ve ever seen has been amazing and this is just showing the depths of your skill even further. The use of the necromunda water guild member, his shark chariot and the colour scheme are absolutely  inspired. 

Archived