What if GW made limited edition parody models?

17 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Direct Parody would undermine the brand.

The closest you'll get is the White Dwarfs, or Roll Models.

Also, if I'm not mistaken - the original AoS *had* MTG: Unglued-style rules and was roundly condemned for it.

That's because it was the whole game, rather than optional one offs.

I actually welcome silly rules like early Sigmar had, but only when its an optional rules set to the side of the proper game; or in the case of things like Munchkin where its clearly the focus of the product from its inception. Sigmar's silly rules hit hard because it was all GW Released for the game. It wasn't a parody it was the rules. 

As for limited edition I'd welcome BoxTrolls - White Dwarves - etc... There can be a nice little bit to having models like that. Privateer Press has had their pin-up style models for a while. Now what I disagree with is when you do something like PP Minicrate where there's a tiny window of ordering and then no chance ever again (as opposed to every time there's a convention, so short term repeated sales)

they used to all the time before they went corporate.

On their other model lines there were always comedy names and theme take offs from popular film and TV references of the time. (slambo for instance) and lots of references to staff as well- Mad Mullah Ak'Land's (after Tony Ackland) death commandoes.

Nick Lund actually put the face of  manager he never got on with on a chaos dwarf cannon he had scultped, which never saw release before he went to work for grenadier.  The cannon became known as the ****** cannon, or the Ass Cannon to our American friends.

They were the part of the LE range.  Wizard with chainsword above

Wizard with sub machine gun

Dwarf with inferiority complex

Sanity clause

Space santa

Chaos Toilet

Inconvenienced dwarf

Some of the models you'll recognise as having become part of mainstream model lines in the years following.

the Amazon was actually the Amazon Gothique from the cover of a white dwarf, and often reffered to as the kinky chaosette - she came in a blister with the warlock and I have them both still with that original packaging, together with my LE9 thrud.

I also still have my power armoured trooper (incorrectly labelled in the link as power armoured marine) and also my LE1 and LE2 space orc and space marine.

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Limited_Editions_(Citadel)

:)

Dwarves use to have a load of funny ones. 

EL-Flasher-dwarf.jpg  EL-LE13-Inconvenienced-Dwarf.jpg

But that was a long time ago. Grombrindal use to have up to recently alternative "fun" minis (like in a Power Armor for WD's 40th Bday) but I think GW is too much "serious business" nowadays to regularly make joke models.

Don't forget the halfling pot-thrower model too.

There were a few sillies or grim-dark sillies in things. As for comic going away as they've gotten bigger I suspect its also because a model isn't now just Dave making something for fun and throwing it to Steve to part up in his spare time and then make a mould out of for a UK sale. It's not got a whole team behind it at various levels and the release isn't just a limited UK run but a world-wide release (even if its limited it still requires all the distribution etc....). Ergo whilst GW is a lot bigger it also costs them a lot more to make one model than it did in the past; and to bring that model to its market. So chances are we've seen less sillies because sillies cost - that and GW already has their plate very full making lots of modern stuff. 

That said we still get a few; like the Ork Cheerleaders for Bloodbowl! 

9 hours ago, Overread said:

Don't forget the halfling pot-thrower model too.

There were a few sillies or grim-dark sillies in things. As for comic going away as they've gotten bigger I suspect its also because a model isn't now just Dave making something for fun and throwing it to Steve to part up in his spare time and then make a mould out of for a UK sale. It's not got a whole team behind it at various levels and the release isn't just a limited UK run but a world-wide release (even if its limited it still requires all the distribution etc....). Ergo whilst GW is a lot bigger it also costs them a lot more to make one model than it did in the past; and to bring that model to its market. So chances are we've seen less sillies because sillies cost - that and GW already has their plate very full making lots of modern stuff. 

That said we still get a few; like the Ork Cheerleaders for Bloodbowl! 

Cut off their Pom poms and give them a Shoota and a Choppa and I think I just found my kill team :D

Archived