The New FAQ (23/07/2018)

Enoby

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Overread said:

there is no index to help you find the reference

In my opinion, this is their current greatest failing in the rule books. For years they didn't have indexes and it was widely lamented. 

Then they did, and there was much rejoicing.

Then they didn't, and we haz a sad.

Just now, Skabnoze said:

One of the heads is vegan. 

The other two find this situation really strange, but since they all have to live together in close proximity they don't bring it up or else things might get awkward.

I bet that must be the Tzeentch head!

56 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I dont see where the problem is in list building. Open scrollbuilder, take the units you like and you are good to go. 

Sure, artefacts and spells can be a lot to keep in mind when writting a list but that has nothing to do with accidently making a "illegal" list.

I've used Scrollbuilder. It's a lovely program and it's designer is to be commended.

That said, I don't entirely trust it as The Final Source. Plus, I vastly prefer using books, and when the rules are spread over several books, not to mention FAQ docs, it gets tough.  I'm always left feeling like I've missed an update, made an error, or overlooked an option.

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

I've used Scroll builder. It's a lovely program and it's designed is to be commended.

That said, I don't entirely trust it as The Final Source. Plus, I vastly prefer using books, and when the rules are spread over several books, not to mention FAQ docs, it gets tough.  I'm always left feeling like I've missed an update, made an error, our overlooked an option.

Still its not too hard - pluck the battletome/handbook for your army(ies); pluck the FAQ/Errata for those books and you've basically got most of what you need to build an army with.

I do agree GW could improve this area, but its more a mental hurdle at present than it is a functional hurdle.  It is also more of a hurdle if you are using a lot of allied factions (I really hope we see a Free Cities or similar one or two alliance blocks for Order come out to cover many of the remaining smaller subfactions in a single publication - even though technically the Generals handbook covers most of what they need - far as I'm aware)

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I've used Scrollbuilder. It's a lovely program and it's designer is to be commended.

That said, I don't entirely trust it as The Final Source. Plus, I vastly prefer using books, and when the rules are spread over several books, not to mention FAQ docs, it gets tough.  I'm always left feeling like I've missed an update, made an error, our overlooked an option.

I hear you, it would be nice if some of this information was collected into a handy quick-reference.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

While I'm not as disappointed as you are, I do very much find it exasperating to try to build a list legally.

Does anyone know of a good flow chart that steps you through building a list?  Being serious.

From a general perspective, Battlescribe with the AoS List catalogs is pretty reasonable.

You’ll still need your rules, but it helps a bunch.

9 hours ago, Overread said:

Still its not too hard - pluck the battletome/handbook for your army(ies); pluck the FAQ/Errata for those books and you've basically got most of what you need to build an army with.

I do agree GW could improve this area, but its more a mental hurdle at present than it is a functional hurdle.  It is also more of a hurdle if you are using a lot of allied factions (I really hope we see a Free Cities or similar one or two alliance blocks for Order come out to cover many of the remaining smaller subfactions in a single publication - even though technically the Generals handbook covers most of what they need - far as I'm aware)

I appreciate the responses and your view, but even in them you've sort of illustrated my point-

---

Justgrab your battletome. And the rules. And the GH. Ah, but check the FAQ. Pick your battalions. Oh, but there's allies.

Also, realms, cities, Sorcery, artefacts.

---

Don't forget, now, several of these things can modify how the other things work.

Oh, plus, some things that apply to allegiance rules are only in effect in-game, while others impact how you build the list.

There is TON of stuff to remember, and it's not really all that intuitive, nor is it collected in one guide to help you get it right.

3 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

From a general perspective, Battlescribe with the AoS List catalogs is pretty reasonable.

You’ll still need your rules, but it helps a bunch.

Isn't Battlescribe dodgy, like Army Builder? I don't like to support folks who profit or succeed off of the hard work of others without giving those others their due.

Or have I got that wrong and Battlescribe is endorsed by GW?

5 hours ago, michu said:

Someone on reddit noticed that GW allowed using Errant-Questor Pitched Battleprofile that's not in the ScE battletome or GHB18  and that could be used as an argument for using both of Spire of Dawn battalions.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/917c51/new_designer_commentary_and_spire_of_dawn/ 

What do you think about that?

That's great news if it turns out to be true :) Would give skaven players some much needed love battalion options.

Do you think this would extend to the Clawpacks in such a case? They are all valued at 80 points, but haven't shown up in either of the GHBs.

@Sleboda If you’re looking for something endorsed by GW, then you’re looking at Azyr or Scrollbuilder.

But even “endorsed by GW” doesnt mean it is accurate or complete.

https://spikeybits.com/2018/07/breaking-spikey-bits-cheated-at-the-atcs.html

(All the Battlescribe catalogs across the board for all game systems are actually created and maintained by volunteers.)

4 hours ago, Jjfiv3 said:

So am I right in thinking that both Khorne and Tzeentch heroes can pick artifacts from any table but Nurgle still has the restrictions?

I do not believe so.

The individual artefact tables have a blurb at the top that was not errattad that specifies which heroes can use those artefacts.

All this errata does is functionally change daemonic gifts to count as artefacts for the purpose of specific battle plans and such.

47 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Do you think this would extend to the Clawpacks in such a case? They are all valued at 80 points, but haven't shown up in either of the GHBs.

I don’t believe so, as the clawpacks were in the 2016 GHB and removed from the publication in the 2017 edition. 

They were part of the Skaven Warscroll Compendium, which was updated and they were removed from the publication (they were in the 2015 edition release, and removed in the 2017 edition release.)

8 hours ago, Xasz said:

As expected, Everchosen battalions (or any faction battalions) are locked behind the corresponding allegiance. (more or less)

It's a shame.  I've never had more fun playing warhammer than the bloodmarked warband with Archaon.

Why even give them points if they are unusable?

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

That ruling surprised me as well.

I'm not sure what the logic is in removing the ability for a certain subset of named characters to control objectives in some scenarios.

And it didn't even prevent the really obnoxious one from controlling them since Morathi's also a wizard.  

Just now, tolstedt said:

It's a shame.  I've never had more fun playing warhammer than the bloodmarked warband with Archaon.

Why even give them points if they are unusable?

The battalions are entirely playable in an EVERCHOSEN Army.

You just don’t get Blood Tithe, and would have to take the Grand Alliance Battle Traits.

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I think that probably the Power Gamer with Unlimited Budget and Instantaneous Painting is an over-estimated segment of the market.

But it might be large enough to be worth doing.  If I go onto GW's website right now, my region is sold out of the particular seraphon stuff in question.  Maybe they keep more stock in the UK, but in North America, these kinds of runs on products based on FAQs or a new army book or codex making something super good happens.  It's entirely possible though that there are like only tens of Engines of the Gods or Astrolith Bearers in stock rather than hundreds or thousands so it's super easy for them to be sold through, but it seems to happen again and again.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Or you could be a curmudgeonly monster like me. New FAQ out? Open up your battletome's FAQ/Designer Notes, then write all the changes on post-it notes and insert them into the relevant portion of your Battletome. Then do it the Core and other relevant books. It takes time upfront but it saves you time later and writing the changes helps with memorization. 

But again... I'm a monster. There's a reason technology is murdering books, the way I murdered that squad of 30 arkanaut with 2 morghasts the other day. You could say it's shocking.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

That said, I don't entirely trust it as The Final Source. Plus, I vastly prefer using books, and when the rules are spread over several books, not to mention FAQ docs, it gets tough.  I'm always left feeling like I've missed an update, made an error, or overlooked an option.

Tony is a buddy of mine, and spends a ridiculous amount of time updating and maintaining scrollbuilder. There's a group of about 15 of us with a wide range of armies who are friends of his, play with him regularly, use it consistently, and point out any errors we notice, so it stays pretty error free. That being said, if anyone sees any mistakes or issues at any point feel free to send it to me and I'll pass it along. Tony is also active on twitter, so you can reach him there.

4 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

I agree. And I don't want to get cynical, but it does seem like this might be motivated by increasing sales to have occasional periods where certain random models are totally OP and a must-have for power gamers

For example, Seraphon summoning spam with Engine of the Gods that was obviously broken to any competent player that glanced at them for a second. GW releases AoS 2.0, and suddenly if you're a Seraphon power gamer you *must have* multiple Engines of the Gods and 6 boxes of Skinks to beat other power gamers. 

And once the competitive gamers have had time to overreact and spend their money on whatever is broken, GW releases an update that drastically changes the power levels of some units.

Idk. Wouldn't shock me, because the end of the day GW aren't your personal friends and they don't owe you anything. They're a company trying to maximize profit like every other company in both the short term and the long term. 

It’s MOBA syndrome. All the ranked players rush to buy the new latest crushingly OP hero and 4 weeks later it’s nerfed into the ground. 

Meanwhile I’m playing sleeper OP no name heroes nobody knows what they do because they’re 7 years old and nobody but me uses them. 

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

It’s MOBA syndrome. All the ranked players rush to buy the new latest crushingly OP hero and 4 weeks later it’s nerfed into the ground. 

Meanwhile I’m playing sleeper OP no name heroes nobody knows what they do because they’re 7 years old and nobody but me uses them. 

Realm Domination nearing Completion. Just. As. Planned. ;) 

Did they break piling in AGAIN?! 

Q: When one of my models piles in, if it is equally close to two different enemy models, do I have to finish the move as close or closer to each of those models? For example, if my model is in base contact with two enemy models, does it have to finish a pile-in move in base contact with both those models?

A: Yes to both questions – if this is impossible the model cannot move.

So we CAN slide around models.... But just once ?

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Isn't Battlescribe dodgy, like Army Builder? I don't like to support folks who profit or succeed off of the hard work of others without giving those others their due.

Or have I got that wrong and Battlescribe is endorsed by GW?

Battlescribe catalogs are maintained and created by volunteers, people who just have the time and want something that will provide a tool to reduce change of list errors as much as possible. The app itself is designed intentionally for hundreds of game systems, and the supporter thing for it goes only to application development, none of it goes to the catalog maintainers.

The biggest thing battlescribe has going for it is that it is team-maintained and entirely open, so anyone can submit error reports and fixes for things that are wrong, with a usual turnaround time for 40k and AoS of ~3 days or less from report to fix and release.

13 hours ago, ianob said:

I'm imagining the many people arguing that a) you could cast Endless Spells through a portal and b) you could cast Endless Spells with Curseling, Nagash etc that your enemy knows in matched play, preparing their "but but but" responses right now.

Right @Kurrilino?

uhmm, not really. At least noty me.

I'm a man of science and accept the evidence.

Endless Spells and spell portal are not working together anymore.

I bow my head and accept the facts

Archived