AOS 2.0: Legions of Nagash General Discussion

swarmofseals

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I think there are a couple of answers to this, broadly broken down into two categories: tactical and practical.

Followed by lots of smart things

The argument for concentrated power I can see. I guess I was thinking about pushing units/etc off objectives through sheer dice but if the physical space is limited, it makes it harder to do so.

I can see the practical, though I've never let that stand in my way (see a 800 count Night Goblin army back in 7th/8th). So I don't mind painting/building a bunch of things.

8 hours ago, Honk said:

and back to @Ratrek 

40 skellis/ 40 skellis /60 zOmbies and a corpse cart...

280/280/320/80 points (960) double necro, vamp lord (110/110/140) for 360...that’s 1420 points

580 points left... 

maybe 3x10 wolves (360) 

a vortex, the pendulum and the cogs (40,40,60) 

points for an additional CP... or the palisades if opponent shoots too much

but horde killers will wreck you 

(gaunt summoner, plague claws...)

Off the top of my head I was thinking something like Arkhan, Necro, Vamp Lord, 40 Skellies, 50 Zombies, 30 Grimghasts, 5 Dire Wolves, Corpse Cart, 10 Hexwraiths and Cogs.

Bunch of bodies for Hordes fun. Reasonable magic and a bit of speed. Though that's probably an issue if Cogs gets stopped.

3 hours ago, Ratrek said:

Though that's probably an issue if Cogs gets stopped.

You can command the run roll to a whooping 6, that’ll give them a 10“ range... for the puppies 16“ 

another option is summoning from the gravesite. Give your vamp lord wings and pinions and a good run suddenly your blob appears... (10+5+6+9+9) with the furthest model a maximum of 39“ away if you set up correctly. Without pinions, command run and suboptimal placing you can still get them 20+“ away from your vamps starting zone.

23 hours ago, Honk said:

You can command the run roll to a whooping 6, that’ll give them a 10“ range... for the puppies 16“ 

another option is summoning from the gravesite. Give your vamp lord wings and pinions and a good run suddenly your blob appears... (10+5+6+9+9) with the furthest model a maximum of 39“ away if you set up correctly. Without pinions, command run and suboptimal placing you can still get them 20+“ away from your vamps starting zone.

Excellent point and one I've entirely overlooked.

Hmmm.....

On 7/28/2018 at 7:03 AM, AverageBoss said:

I will be trying out a Black Coach alongside some Grimghasts and Chainrasps in Legions.

Odd choices with the FAQ imo. Specifically on Invigorating Aura (and ability specifically given to gravesites, not units), Endless Legions (a command ability), and the Guardian of Souls (making him the only wizard that I can think of that can't select a spell from a lore in an army that has them). Errata to say the first two only work on units with a Legions keyword seems like it would have been a cleaner way to achieve the same effect. The third I just find baffling.

One might think to ask GW who actually oversees the faqs they do.... Another FAQ specifically stated that gravesite healing works even if it your enemy's gravesite.... But oh it doen't work for your own allies.... That is just silly.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, Arael_Greywings said:

One might think to ask GW who actually oversees the faqs they do.... Another FAQ specifically stated that gravesite healing works even if it your enemy's gravesite.... But oh it doen't work for your own allies.... That is just silly. 

That's actually in the same FAQ, which makes it even more absurd...

Q: If a single Hero is within 9" of two different gravesites, can you set up two different units from the grave, one from each gravesite?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I use the Deathless Minions, Endless Legions and Invigorating Aura battle traits for allies in a Legions of Nagash army?

A: No. However, note that several Nighthaunt units can now be taken as part of a Legions of Nagash army, and you can use those battle traits for those units (see the Legions of Nagash errata).

?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!!! So I'm thinking of finishing my Death army that I have minis from 90s. Last year I bought some things but never get into them because didn't exist Legions of Nagash battletome. So, I put whay I have and then make some questions. I may say that for death I want a heavy army that can be some kind of competitive but I feel to go with the rule of coolnes, so I mean I hate wolves and I dont want more big units that the skelis I have. What I have:

- 30 skeleton warriors, 2 banshees adn Blood Knights

- Vampire Lord on Nightmare Steed (that 90s figure that I love so much)

- Start Collecting Nighthaunt (spirit host, hexwraiths and Coven Throne)

- Necromancer.

It's obvious I need battlelines. And now the questions:

I was thinking of getting the start collecting with Arkham the black because I love that model and can mount the knights as hexwraiths so, and I have read Arkham is a bit expensive on points and that is better to get the vampire, I will see:

- Hexwraiths yes o no?? I like them and I think they are fast, tough and hit nice, then I would have 10 that I think is correct.

- Chainrasp or Skeleton warriors? I think is clearly Chainrasp but with the 10 skelis on the Start Collecting I could paint as nighthaunt and make them easy chainrasp. The thing is will I need pack of 20 of them?

- The Coven Throne. Making my list I put it as Mortis Engine because of the lot of points I was putting into heroes (910 points with it as Coven Throne), so what to do with it? go Coven or Bloodseeker or better go Mortis??

- Blood Knights (owned), Grimghast reaper or Morgast Archai (they are battleline!)?? I think I should have 2 units of nice punch. Grimghast are cool minis, morghast are just the coolest cool figures.

- Black Coach... I could put as ally, is so cool.

Said this, I think the Battleforce  is a good deal, I could make 20 chainrasp with 20 skelis. The morghast, Arkham, a hero and 10 GG that I should use them. There's no Hexwraiths, and as I said there's too much skelis.

I could take Start Collecting with Arkham + Morghast. That would put this list:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Blood Knights (240)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Spirit Swords
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

I think is the cheapest/coolest I can make. Maybe I should change blood knights or morghast for Grimghast and can fit a banshee??

Other change I could use only 5 hexwraiths and make Mortis engine as Coven Throne and fit a banshee.

Or I can go to hell with everything and take Nagash

How do u see it?? thanks for the answers

So this weekend I made some thoughts and I will build this army: 

Allegiance: Legion of Night

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Blades

Units
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 136

Leaves me 50 points for an extra CP or to switch Arkhan into Neferata by deleting glaivewraith stalkers 

@HosemanUnfortunately if you chose to take Arkhan your list has to be in a Legions of Sacrament or Grand Host of Nagash. Basically each of the different allegiances in the Legions of Nagash book state that if you take a mortarch it in Legions of Night/Blood/Sacrament it has to be that legions mortarch and they have to be the general. So if you change to Neferata, then you would have to take a Legion of Blood or Grand Host of Nagash. 

I would also strongly recommend that you find a way to bump your skeletons up to a unit of 40 as that only costs an extra 40 points, and you have to loose 11 models before you go down to 2 attacks per model. The chainrasp horde work fine in smaller units like you have listed. 

I think getting the extra command point is a good idea, but I look at that list and I am not sure how it kills things/wins games.  If you want to stick with Arkhan and maybe use the legions of sacrament I find that the spirit hosts are pretty good. But I would look to increase the unit size to 6. 3 can be quite lacklustre as you are just not rolling enough dice to get those 6's for mortal wounds. Alternatively you could look to increase the size of your reapers.  

Also if you quite like Arkhan (Why not he is awesome) and you have not built the coven throne yet you could look at the Lords of Sacrament Battalion. It uses Arkhan, a Mortis Engine and 2+ Necromancers. and it gives models in the battalion +1 cast each  and +1 to save rolls for the battalion in the shooting phase while they are withing 6" of the mortis engine. could be a way to go if it sounds appealing to you. 

Anyway its food for thought :)

Thanks a lot @Teuchter . The reason going night is for the ambush of 3 heroes. I like to appear next to objectives and summon my units next on first turn. I didn't read the thing of the mortarch sadly. No matter, I like Arkhan a lot but I know Neferata is better.

Coven throne I have it mounted and painted but is not a shame to use it as Mortis Engine.

I was thinking on Hexwraiths and reapers to kill things, I was going to buy morghast but I found a good deal for some nighthaunt units of the soul wars box.

40 skelis I can make it. And maybe 20 and 20 of chainrasp... maybe I need more punch so I will try to fit my blood knights.

I will think more... I own soul wars box but I kinda don't like anything but reapers and chainrasp as battleline. LoSacrament are so lovely with that 4+ to put a dead unit back

@Hoseman No problem. If you want to go with the Legion of Night for the Ambush playstyle you will need to use Manfred as your Mortarch if you want to run one at all. Not played with legion of night before, but I think that Morghasts would be pretty good coming in off the side with Manfred. Specifically Harbingers with Spirit Halberds, as they get to use 3d6 for charge rolls. Also deathrattle units get +1 to save if they are wholely withing your own territory so skeletons get even better in this legion. 

You mentioned that you were looking for which box you should look to purchase. The blades for the blood queen box would give you a great supplement to your army, as you get a Mortarch kit and 2 Morghasts plus more skeletons. You also get a wight king and 10 Grave Guard, which are okay, but I personally wouldn't build an army around them. 

Also I wouldn't say Neferata is necessarily better than Arkhan. They are just different. 

Thought I'd drop my list and talk through it, see what you guys like/don't like

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Chainrasp Horde (240)

Units
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 128

So the general idea of this list is to stack loads of debuffs to enemy units through the use of Geminids and the spells on my wizards as they decrease the chance to hit and the amount of attacks from the opponent's units. 

Standard use of Dire Wolves and the 30-strong Chainrasp horde exists as a form of tarpit or to throw on an objective, with the enemy rebuffed it will be hard to cut through these guys especially when you put in all the regen from the hero's abilities and the Mortis engine. The Mortis engine offers a nice support piece to the army and a potentially powerful aggressive model when the enemy is debuffed, it can get stuck in and reduce the risk of death. Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon has a similar purpose of a hard to remove beatstick, command points will be used to make the spirit hosts roll failed hits to increase the chance of getting those 6s.

The spirit hosts have great synergy with this list as they don't have to worry about the Geminids too much since they don't really care if they get a -1 to hit. The overall strategy is to get these guys up close with the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon and cut down some guys. 

I am currently building the last of my spirit hosts so I will hopefully have some results to report with this list in the future!

Well!!! after been half afternoon counting things I made 3 lists, one for each army. I think they are just very fine and viable so depending on how u wanna play.

So for going on ambush with Mannfred hiting hard. We go next to an objective on ambush with mannfred, Necro and one other hero (as Vampire I have it on steed and moves quik, so as Coven throne), and then summon 40 skelis, 20 grimghast and 10 hexwraiths... easy :)

Allegiance: Legion of Night

Leaders
Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (420)
Coven Throne (260)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

For Legion of Blood, as we havea buff to our Vampires I use Blood Knights, is the list I less like, but I put it if anybody likes it:

Allegiance: Legion of Blood

Leaders
Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (400)
Coven Throne (260)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Blood Knights (240)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 138

And now the one I like a lot too, Sacrament. Here we could change the vampire lord for Spirit Hosts + Quicksilver Swords and have that CP extra.

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Coven Throne (260)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 143

So here they are. I like them and if we go Hosts of Nagash we can change Vampire to Spirit hosts and still have a good regen for the Legions Innumerable.

Archived