Squig heavy Moonclan, is it viable?

swiftmus

Hey there,

I'm getting close to finished on my Wanderers and would like my next army to come from a different Grand Alliance as my group of friends all play Order armies. I have some Night Goblins from the Skull Pass (?) starter set from WHFB and always like the aesthetic of Squigs. So I was toying with the idea of a Moonclan army using lots of squigs.

Is this kind of army viable in any way? What sort of units and in what numbers would I need? Aiming to begin with ~1000 points worth.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I've used mine a couple of times, mangler squigs are a must, they're deadly, normal squigs die in droves and with really low bravery their numbers drop rapidly so I'd say field in units of 20 or more (I've got 15 so far). Not tried squig Hoppers out yet. 

Moonclan grotz are suprisingly good, I field a unit of 30 with spears inc 9 netters full command w both banners and fanatics of course. I've fielded a second unit of 20 with bows and fanatics but I'm not convinced they're worth it. 

The mooNolan batallion is worth using as well as 6s to hit grant your gobbos extra attacks. But you get less squigs overall.

My force so far is:

Warboss

Shaman

Shaman

30 Moonclan Grots w spears

20 Moonclan Grots w bows

15 squigs

10 herders 

2 Mangler squigs

6 fanatics

Comes in around 1200 points I believe.

Destruction: Orcs & Goblins has the MoonClan battalion, where you'll also find Snarsnik & Gobbla, who is a f****'in champ with that Command Ability!

& remember to bring a hoody, pref. black or bright yellow!

Mangler Squigs need a Mystic Shield cast on 'em (run a couple cheap MoonClan Grot Shamans, 1 to Mystic Shield & another to Curse of da Bad Moon!)

Only trouble is getting pewter or finecast Squigs at decent prices, but at least the Goblin Spears/Netters/Archers are cheap due to Battle for Skull Pass!

I had a look and price does indeed seem to be the barrier to this army since GW sells squigs (hoppers/regular) in 5s or 3 with herders. I think I may have to look elswhere for my next army which is a shame because I do like squigs :/

EDIT: got a good deal on an Ogre army on ebay so the squig idea is out the window but I will still be joining the ranks of destruction!

I took this army to a tournament two days ago:

warboss on squig

20 Moonclan grots with shields and swords

20 Moonclan grots with bows

2 fanatics (one in each unit)

5 Squig Hoppers

1 Mangler Squig

1 Colossal Squig

comes in at exactly 1000p and it did very well I thought. For 1500 a bunch of cave squigs, herders and 2 squig gobbas till be added (and played as doom divers). 

19 hours ago, swiftmus said:

Got a good deal on an Ogre army on ebay so the squig idea is out the window but I will still be joining the ranks of destruction!

I have never read anything more disappointing in my life. This thread had so much potential.

Those poor Squigs! Who will command them to victory now? Who will lead them in glorious Squiggy charges across the Realms? Who will crush all their foes beneath them in a triumphant display of Squiggy might?

Reconsider your choice. Go for a Moonclan and Squig army. It's the best thing ever.

If you need any encouragement, just look at all this army arrayed in all its Squiggly glory:

20160604_113850_zpsmxhrvxvf.jpg

I don't mind going sub-optimal for a fun themed list, but Cave Squigs are SO sub-optimal that they aren't really fun for me.  You try to use them like a squig should be used (ie. to run forward and munch on some chumps), but they don't do that.  At all.  In comp systems where wound counts apply toward capturing objectives, they can be affordable piles of wounds to camp on an objective waaaaay far away from any bad guys, but it is super risky if a wizard or small unit with shooting gets anywhere close, and it's not a satisfying way to utilize squigs at all.

All the other squiggly units are about as good as you'd think, or else FANTASTIC; it's just the Cave Squigs that I can't bring myself to field.

56 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I don't mind going sub-optimal for a fun themed list, but Cave Squigs are SO sub-optimal that they aren't really fun for me.  You try to use them like a squig should be used (ie. to run forward and munch on some chumps), but they don't do that.  At all.  In comp systems where wound counts apply toward capturing objectives, they can be affordable piles of wounds to camp on an objective waaaaay far away from any bad guys, but it is super risky if a wizard or small unit with shooting gets anywhere close, and it's not a satisfying way to utilize squigs at all.

All the other squiggly units are about as good as you'd think, or else FANTASTIC; it's just the Cave Squigs that I can't bring myself to field.

It's the Hoppers I haven't had much luck with. Have you got much experience using them?

They hit quite a bit harder (2A with the squig hopper vs 1A for the cave squig, plus a bonus terrible grot attack) such that it makes them worth it for me.  They are about as good as I would expect.  Not great, but not entirely useless either.  If the Cave Squigs also had 2A it would make all the difference.

On 25/07/2016 at 4:37 PM, amysrevenge said:

They hit quite a bit harder (2A with the squig hopper vs 1A for the cave squig, plus a bonus terrible grot attack) such that it makes them worth it for me.  They are about as good as I would expect.  Not great, but not entirely useless either.  If the Cave Squigs also had 2A it would make all the difference.

Agreed, 2A Cave Squigs would be awesome. I run them as part of the Great Moonclan formation, so that would also increase the number of 6s that could be rolled. The -1 Rend and D3 damage is tasty, but as you point out, their Bravery is absolute dross. It's really easy for the whole unit to evaporate after a few wounds gone with an Arcane Bolt and some mild shooting.

I tend to find though that people ignore them in favour of shooting at the Mangler Squigs, so they tend to get at least one or two rounds of combat in.

Archived