GW Terrain - what do we want, what's reasonable?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a lot of those old kits back in WHFB days but couldn't ever even paint them because I couldn't stand to assemble the big troop blocks the game required. When AOS hit I dug them out of storable, painted them up, and they work just fine IMHO.

6 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

I got a lot of those old kits back in WHFB days but couldn't ever paint them because I couldn't stand to assemble the big troop blocks the game required. When AOS hit I dug them out of storage, painted them up, and they work just fine IMHO.

I'm pretty happy with the terrain I've bought so far (Realm Gates, Mausoleum, Arcane ruins, Osgiliath, Blasted Hallowheart). And I'm interested in picking up some of the Chaos Dreadhold stuff...

But I'd like stackable stuff like what just came out for KillTeam. I'm lucky in that it looks like they are working on precisely that! 

My dream terrain scenario would be a city plaza with some shops, a tavern/ inn, stables, guard barracks, a church and some fancy buildings with some generic homes. The kind of stuff you can build with 4ground's: Fabled Realms sets but in plastic and GW style.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, Reeve said:

So you used to have: 

• Sigmarite Chapel
  • WatchTower
  • Fortified Manor (Chapel+Watchtower+some walls)
  • Witchfate Tor (magic tower)
  • Dreadstone Blight (ruined tower)
  • Deathknell Watch 
  • Temple of Skulls

Think those are all of them. They all had a very 'Empire' vibe, but they would fit in excellently with the Sigmarite Mausoleum and the Warscryer Citadel. In that case we'd have two styles of Scenery, Azyrite and what I'd market as 'Shyish'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dragonfate Dais is discontinued now, as Eternity Stairs and the other stairway it was packet with.

• 6 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, EccentricCircle said:

Its sad how many good sets there were at various points. Is the deathknell watch the same as the top spire of the Warscryer citadel though? I've wondered about building that bit so that it can detach for smaller scale games.

Its a bit late, but yes, the tower part on the warscryer citadel is the same from the death knell keep. The keep set comes with a unique base, and then the mechanical skeleton signal platform. Both are beautiful sets, I consider myself lucky to have both!

On 7/26/2018 at 10:00 AM, Dead Scribe said:

More things that block line of sight and provide tactical opportunities.

I have posted pictures of my terrain somewhere before but in case you (or others) haven't seen it I think it does a good job of adding tactical decision making.  Because it has stepped platforms to all bluffs, mesas, whatever the word is, I have experimented with a house rule that you can't climb over more than 2" of terrain (anything higher than 2" is impassable without FLYING) and you have to go around to the path to get up.  It's been AWESOME and has added a ton to the game. 

I bought these from a seller online (terrainify) and to get them pre-painted and flocked, yes it's expensive, but they also have options for buying 3D print files or painting and flocking your own.  I have decided I will paint my own models, but life's too short to paint terrain!  I have also ordered the pre-painted version of hagglethorn hollow and if you haven't seen that- check it out https://hagglethorn-hollow.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders!  A lot of what I'm seeing wishlisted is being made by them. I'll show that off when it gets here (allegedly 9/19).  

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

Some breathtaking underground terrain would be awesome:

huge pillars with big winding stairways to it‘s side.

A huge bride spanning between two walls/ stalagtides with a realmgate at each end

collapsed walls which allow movement over the rubble to get to the other side.

all of that but with maximum playability (so you can play at and on the terrain. It should add a additional dimension to the game and not just be a space-blocker)

Archived