The New FAQ (23/07/2018)

Enoby

Two models on a tabletop are effectively at rest relative to each other.

As we can therefore assume the momentum as null without measurement, the uncertainty principle allows us to know with precision the relative position of these minis.

That means that being able to definitively establish closest model is something that is within the grasp of particle physics TODAY.

Does CERN have a gaming table?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, michu said:

If your opponent is a beginner with a Start Collecting!-based army and he want you to teach him just basic rules, don't bring your Tzeentch Changehost to that game[...]

If you’re trying to teach someone, a game closer to 500-1000 Points and if they have a Start Collecting, pull out the equivalent models to a Start Collecting. (Or do the Path to Glory equivalent.) (and avoid Named heroes.)

After they have some experience under their belt ... THEN you pull out the “amp that goes to 11”...

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If you’re trying to teach someone, a game closer to 500-1000 Points and if they have a Start Collecting, pull out the equivalent models to a Start Collecting. (Or do the Path to Glory equivalent.) (and avoid Named heroes.)

After they have some experience under their belt ... THEN you pull out the “amp that goes to 11”...

Dat Spinal Tap reference! You win the thread.

56 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I hadn't thought about this in decades, but in junior high I was in a karate class, starting out with many friends and contemporaries, along with some adults.  One of the large adults was infamous for never holding back his strength for even a second, with anyone.  We all hated it, and pretty much everyone dropped out of the class, until it was cancelled altogether due to low attendance.  The end.

I wonder if this can be applicable to AoS as well ?

I mean I literally dropped out of the hobby for about 6 months after about 10  “friendly” games that were actually 1 sided thrashing’s in which I learned nothing about tactics, or my army, or anything except how to lose without even touching my opponent. 

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

It makes perfect sense that it can be done in poor sportsmanship, the old “I can beat you with one arm tied behind my back” bit. 

However I don’t think it’s unsportsman-like to hold back a touch versus someone (like me) who had absolutely 0 table top experience and just wanted a few games to dip my toes into the water and get a feel for the rules and for what my army even does. 

In that case you’re being a black belt in Ju jitsu but you aren’t teaching anything you’re just showing off against the white belt who doesn’t even know what ju jitsu is and it’s their first class. 

Agreed. If there goal is to teach the system itself, the game is played one way. If the goal is to learn playing skills and tactics, it's another way. If both players know the system and understand how to use their armies, then I believe it should be expected that both will do their best.

This is for competitions, btw, not for Narrative, which is a whole different monkey.

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I hadn't thought about this in decades, but in junior high I was in a karate class, starting out with many friends and contemporaries, along with some adults.  One of the large adults was infamous for never holding back his strength for even a second, with anyone.  We all hated it, and pretty much everyone dropped out of the class, until it was cancelled altogether due to low attendance.  The end.

Why wouldn't you all just opt to not play against (fight) that guy rather than all quit? Honestly curious.

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

We lowly white and yellow belts did not have the authority to decide upon training or sparring partners on our own lol.

Ah. Gotcha.

Still, I would think the needs of the many, and all that. The instructor should have seen what was going on and kicked out the one guy.

+++MOD HAT+++

Hi folks, I'm locking this thread as it looks like we've not much more to discuss on the new FAQ's and have gone off into the recurring topic of attitudes towards games, new players etc.

@Enoby I've split your post on the update to the FW pitched battle profiles into it's own thread (nice catch ;))

Archived