Getting annoyed by a player in tournaments...

Well, you could tell him how tough he is to play against and ask him if he has any advice on how you could do better,  invite him to play a game outside tournaments and have some fun. Do a double header where you each take a turn playing your own army and then the other guy's.

Mostly, give the guy a break. People can sense when folks are ganging up on them even it is unsaid. If he is a tough competitor he is going to hunker-down and fight you guys tooth and nail if he feels like you are A) bad mouthing him B) hinting that he is a cheater C)making the fact that he wins a personal attack. Try to remember that  many good gamers don't have a lot of social skills paired with high levels of intelligence, so when they get to enjoy some success at something finally arrogance can be a common and understandable response for a socially stunted dude.  Many people are arrogant, many are justified in being arrogant, it came be obnoxious buts it's just the way of the world, the key is to engage them on a positive level instead of attacking.  Arrogance about success in one endeavor can mask feelings of inadequacy in other areas they struggle. Take the chance to make the guy a friend, or acquaintance or even knowledgeable resource for your gaming community. Otherwise this guy is going to see the only option he has is to win on the board and he will become an even more implacable foe. 

Also as some folks mentioned, fighting FP is not great mystery. I have encountered a great deal of wringing-of-hands from casual players across the table when facing me with a FP army, because they can't just charge and do what they normally do.  Yet the simple fact is that a FP army hasn't gotten anywhere near the top finishers in a tournament in European, American, or Australian in the last two years. That's because the top players know that the FP are as squishy and easy to beat  as any other army as long as you observe the basics.  Don't charge if they are set up to lend support, work your objectives while those big blocks try to move around, kill their general, whittle the units down a little  with spells, shots and ranged abilities and most of their unit buffs drop out, for example xbows only get the double shot with 20 models in the unit, adjust your tactics accordingly swamp them with the new endless spells because the most dangerous FP armies take advantage of their own units in large numbers and can seldom afford much in the way of spellcasters without undercutting their synergies, and remember they have very few leaders models which can be a weakness in many battle-plans.  (There are three other big weakness that can gut a FP army but I'm not going to post them on this huge board, because I gotta win somehow! :P

Good luck!   

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the issue kind of solved itself now.

As I confronted him with the problems, that occured, he told, that he doesn't want to participate anymore.

I didn't even tell him, that he HAS TO change things, I just asked him, if he could concider having a look at his stuff and if he could manage to get it to a standart, that fits the criteria.
But I mean, it is his choice.

I am very grateful for all your help, advice ansd experience you shared with me & others here in this topic!

What I am gonna change due to the rules now is mainly, to have a little more random prices and to clarify the standarts of self made models & conversions further.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:15 PM, Matador said:

Well, you could tell him how tough he is to play against and ask him if he has any advice on how you could do better,  invite him to play a game outside tournaments and have some fun. Do a double header where you each take a turn playing your own army and then the other guy's.

Mostly, give the guy a break. People can sense when folks are ganging up on them even it is unsaid. If he is a tough competitor he is going to hunker-down and fight you guys tooth and nail if he feels like you are A) bad mouthing him B) hinting that he is a cheater C)making the fact that he wins a personal attack. Try to remember that  many good gamers don't have a lot of social skills paired with high levels of intelligence, so when they get to enjoy some success at something finally arrogance can be a common and understandable response for a socially stunted dude.  Many people are arrogant, many are justified in being arrogant, it came be obnoxious buts it's just the way of the world, the key is to engage them on a positive level instead of attacking.  Arrogance about success in one endeavor can mask feelings of inadequacy in other areas they struggle. Take the chance to make the guy a friend, or acquaintance or even knowledgeable resource for your gaming community. Otherwise this guy is going to see the only option he has is to win on the board and he will become an even more implacable foe. 

Also as some folks mentioned, fighting FP is not great mystery. I have encountered a great deal of wringing-of-hands from casual players across the table when facing me with a FP army, because they can't just charge and do what they normally do.  Yet the simple fact is that a FP army hasn't gotten anywhere near the top finishers in a tournament in European, American, or Australian in the last two years. That's because the top players know that the FP are as squishy and easy to beat  as any other army as long as you observe the basics.  Don't charge if they are set up to lend support, work your objectives while those big blocks try to move around, kill their general, whittle the units down a little  with spells, shots and ranged abilities and most of their unit buffs drop out, for example xbows only get the double shot with 20 models in the unit, adjust your tactics accordingly swamp them with the new endless spells because the most dangerous FP armies take advantage of their own units in large numbers and can seldom afford much in the way of spellcasters without undercutting their synergies, and remember they have very few leaders models which can be a weakness in many battle-plans.  (There are three other big weakness that can gut a FP army but I'm not going to post them on this huge board, because I gotta win somehow! :P

Good luck!   

Great stuff, thank you :)

When I "confronted" him, I really talked to him ion a polite way, that I wanted to solve the problems with him together. But the only answer I got was, that he refuses to do so. Even though I did not tell him, that he has to change stuff, he just refused to participate again.

Well, it's a pitty, but I can not chnage his decision there, and I don't want to change it due to the fact, how he was bringing his arguments. It was just not possible to talk to him, once he started to kind of ****** around there. Sry for my word choice there, but that's just what it was.

cheers ///

Other people have said most of what needs to be said. The one thing I'd say is if you're trying to attract new/returning players, be open to conversions and legacy bases. This is an expensive hobby and converting character models from core units is one way new players can make it affordable. It's also a creative outlet for many - the majority of my character minis are either classics or conversions because I want my heroes to be unique.  Likewise, coming back to Warhammer only to be told you have to spend hundreds of pounds rebasing your minis is going to put a lot of people off, especially when many current minis don't come with the specified round bases. Some legacy minis look ridiculous on the official base sizes and others like to use larger/smaller bases for modelling/storage purposes. Several minis I already rebased for AOS now require different bases (Flesh Hounds, Pink Horrors etc.)

Where this obviously stops is when Modelling For Advantage (MFA) kicks in. This is one of those issues like voter fraud where the measures taken to stop it cause far greater problems than the limited number of incidents, but nonetheless with certain players it's an issue. I'd suggest the following:

1. Minis must be based on either the bases they were supplied with, or with the base sizes listed in the FAQ. Some exceptions may be made for scenic bases, legacy minis etc, but this must be pre-approved and is at the sole discretion of the TO.

2. All major conversions (not including minor changes like head swaps) must be pre-approved. Any heavily converted models must be easily recognisable (WYSIWYG) and must be on the base size listed in the FAQ. This is an exception to Rule 1.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Well he probably never played against a Vermintide,

try using a Deathrunner as your general

Giving him the crown of conquest (which will make your whole army immune to battleshock)

a plague priest who will not do to much,

But be a pain in the ass.

and the rest clanrats. (This usualy means having at least 160clanrats on the table)

Oh ahm sorry for asking but what kind of army do you play, I somehow lost myself in my skaveni deceiving tournament lists.?

Does the deathrunner really work? The scroll says the models are treated as separate units?

On 7/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, amysrevenge said:

The biggest thing you can do when something seems too good to be true is say "show me".  Get the warscrolls out (other than some battalions, you can even load them up for free on your own smartphone if it comes to it) and run through the details.

Any player who has worked out a legitimate combo will proudly show you exactly how it works.  If the combo is shady, the pride will fade and you might get evasion or fast-talking haha.

This is so true. Except it's usually me proudly preening around showing off my awesome combo to anyone who will listen. Then I usually lose the game hahaha 

• 1 month later...

I pretty much ahndled it, like Ben suggested to do.

But it was not on my purpose, because he did the step pretty much.

By having told, that his combos are very very ansty, but ok for a tournament, but he could maybe voluntarily decrease the skill level a little bit, to not push off other players, he just was not willing to participate in any way again.
Using a little harsh descriptions for the tournament he just leaved.

A shame.

I don't have an issue with conversions in generell, they are absolutely welcome, but not due to an abusive style of conversting.. That's the thing also with base sizes.
What the player did, was, to use standart models to bring up a conversion, where he didn't have the correct base size.
That's not ok, imo.

Conversions is a thing, to be proud of, and not just to use for making a simple rip off of an other model, that a player just don't wanna buy, because it might cost much.
What I wanna say is, I can't buy a single Paladin or one of that SE stadarts, put some wings from a prosecutor on it, and put it on a 40mm cardboard base to pretend, this is that celestant prime.

That's the level of conversions I don't accept. :)

Archived