The New FAQ (23/07/2018)

Enoby

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a look trough most of the FAQs. Most important thing: many of the "broken" things were removed. Lord Kroaks spell gets harder to cast, no endless attacks for ripperdactyles, no moving after summoning units via engine of the gods, no more 64 damage grots or using the Anvils of the Heldenhammer ability on the same unit more than once per turn. 

Well they made it explicitly clear that command abilities (unless otherwise stated on warscroll) can be used multiple times in same phase on same unit .  I think tournament abuse will cause this to change at some point. For example, now Volturnous - who can only use his command ability on Turn 3 anyway - can save command points up to give 3x units w/in 12" +3 attacks each.  He and 2 units of Morsarr Guard are going to delete just about anything on Turn 3. 

At least the Aspiring Death Bringer was toned down a bit to +1 Attack wholly within 10". So no more conga lining to him, which just looks dumb on the table.   

I was really hoping they would clarify how Cycle of the Storm works.

Oh its in the general FAQ: 

Q: Sometimes an ability will say that a slain model is not removed from play, and you instead heal 1 or more wounds allocated to the model. If there are any wounds remaining to be allocated to the slain model or the unit it belongs to, are they negated?

A: No, unless the ability specifically says it negates any remaining wounds or mortal wounds.

7 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I had a look trough most of the FAQs. Most important thing: many of the "broken" things were removed. Lord Kroaks spell gets harder to cast, no endless attacks for ripperdactyles, no moving after summoning units via engine of the gods, no more 64 damage grots or using the Anvils of the Heldenhammer ability on the same unit more than once per turn. 

Yep, it's a pretty solid FAQ I reckon.

I'm imagining the many people arguing that a) you could cast Endless Spells through a portal and b) you could cast Endless Spells with Curseling, Nagash etc that your enemy knows in matched play, preparing their "but but but" responses right now.

Right @Kurrilino?

The bit about allegiance abilities is making my head hurt a bit.

Example - I build an Order Serpentis army, it has battleline-if options for Order Serpentis allegiance only. That now means, unless I misunderstand, that I cannot use Order allegiance abilities. Does that therefore include things like Legendary Fighter?

I'm at work, but has anyone else spotted if they've cleared up the Firestorm City rules that also prevents battleline-if armies using the Firestorm rules - again I might misunderstand here too. 

Not much affecting me, but I do like how Ghoul Patrol is clarified to A) allow you to go over the starting size, and B) It's now ANY unit can be put in reserve, not ALL units.  A small buff, but one I will take.

1 minute ago, syph0n said:

The bit about allegiance abilities is making my head hurt a bit.

Example - I build an Order Serpentis army, it has battleline-if options for Order Serpentis allegiance only. That now means, unless I misunderstand, that I cannot use Order allegiance abilities. Does that therefore include things like Legendary Fighter?

I'm at work, but has anyone else spotted if they've cleared up the Firestorm City rules that also prevents battleline-if armies using the Firestorm rules - again I might misunderstand here too. 

Covered in the GHB errata (which is weird):

Page 62 – Pitched Battle Profile, Introduction Add the following section: ‘ARMIES WITHOUT ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES If a faction army does not have a set of allegiance abilities, then you can use its Grand Alliance allegiance abilities instead. For example, if you had an Eshin army you could use the Grand Alliance Chaos allegiance abilities, and if you had an Order Draconis army you could use the Grand Alliance Order allegiance abilities. Note that if allegiance abilities exist for a faction army, you must use them.’

Yes, but they have also said "Q: Some units have the battleline role if they are in an army with allegiance to a specific faction – for example, Judicators are battleline in a Stormcast Eternals army. Say I built an army that could have allegiance to a faction (e.g. Stormcast Eternals), can I use the Grand Alliance allegiance abilities for the army (e.g. Order), while still counting those units as battleline? A: No." So you have to use GA order abilities for Order Serpentis, but "battleline-if" units don't work..

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Covered in the GHB errata (which is weird):

Page 62 – Pitched Battle Profile, Introduction Add the following section: ‘ARMIES WITHOUT ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES If a faction army does not have a set of allegiance abilities, then you can use its Grand Alliance allegiance abilities instead. For example, if you had an Eshin army you could use the Grand Alliance Chaos allegiance abilities, and if you had an Order Draconis army you could use the Grand Alliance Order allegiance abilities. Note that if allegiance abilities exist for a faction army, you must use them.’

Much appreciated @Double Misfire. That would have harmed the battletome-less armies unnecessarily. 

1 minute ago, michu said:

Yes, but they have also said "Q: Some units have the battleline role if they are in an army with allegiance to a specific faction – for example, Judicators are battleline in a Stormcast Eternals army. Say I built an army that could have allegiance to a faction (e.g. Stormcast Eternals), can I use the Grand Alliance allegiance abilities for the army (e.g. Order), while still counting those units as battleline? A: No." So you have to use GA order abilities for Order Serpentis, but "battleline-if" units don't work..

The only option you have is battleline-if, otherwise it's just a mixed order army surely? 

Just now, michu said:

Yes, that's why it's a bit condradictory for me. Or am I misunderstanding something?

If you pick an allegiance you must use the appropriate allegiance abilities.

If you don't have allegiance abilities you must use your Grand Alliance abilities.

This is very easy to understand :P

Ok, I just tought that they said "Battleline-if  works only if your army has that allegiance (no GA order army with judicators). . Now I understand that armies without their own allegiance abilities still works the old way (GA order, but battleline-if works).

Well done GW, well done. 

It's one of the best FAQs they have ever published, if not the best. Changes are well-thought, without nerfing armies/units to oblivion. 

- Kroak and spellportal Nagash got pretty justified nerfs

- changes to some command abilities, lens of reflection, spellportal, geminidis are great without making those choices unusable. 

- some much needed clarifications (like "Three Places" battleplan) 

The 'nearest model' issue has been resolved as you can have more than one nearest models, so must end pile in nearer or same distance to all. Seems fine on surface but it could mean some models who are equal distance to 2 enemy must pile forwards, while those right next to them have almost free reign to pile around the enemy. 

Archived